i30 Owners Club

Looking for a mentor - Dual channel hardwire dash cam installation

Offline jezgadi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
So I'm about a week away from receiving my brand spankin' new i30 SR and being my very first car, I wanna secure it maximumumally! I've bought the following and I'm hoping someone(s) will be able to give me some guidance on how I should do the hardwiring. I've also looked into seeking a professional audio installer but my only option (note I live remote) is looking to charge me $115 per hour and they say it could take up to 6 hours....not including additional materials they may use. As much as I want a professional installation, that is just an absurd amount of money.

List of what I plan to use:

Car - i30 SR PD2 2018
Cellink Neo battery - :link: Cellink NEO Battery | BlackboxMyCar
Street Guardian - :link: SG9663DC Dash Cam Drive Recorder | Street Guardian
*Hardwiring kit - :link: SG9663DC Hardwire Kit - Add Parking Mode | Street Guardian

*Have 2 x Mini ATO fuse types as well. I've been told by Street Guardian that I need to use their HW kit or the parking mode option will not be enabled.

It's even harder for me to wrap my head around how to get this done as I've yet to received the car and based off the manual which I got online (EU version), there are definitely quite a few things I would like to know such as which fuses to tap into, which wires to clip off and what to splice......it's quite a bit to take in  :head_butt: :head_butt: :head_butt: so hopefully this forum will be able to provide some awesome help  :D :D
  • i30 SR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you’re using the hard wire kit then you won’t need the Cellink battery I think you use one or the other.

Offline jezgadi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
If you’re using the hard wire kit then you won’t need the Cellink battery I think you use one or the other.

Doesn't connecting the dashcam straight to the car via hardwire kit cause car battery issues in the long term? Was thinking connecting to the battery would help prolong the car battery's life.
  • i30 SR

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Doesn't connecting the dashcam straight to the car via hardwire kit cause car battery issues in the long term? Was thinking connecting to the battery would help prolong the car battery's life.

I flick my cars every 3  years  have never had to replace a battery but what makes you think a hardwired cam will decrease battery life.

The parking mode feature is there to ensure you dont get a flat battery so if the battery never goes flat its lifespan should not deteriorate..... happy to learn otherwise though.

FWIW ive had dual channel cams in all my cars ever since dash cams became a thing, they are not hard to install at all, read the instructions twice and proceed carefully, if something in the instructions does not make sense ask someone.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes car batteries aren’t designed for the constant draining the cam puts on them even with the protection cutout kits which is why I also used the Cellink battery, my cam plugs into the Cellink which keeps my 900s cam recording for around 25 hours in 4K extreme mode, hardwired to the fuse box the battery can draw 9amps and will fully charge in 19 minutes.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
All well and good but my observation is that the hardwire kit's main mission in supporting parking mode is to cut off at a predetermined car battery voltage level. That is battery protection right there. :winker:

As for the agony of waiting, that's just the anticipation. Once you have the car, the perceived complexity of the job tends to evaporate to the point of disappointment. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
All well and good but my observation is that the hardwire kit's main mission in supporting parking mode is to cut off at a predetermined car battery voltage level. That is battery protection right there. :winker:
It is battery protection Gonz, though repeated drain down to cut off point will shorten the batteries life, hence the reason external batteries like the Cellink/Blackvue were made and to also increase the parked recording time.

A few major auto companies will also void your battery warranty if not using external supply for dashcams, I know BMW were one of the first companies that pushed that rule and were key instigators in the sourcing of companies to build batteries for that purpose.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:03:51 by CraigB »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, Craig. I appreciate the additional detail and back story. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline jezgadi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks for all the responses guys, and yes I specifically bought the external battery to minimise any faults to my car battery....good to hear that it won't be as complex when I do actually get down to brass tacks setting it up but I will refer back again when I get stuck.
  • i30 SR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal