i30 Owners Club

Let's see those dash cameras please!

MT-RED · 17 · 4774

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Hiya everyone, I haven't really tested the breaks properly on my car until this AM when some woman on a 'suicide mission' decided to pull straight out in front of me  :-[ - . I am pleased to report they where bloody great and just got me out of it  :goodjob:

Made me think, I should really think about a dash cam for my new pride and joy. I would want it hard wiring and as invisible as possible behind the rear view mirror.

So I thought I'd ask. What you got and any pics to share?
  • 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Grey

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Mine is very basic Navi8tor model, Alan Ho and Craigb and a few others have gone into it pretty seriously and posted a fair bit of info in a few threads. If you don't get a lot of feedback I'll try and add some topic links in the next day or two.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Mine is very basic Navi8tor model, Alan Ho and Craigb and a few others have gone into it pretty seriously and posted a fair bit of info in a few threads. If you don't get a lot of feedback I'll try and add some topic links in the next day or two.

You sir are a true gent! :)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have recently installed a VIOFO A129 DUO camera which is excellent

It fits tight to the windscreen and hides behind the mirror as viewed by the driver.

The rear camera is also very compact and is connected by a cable to the front camera which records both videos on an SD card.

This is my post on the UK KIA forum which will give you more information

:link: Installing VIOFO Duo Dash Cams into My Niro - Kia Owners Club Forums

I highly recommend it

:link: Dash Cam VIOFO A129 Duo Dual Full HD 1080P with Sony: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

A note of caution whichever Dash Cam you buy. Fit a circular polarising filter to the lens – especially the front camera. It prevents reflections of the dashboard spoiling the video image.

Also buy a suitable SD card. Standard high speed SD cards have a short life because they are being constantly over-written. Even Sandisk high speed cards have a poor life.
I use the VIOFO recommended Transcend 128 GB High Endurance card.  In the long run buying an expensive high endurance card is an investment because they are reliable and will last much longer than high speed cards.
CraigB is really the guru on this subject. Hopefully he will add his recommendation.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:40:49 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Thanks Alan, looks good. Had not realised about lens filter, makes perfect sense and that's really great advice! Cheers ....  :D

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thanks Alan, looks good. Had not realised about lens filter, makes perfect sense and that's really great advice! Cheers ....  :D

I didn't see your post and have just edited mine - so take another look.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline ntebis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
I got the blackvue 750 duals installed. Bit pricey but i got them on sale. The quality is really good. Fortunately I did not have used them yet for an accident.
  • 2018 PD Active 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0, Auto, Plat. Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Definitely not a cheap cam though I like my 4K Blackvue DR900s :link: BlackVue DR900S-1CH Dash Cam - BlackVue Australia I cant see it at all behind the mirror and if it wasn't talking to me now and again I would totally forget it's there, night time footage could be a little better though day time footage is unmatched, support is good.

All settings are done via the phone app, I can watch the video replays and update camera firmware wirelessly via smart phone, download evidence to the phone, all footage can also be uploaded to the cloud for sharing/viewing wherever you may be.

Street Guardian :link: SGGCX2PRO | DashCamTalk would have to be one of the best cameras on the market in the wedge form with undoubtedly the best support of any brand, a bonus with Street Guardian is they even supply the CPL filter as standard.

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
This is the one I have been using since getting my I30 available from quite a few different places and a few different accessory options
Mini 0906 Dual HD 1080P Car Dash Camera
Developers website
Has worked without a hitch.

• 2017 PD i30 Elite, Diesel 1.6lt, DCT, Iron Grey

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Definitely not a cheap cam though I like my 4K Blackvue DR900s :link: BlackVue DR900S-1CH Dash Cam - BlackVue Australia I cant see it at all behind the mirror and if it wasn't talking to me now and again I would totally forget it's there, night time footage could be a little better though day time footage is unmatched, support is good.

All settings are done via the phone app, I can watch the video replays and update camera firmware wirelessly via smart phone, download evidence to the phone, all footage can also be uploaded to the cloud for sharing/viewing wherever you may be.

Street Guardian :link: SGGCX2PRO | DashCamTalk would have to be one of the best cameras on the market in the wedge form with undoubtedly the best support of any brand, a bonus with Street Guardian is they even supply the CPL filter as standard.
              The Street Guardian gets my vote as well. Has terrific after sales service as well.  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Our Santa has Schneider cameras.  SR790 at front (can't remember the rear), great system.
Download & alter settings by connecting via wi-fi from the unit. That's the hardest part to remember. Auto driving /parking / impact modes with great pics and sound. Talks to you when modes change  and tells you the time. Lane departure,  collision warning, night mode, etc.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I bought birthday boy @CraigB ‘s mini0806. It’s mounted nice and high between the windscreen and mirror, so much so that it looks like it’s part of the mirror. There are lots of reviews all over the net. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great response guys. Thanks for being so helpful to a new member.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
I just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone for your help and advise. I have installed my DashCam today and although I am sure I may have made some unusual decisions (especially with grounding cable location) I am happy with the install.

You are all great and thanks again.

I'll put a post up on my install shortly.

Offline freelover

• 1st Gear

• switzerland
Really interested in this product. I am currently looking into dash cams for sale and want something with quality. Viofo A129 seems to be the most popular one. I found a couple of others on this website from google and now I am confused which to choose. Is the Blackvue and Viofo durable?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 16:14:12 by freelover »
  • Hyundai

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Really interested in this product. I am currently looking into dash cams for sale and want something with quality. Viofo A129 seems to be the most popular one. I found a couple of others on this website from google and now I am confused which to choose. Is the Blackvue and Viofo durable?
You can read up on all cams here :link: DashCamTalk

Viofo gets good reviews and is best budget camera with good support, Blackvue 750 is very good all round, cheaper than the 900 which is also great but quite expensive and falls short on night time vision, unmatched daytime vision.

Street Guardian are great all round, come's with extras like CPL filter as standard and have one of the best support.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Another vote for Street Guardian. Their after sales service is terrific. I had a problem with one that was 3 years old and they replaced it with a newer, better one.
The owner is very customer focused.
He posts as "jokiin" on many of the dash cam sites.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal