i30 Owners Club

How to correct your camber after you install lowering springs. I've got the fix.

Michael T · 16 · 12854

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...
A while back I installed the  Eibach Pro-Kit designed for our car. If you are not aware our cars do not come with any camber adjustability stock. The lowering springs WILL produce a lot of negative camber in the rear. I had almost 3 degrees in the rear which is WAY too much for a front wheel drive car. The front was almost neutral but I wanted a little negative camber upfront for my aggressive driving style.

For the front I went with camber bolts. I used TireRack.com for my website but camber bolts can really be found anywhere for 20 dollars or less. Because of how the knuckle and strut are designed I could not get much camber upfront but I ended up with .5 negative camber which is better than none.

The rear camber was the real problem I wanted to address. I found "NeoTech" adjustable rear trailing arms. I tried to read up as much as I could on the company Neotech and found they are very popular in Korea. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the trailing arms. I am very impressed with these units. They make the stock arms look like itty-bitty pieces of plastic. They are very bulky and the adjustability nut on them is a 26MM which is HUGE. They were easily adjusted at the car shop to 0 degrees of camber.

Install for both the camber bolts and the trailing arms is very easy. I would rate it a 3.5 out of 10 for difficulty.

There you are. You can lower your car and obtain a factory or better setting. There is no extra noise nor vibration.

I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sports and am ready to autocross the wagon.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Many thenks for this info Michael. :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
A while back I installed the  Eibach Pro-Kit designed for our car. If you are not aware our cars do not come with any camber adjustability stock. The lowering springs WILL produce a lot of negative camber in the rear. I had almost 3 degrees in the rear which is WAY too much for a front wheel drive car. The front was almost neutral but I wanted a little negative camber upfront for my aggressive driving style.

For the front I went with camber bolts. I used TireRack.com for my website but camber bolts can really be found anywhere for 20 dollars or less. Because of how the knuckle and strut are designed I could not get much camber upfront but I ended up with .5 negative camber which is better than none.

The rear camber was the real problem I wanted to address. I found "NeoTech" adjustable rear trailing arms. I tried to read up as much as I could on the company Neotech and found they are very popular in Korea. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the trailing arms. I am very impressed with these units. They make the stock arms look like itty-bitty pieces of plastic. They are very bulky and the adjustability nut on them is a 26MM which is HUGE. They were easily adjusted at the car shop to 0 degrees of camber.

Install for both the camber bolts and the trailing arms is very easy. I would rate it a 3.5 out of 10 for difficulty.

There you are. You can lower your car and obtain a factory or better setting. There is no extra noise nor vibration.

I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sports and am ready to autocross the wagon.

Michael, that's all a bit above my pay scale.  However I enjoyed reading it and thanks for sharing.   Oh and, well done  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, Michael. I looked at bolts and arms just as you did when I went for my new tyres but I wasn't looking at doing any lowering so the 'shop' agreed it was overkill. My camber was spot all around and just front toe-in needed fixing back to zero.

But you sure confirmed it's an easy job for those who want to lower. A had a giggle at your difficulty rating. Are you an Olympic diver by any chance? :snigger:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...
Thanks, Michael. I looked at bolts and arms just as you did when I went for my new tyres but I wasn't looking at doing any lowering so the 'shop' agreed it was overkill. My camber was spot all around and just front toe-in needed fixing back to zero.

But you sure confirmed it's an easy job for those who want to lower. A had a giggle at your difficulty rating. Are you an Olympic diver by any chance? :snigger:

The difficulty rating is scientific! LOL! I am not a diver, and do not get the joke. Am I too American to get it?

The shop is correct. The OEM alignment is fine for your daily driving but I really enjoy corner carving. I just wish I could get more negative camber upfront without having to modify the knuckle/strut or upgrading to coilovers.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Your reference to the degree of difficulty and the scoring system in Olympic springboard diving, has a few parallels. :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...
Your reference to the degree of difficulty and the scoring system in Olympic springboard diving, has a few parallels. :snigger:

:lol:

Thanks for the help.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
You want more camber? I'll tell you how to get it at $0 cost matey.

Where the strut bolts to the steering knuckle in the front there are 2 12mm bolts, undo them, lower the knuckle, file the top hole back to the strut tube, replace bolts, tip the knuckle back equal amounts, instant camber in the front, and it was free.

Don't thank me, buy me something.

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
No matey, its pretty self explanatory! file, dremil what ever, the top holes on the strut at the bottom where the knuckle goes on, back so the knuckle pivots on the lower bolt and turns 'in' at the top, giving you negative camber on the front.

you would only want 2~3 degrees on the front, i did it to my maxima when it had coil overs in it, HOLY F#@k did it turn nicely, but beware if the road has rutting, it makes it follow it lots more, and if the camber of the road changes (our 3 lane highways have 2 lanes sloping out, the other to the middle for water run off) and when you changed lanes between the differing camber lanes, it kind of hits the peak, then pulls the car nicely into the lane, feels different until you get used to it :)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
just beware, if you are running wider rims, it will put your wheel closer to the strut!

Offline jupitersj

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      New Jersey

• 2015 Subaru WRX Limited 2.0L T FA20DIT 6-speed MT
Eibach/SPC also makes a rear adjustable trailing arm(s) with a larger toe cam washer included. Eibach buys their bolts from SPC and sells them as their own.

Specialty Products Company | SPC Alignment | The Automotive Alignment Leaders

Amazon.com: Specialty Products Company 67410 Control Arm Shaft Kit: Automotive

Also, this hasn't been tested yet but I assume will work:

SPC
-----
Elantra Touring w/ Multi-Link Rear Susp. 2011 - 2012 FWD
Rear Camber: 67410   
Rear Toe: OEMA, 67410
Rear Toe Tool: 85130
Front Camber: 81260

Genesis Coupe 2010 - 2013 RWD
Front Camber: 81260

Hyundai OEM
----------------
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2008 - 2013
Camber Bolts: [00118-2M001]

I think the Genesis oem camber bolts may fit into the Elantra Touring

Offline canbslrdl

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Riviere-du-Loup
Finally, Thank you for the tip, was looking but not founding anything for rear camber

BTW, heres a link for my drop that ill be putting on and with the rear camber issue resolved..cant wait

:link: Ksport Adjustable Coilover Systems, Camber Kits and Suspension Products | Ksport Store

• 2012 Elantra touring gls

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal