i30 Owners Club

Android head unit replacement, any tips, experiences or recommendations?

Offline marcus134

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Quebec
I have a 2016 (GD) elantra GT manual base model and I'm considering replacing my head unit for an android one.

On aliexpress they have those that don't require any din bracket and look interesting, however i'm hesitating at the idea of dropping 300$+ on aliexpress and for something that doesn't have any recognizable brand.

PX5 model
PX6 model

As these unit support steering wheel control, I'm also considering adding them. Given that I have a korean made one, if my skimming of the forum is right, I might not even need a clockspring, just the faceplate and the wire harness. (and it may also give me cruise control as well?)

The other feature I could be implementing with these unit would be the back up cam. As I understand, I can't get a genuine one from a salvage yard and make it work.  For those after market back up cam, aside from not knowing where would be the best place, their installation seems a lot more involved and invasive, i'm not sure if I can manage a "stock" looking installation.

So long story short, my shopping list would be:
head unit
steering wheel faceplate and wire harness (salvage yard)
clockspring (tbc)
plastic trim tools
back up cam (maybe)

Am I missing anything, any other neat thing to do while my dash is open. (might change the shift knob for the oem leather one, should I take the whole leather steering wheel at the salvage yard as well? ) Will the usb and aux input below the hvac contols work after the swap?

If you have any experience, I'd like to hear about it

• Enlantra gt 2016

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal