i30 Owners Club

Broken parcel shelf strap knob peg

Offline calvinnwq

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
The knob that holds the loop strap for the parcel shelf has broken off. First image is the broken knob, second is the good one on the other side.

Any ideas if this is replaceable? Couldn't figure out how to remove it or find this part.

Otherwise any suggestions?

• i30 PD Active MY2018

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

:whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Calvin,

They are pretty strong, you were unlucky to break one.

Not sure how they secure but if nobody comes up  with a better idea I reckon my mate @The Gonz might be able to make somthing the right shape to fit over the remaining base.

He beat me!  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The OPs pictures aren't showing for me.

But Gonzs is.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

:whistler:

Better make 2 so you can balance the red   :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But Gonzs is.

Working for me. One is a picture of the normal log. The other shows the broken lug. Clean snap at the base so looks like a plug rather than a lug.

Offline calvinnwq

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
On the broken side, it looks like the end of a screw. I tried to hand twist the good side to see if I could simply unscrew it, but it didn't budge. Was afraid to use pliers to do it in case the good side snaps off too!

Good idea to 3D print, but don't have one at home. Might get a colleague to help. How would you recommend securing the printed knob on the broken side?
  • i30 PD Active MY2018

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

On the broken side, it looks like the end of a screw. I tried to hand twist the good side to see if I could simply unscrew it, but it didn't budge. Was afraid to use pliers to do it in case the good side snaps off too!

Good idea to 3D print, but don't have one at home. Might get a colleague to help. How would you recommend securing the printed knob on the broken side?

The Gonz has a 3D printer and an i30... if the replacement was designed to fit over the broken lug some Loctite 401 glue or similar.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

But Gonzs is.

Working for me. One is a picture of the normal log. The other shows the broken lug. Clean snap at the base so looks like a plug rather than a lug.
They work on my PC but not my tablet or phone.  :crazy1:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If anyone can identity the part online, I could try replicating the whole piece from the image.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Depending on the thickness behind the base, I'd be inclined to just try a self tapping screw.

Yeah. I know. Not the best looking solution but, failing all else, with a bit of black paint I doubt anyone would notice.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The bump posts by the taillights visible when you open the boot are probably a feasible replacement.

Offline calvinnwq

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
If anyone can identity the part online, I could try replicating the whole piece from the image.

Have been trying to search the part but to no avail. Could only provide the picture of the non broken side. :(
  • i30 PD Active MY2018

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Depending on the thickness behind the base, I'd be inclined to just try a self tapping screw.

Yeah. I know. Not the best looking solution but, failing all else, with a bit of black paint I doubt anyone would notice.

I second that suggestion. I'm sure you'd be able to find one suitable in fact black ones like what come with mudflaps would already be close enough to the right colour and size.  If that worked you could snap the other one off and use two screws so they matched. You would be best to drill a pilot hole in the broken lug. You would risk the lug coming out when you drill the pilot hole but that would then solve your first dilemma. :goodjob:

Offline calvinnwq

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
I'll have a go again tomorrow at seeing if the good side can be unscrewed out. Otherwise I'll look at the self tapping screw option or finding something to glue over. Thanks!
  • i30 PD Active MY2018

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll have a go again tomorrow at seeing if the good side can be unscrewed out. Otherwise I'll look at the self tapping screw option or finding something to glue over. Thanks!

Don't rush. Gonz will enjoy the challenge of making you something at an extremely reasonable cost. He is a good bloke (not putting him under pressure or anything)

..and talking of under pressure, if anyone can find the part number it is our guru Gerard @tw2005

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Don't rush. Gonz will enjoy the challenge of making you something at an extremely reasonable cost. He is a good bloke (not putting him under pressure or anything)

..and talking of under pressure, if anyone can find the part number it is our guru Gerard @tw2005
I've retired from being helpful, I'm joining the dark side and going to be antagonistic from now on. Can't get any darn perts from O'seas and I have Rock Auto being deceptive to a question on freight. There is no economy air freight coming in.  That's from FEDEX, :crazy1: :crazy2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
P.S. Can you make 2 x friction plates and 2 x steel plates for a A5HF1 trans with these 3D thingies. @The Gonz

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Is this on a PD that's under warranty?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
817321K000TRY

Held on by a self tapper inside the trim

Offline calvinnwq

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia

Still within the 5 year warranty. Not sure if the genuine part is a 12 month warranty.
  • i30 PD Active MY2018

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Still within the 5 year warranty. Not sure if the genuine part is a 12 month warranty.
Did you break it or did it fail? It should be covered except if you caused it to break, costs stuff all o'seas, I'd guess $8-11 here, hit the dealer up or wrecker but you'll likely get stuck with the whole trim so could be counter productive.

Offline calvinnwq

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia

Did you break it or did it fail? It should be covered except if you caused it to break, costs stuff all o'seas, I'd guess $8-11 here, hit the dealer up or wrecker but you'll likely get stuck with the whole trim so could be counter productive.

Car was bought used with it already broken unfortunately.
  • i30 PD Active MY2018

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Bugger!

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Think you're mistaken
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Think you're mistaken
sneaky, although it will be hard to justify failure.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
P.S. Can you make 2 x friction plates and 2 x steel plates for a A5HF1 trans with these 3D thingies. @The Gonz
:faint:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm picturing a rather elegant workaround:
- neatly drill through the centre of the broken base
- replicate a spacer that matches the healthy post's profile (3D printed of course!)
- use a self tapper in the new hole to hold the spacer in place

For this idea to take flight (mandatory air force reference) just post accurate measurements:
- upper (head) diameter
- lower (post) diameter
- head thickness and post height
- dimensions of the necessary self-tapping screw

I can use the image of the healthy one to use the measurements effectively and post a 3D file for you to give to your nearest printer, or we can determine postage cost (item manufacturing cost probably less than A$1).

However, googling the part number kindly supplied by tw, and his comment, I suspect the screw comes from inside, in which case you may need to remove the trim before you're able to remove the posts anyway. I that case, It will be simpler for me to design a whole new piece and you can use the screw that should already be there.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 13:06:53 by The Gonz »

Offline calvinnwq

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
I'm picturing a rather elegant workaround:
- neatly drill through the centre of the broken base
- replicate a spacer that matches the healthy post's profile (3D printed of course!)
- use a self tapper in the new hole to hold the spacer in place

For this idea to take flight (mandatory air force reference) just post accurate measurements:
- upper (head) diameter
- lower (post) diameter
- head thickness and post height
- dimensions of the necessary self-tapping screw

I can use the image of the healthy one to use the measurements effectively and post a 3D file for you to give to your nearest printer, or we can determine postage cost (item manufacturing cost probably less than A$1).

I'll report back tomorrow!
  • i30 PD Active MY2018

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Never mind, Calvin, I have the design now, no need for specs:

This suggests it indeed fastens from within, so you'll need to get the trim off to replace it.
If you're keen on one, I can do it up this weekend in any colour you like as long as it is red, then you can paint it black or grey to suit.

Confirm with a few details (including diameter to check I have the right scale) in a PM and we can talk dollars cents. :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal