i30 Owners Club

Shock Absorbers

Doggie 1 · 127 · 41818

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Does anyone know what brand and specification (without being too technical  :)) of shock absorbers the i30 uses?
I imagine that they would be built down to a price.
I was wondering whether a worthwhile upgrade might be to fit a set of top quality dampers and if so, what sort of difference would it make to the ride?
I'm not into lowering cars, driving like I'm on a track, etc, but would appreciate some more comfort a more compliant ride.
I'm feeling that my ride is a little harsh and I'm wondering if that might be a legacy of the kms it's done?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The SLX ride is fairly firm .. Why not take it to peddars and a few other Suspension places and get some quotes and see what they say .. A 5 page report on here with photos etc.. should suffice  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The SLX ride is fairly firm .. Why not take it to peddars and a few other Suspension places and get some quotes and see what they say .. A 5 page report on here with photos etc.. should suffice  :whistler:

That's a good idea - I might do that.
I've always found that anything that comes out of Pedders tends to ride like a billy cart (although perhaps I'm being a little harsh :whistler:) but I do wonder what could be done.
I don't know what the life of a set of original equipment shocks would be likely to be. My car looks like it sits a little low at the back to me.
Although, after its last service I took it to check my tyres and no wonder it was a hard ride - they'd put 42psi all round and I never run them that high.
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
New shocks will give a firmer ride than "old" ones so as the car gets older the ride should soften if anything. Ride height is a function of the springs so "sitting lower" will not be the shocks either.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Ok, thanks. I'll have to re-look at it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
New shocks will give a firmer ride than "old" ones so as the car gets older the ride should soften if anything. Ride height is a function of the springs so "sitting lower" will not be the shocks either.

:whsaid:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Perhaps I should go in and see if they've got any really old ones then that have done 400,000 kms  :lol:
I thought that maybe the ride could be improved by fitting better quality ones.
Anyhow, I know it's not as late as in the east, but it's late enough and I'm off to bed me thinks.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The ride will soften with old shockers but you'll be bouncing all over the road....lol.

Better quality shocks would no doubt be worth buying....I betcha they won't be cheap though.

Anyhow, it time for bed here too..... :D

Sweetdreams Dave......

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Don't bother going to Pedders, you'll come out with a list of just about every suspension part needing to be replaced....Probably about 2-3k worth of work....

Seems if its a little dirty, it needs to be replaced.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Don't bother going to Pedders, you'll come out with a list of just about every suspension part needing to be replaced....Probably about 2-3k worth of work....

Seems if its a little dirty, it needs to be replaced.....

Hehehe, my daughter found that out...... :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks, that's pretty much what I've heard. Plus the initial fee to examine the car in the first place whereas most will do it for free.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Got them to look at the wife's car.

They quoted nearly 4k, and missed one of the things that was causing the problem.

On the plus side, they said the shocks my mechanic wanted to replace were fine, so in the end, saved me money.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the oz delivered i30's have a different strut/shocker set up for our crap road conditions.  :winker: they may be of a better quality than we think.  :idea: but i don't know what brand they are.  :-[ 
 when it comes to buying suspension parts from pedders I've found them excellent for race cars and new cars.  :mrgreen:  but when it comes to taking an old car there,bring along your check book.  :Shocked:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
the oz delivered i30's have a different strut/shocker set up for our crap road conditions.  :winker: they may be of a better quality than we think.  :idea: but i don't know what brand they are.  :-[ 
 when it comes to buying suspension parts from pedders I've found them excellent for race cars and new cars.  :mrgreen:  but when it comes to taking an old car there,bring along your check book.  :Shocked:
But how old is Dave's car. The Oz Suspension Upgrade" didn't happen from day one as I understand it. Maybe that's the issue.
Many years ago when I was managing a GY store and my Datto rally car was out the front, Brian Pedder came calling with my State Manager. he asked what struts I had and I told him Fulcrum Suspension had given me some Tokiko inserts which were pretty good. Oh. He says, I'll send you up a set of ours to try. They're much better.
Never arrived.
My State manager was already supporting me with tyres and asked later if they came. He was even less impressed than I was.

Having said that we have good business dealings with a pedders franchisee who has a couple of Brisbane stores.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I thought that the suspension upgrade was on the i45 and that the i30 was constant the whole way through?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I thought that the suspension upgrade was on the i45 and that the i30 was constant the whole way through?

Yeah, me too  :goodjob:

It's ok Dave, Trev is 64  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

It's ok Dave, Trev is 64  :whistler:
Can't be sure. I just seem to remember reading a couple of journo reports when I was looking at buying my i30 where they made the comment about how Hyundai had "addressed" suspension concerns by incorporating improvements suggested by Australian engineers.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:rofl: I'm not saying anything because in one short decade I'll be 64 too.
But I guess then Trev will be 74........
And Alan will be...   :whistler: Sorry, my calculator just blew up :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
:rofl: I'm not saying anything because in one short decade I'll be 64 too.
But I guess then Trev will be 74........
And Alan will be...   :whistler: Sorry, my calculator just blew up :lol:
I'll bet that Alan's still going strong in 10 years time.  :whistler:  :cool:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

It's OK Dave, Trev is 64  :whistler:
Can't be sure. I just seem to remember reading a couple of journo reports when I was looking at buying my i30 where they made the comment about how Hyundai had "addressed" suspension concerns by incorporating improvements suggested by Australian engineers.
in late 08 and in early 09 i read about the suspension changes in the oz i30's. our cars are 2/09 and 4/09 built.  :mrgreen:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
:rofl: :rofl: And in twenty  :D
when you put it that way Dave,I'm sorry Alan.  :blubber:

Pip
..in late 08 and in early 09 i read about the suspension changes in the oz i30's. our cars are 2/09 and 4/09 built.  :mrgreen:
I have a MY09 built September 08.  I have always been disappointed with the rather unnecessary understeer.  I'm still wondering whether to import an USA rear bar from their "CW" which is quite a bit thicker than ours. The only thing that stopped me earlier on was my inability to determine whether it would fit the hatch.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Here's a review of the i30 from 2007, seems like the tweaks were carried out before the i30 was released in OZ.... :goodjob:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/6719/2008-hyundai-i30-first-steer/

Suspension has been tweaked by a world renowned handling and ride guru, who carried out substantial testing on Australian roads which I’ve been reminded, are far worse than the UK’s much criticised “B” roads.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

It's OK Dave, Trev is 64  :whistler:
in late 08 and in early 09 i read about the suspension changes in the oz i30's. our cars are 2/09 and 4/09 built.  :mrgreen:

AHAA!!!
Old but still remembering things accurately. :goodjob2:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It's the short-term memory that goes first.  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK.
All jokes aside, here's the story on shock absorbers.
They lose their effectiveness progressively from day one but the process is such that most people don't notice it until well down the track. But if your vehicle has 100,000 klms on it you can be sure the effectiveness of your shocks is degraded enough to put you at risk in an emergency braking or swerving situation where it is imperative that you maintain your tyre's footprint firmly in contact with the road.
So,in Dave's case I expect ther is a harshness and some extra bounce in the ride which could be described in the way he says.
Fitting new shocks will return the suspension to what it is supposed to be, absorbing unnecessary upward and sownward movement withou too much effect on the car's stability, as well as making the passengers more comfortable.
Last year one of our stores fitted new shocks all round on their Falcon ute with about 120,000 klms on it. I didn't know about it and drove the vehicle one day. I came back to the store and told the manager how impressed I was with the old ute considering the mileage on it. He laughingly explained the situation to me.
Damned thing rides like a sedan, quiet and smooth.
Now, one last thing.
There is only one shockabsorber manufacturer in Australia.
They make their own brand as well as any OE vehicle requirements and any "other ones' marked as made in Australia.

The maker is Monroe and I have been dealing with their products since the 70's and I can't fault them.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's the short-term memory that goes first.  :whistler:
Huh?
What are you talking about/

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

OK.
All jokes aside, here's the story on shock absorbers.
They lose their effectiveness progressively from day one but the process is such that most people don't notice it until well down the track. But if your vehicle has 100,000 klms on it you can be sure the effectiveness of your shocks is degraded enough to put you at risk in an emergency braking or swerving situation where it is imperative that you maintain your tyre's footprint firmly in contact with the road.
So,in Dave's case I expect ther is a harshness and some extra bounce in the ride which could be described in the way he says.
Fitting new shocks will return the suspension to what it is supposed to be, absorbing unnecessary upward and sownward movement withou too much effect on the car's stability, as well as making the passengers more comfortable.
Last year one of our stores fitted new shocks all round on their Falcon ute with about 120,000 klms on it. I didn't know about it and drove the vehicle one day. I came back to the store and told the manager how impressed I was with the old ute considering the mileage on it. He laughingly explained the situation to me.
Damned thing rides like a sedan, quiet and smooth.
Now, one last thing.
There is only one shockabsorber manufacturer in Australia.
They make their own brand as well as any OE vehicle requirements and any "other ones' marked as made in Australia.

The maker is Monroe and I have been dealing with their products since the 70's and I can't fault them.

Great, thanks Trev, that is great info.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal