i30 Owners Club

Android Auto / Apple Car Play - GD Nav Models - United Kingdom

MT-RED · 8 · 2489

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Hi All, sorry a bit of a newbie question I am hoping people can help me out on.

I am yet to collect my 2017 GD Premium which I really loved but the one thing which I thought was a shame was the lack of Android Auto / Apple Car Play capability (well and the lack of DAB here in the UK also).

I am reading a lot about Android / Apple being made available via a software update but in regions outside of the UK. Does anyone know if this is already (or will be) an available update for the UK?

I have included a picture of the system within the car - apologies I don't know the model number for it.

Would really appreciate your feedback on this - thanks  :)
  • 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Grey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi MT-RED, I’m not sure whether the navigation units in GD models ever got the CarPlay/Android Auto :undecided: might pay you to ring your local Hyundai and ask...

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Thanks Craig, I am awaiting some feedback from the dealer / Hyundai themselves. I'll update this thread once I have a response but figured another member might have come across this before in the UK :)

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
So the feedback from Hyundai UK is that this head unit is not compatible for Android Auto and there is no plans for them to release an update which might enable this service. No comment on CarPlay as yet but I expect the response on that query to be the same....

Its a shame, I will be doing some more digging into what the actual blockers are for enabling the service on this head unit as I am curious. Time will tell if I get anywhere with this and i'll keep this thread updated.....

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Hyundai UK have now also confirmed that Apple CarPlay is the same for this media unit, therefore no software update planned to introduce this functionality either - as expected.

Still unsure on what the compatibility blocker is and Hyundai UK are just referring me to a dealer for more information. Seems unlikely they will know but ill ask ;)

Ill keep digging on this one......

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hyundai UK have now also confirmed that Apple CarPlay is the same for this media unit, therefore no software update planned to introduce this functionality either - as expected.

Still unsure on what the compatibility blocker is and Hyundai UK are just referring me to a dealer for more information. Seems unlikely they will know but ill ask ;)

Ill keep digging on this one......

Does seem odd. I thought my Step Daughter's 2016 GD SR Premium had Android Auto? But she is in Australia. I would send her a message, but I'd start a barrage of messages backwards and forwards. I'll try and remember to check next time she's here.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Thanks mate, appreciated  :goodjob:

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
So based in the feedback I am getting, Android Auto and Car Play wont be making its way if you have one of these head units. It seems there is no plans to look to upgrade the software to accommodate these features.

I expect it is possible at a hardware level but don't think Hyundai (or their partners) are planning to invest the time in developing the software. I am also led to believe the service is not available in any region for customers with this head unit, if anyone knows differently it would be good to know ...but I doubt it.

Oh well, not really an issue but would have been a nice to have update  :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal