i30 Owners Club

new glow plugs now runs rough

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
Hello al...

I have a 2011 face lift i30 1.6crdi 116.. 47k miles, bought it 10 days ago and only done 40miles in it.. bought it from a dealer ( not Hyundai ) and the first morning it wouldn't start, the car went back and they put glow plugs in it and told me to collect it ( I had to find my own way so I walked the 5 miles ) it drove home quiet and smooth but I went to start it when it had cooled down and the heat light only came on for a second and the car ran like a tractor.... The outside temp was +3 deg.. Is there anything else that could cause the heat lamp to come on for too short a time ? What determines the glow time of the plugs ? Coolant temp or air temp ?

How long should the heat lamp stay on for ? Might it be poor quality glow plugs causing the rough running when cold ? I am away at the moment so can't try the car until I get back.. I just wanted to get an understanding on how sensitive to glow plugs the CRDI engine is..

Who makes the genuine Glow Plugs ? I use Beru in my Citroen but they are very expensive for the Hyundai.
 Does the CRDI need a low plug to heat quickly or hot ? There are some great videos on You Tube showing how different makes have different characteristics.. Well worth a watch.. There is a wide choice of prices in glow plugs for the CRDI, genuine at £40 each or Bosch / NGK for £40 a set..

Any info would be gratefully accepted..   
  • 2011 1.6 CRDI COMFORT BLACK

guest9517
Some other guy had an issue, where it was the fuse for the plugs that were gone..So try to measure the voltage before you start thinking of alternates, maybe one of the old one had short circuited.

& a little advice...The plugs they have from factory is the ones you should use. A few mm shorter & they have no effect whatsoever...Not all Youtube videos are trustworthy ;-)

They are VERY quick to get warm, so it doesnt sound to far off with the time, but does indeed sound like they dont glow.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just hope they put new plugs in and not some from another car on the lot.

Can you check them to make sure they are the correct plugs for the car.

Is fuel level ok and not drawing up muck.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
Chipmik;
 Thanks for your reply.. They did admit that they had an issue getting the correct plugs as the 'supplier' sent the plugs for the prefacelift model which were different ?? I don't know if there is any truth in that...

eye30;
 Thanks for your reply.. Correct plugs might be the issue but there was only 30 miles in the tank according to the trip computer on the dash when I picked the car up.. Crap fuel flow might also be an issue which is why I have a new fuel filter ready to go on..

I don't know if I should take the car back to the garage, it is a bit of a faff and not knowing what is happening with my own car drives me nuts... I just don't trust anyone else.. Comes from riding a motorbike I suppose...

guest9517
Its one of the big fuses at the battery that is used for the glowplugs...Check your manual  :goodjob:

If they have put in other plugs, you should return it, as the current they use (= time they should be on & how they "afterglow" once the engine has started & is warming up, also can be different.

Offline Umanist

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      stoke
Hi,

My understanding diesel engines  is that glow plugs are there to simply warm up the injected fuel enough to aid combustion.

As soon as the engine has started the glow plugs have done their job.

You  will find that on a full battery the starter motor will create so much repeat compression ( which is very high in diesel cylinders) that the temperature will rise rapidly, due pressure, and start the engine anyhow! However , over time this would drain the battery and also burn out the starter motor - HENCE GLOW PLUGS !

GLOW PLUGS have nothing to do with a running engine - except if their seals were not tight and pressure was escaping.

As far as the engine running badly is concerned , that seems likely some other issue. I myself have taken two months to discover I have blow-by from my injectors and even the main dealers took £90 from me as pure diagnosis charge ( me foolishly thinking they have all the high tech diagnostic tools etc et., Yet they failed to spot this issue. So I am not confident in main dealers or their integrity to be honest - apart from that of writing large invoices and having luxurious facilities for themselves !

I hope the dealer in your case rectifies the issue they sold you? Good luck !
  • i30 hatch 2011-2012 1.6crdi, hatch , silver D4FB engine.

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
Thank you all...

Well I took the car for a spin today, starting was like this; air temp +6 deg C, glow lamp on for approx. 3 seconds, key turned immediately, took another 2-3 seconds to start and sounded like a Diesel, not smooth / quiet as I expected... anyway when I got back from the 16 mile drive the engine sounded better but I'm still not convinced it sounds as good as it should.. Maybe I'm paranoid but if an engine aint smooth it's sick.. Do you know what I mean when I say it sounds like a Diesel ? A bit like an old engine, a knock here, a knock there...

I don't want to cause any trouble but is the Diesel engine supposed to be smooth and quiet ?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
36710-2A100 superceeded by 36710-2A200 for the D4FB is what I see

EDIT:

36710-2A700,  EURO 5
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:38:16 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline kamikazeeugen

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
As ChipMik said, check the fuse for the glow plugs! I think that none off the plugs are working. Are connected through a metalic strip wich can bend easy and touch the head or other grounded part of the engine wich will cause that fuse to blow. Check the connection at that strip too.
In my engine, the glow plugs are on even after starting the engine for aprox 5 minutes...depends on the coolant temp but they dont go out imediate after the engine is started. This is one reason, i think, causes them to fail soo often. I changed 2 sets till now. 110k km.
Goodluck!
  • 2013 I30 CW 1.6 crdi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The  post from kamikazeeugen is correct although 5 mins seems a bit too long.

Your first post  @golftoeye30  could be a bit more precise. Does it continue to run rough all day?
If so, it is not plugs.
Even with dud plugs the motor should eventually start. Seems yours didn't?
There is a large green fuse 80Amp .I think. that protects the  the plug circuit. Check to see if it is blown.
Given your info, check for other faults.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline kamikazeeugen

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
I will make a test tomorrow morning and then with engine at full temp for comparison. To see how much glow plugs are on depending on the coolant temp.
  • 2013 I30 CW 1.6 crdi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I will make a test tomorrow morning and then with engine at full temp for comparison. To see how much glow plugs are on depending on the coolant temp.

Being in a warm climate, most of the time a CRDi with dead glow plugs will still start after the motor is wound through a couple of cycles. Lots of white smoke.
On a good functioning motor I have recorded the plugs being powered for a couple of minutes. Same time even if you do not start the car. I may be wrong, but I have the impression that coolant temp does not have any input.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline kamikazeeugen

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
So. As promissed. In the morning, 8 degrees Celsius, the bulb was on for 4 seconds, started fine with few more turns though because i disconnected the plug from the glow plugs to fit the multimeter.
The glow plugs were energised for another 2 minutes and 30 seconds. At office, with engine at operating temp, the light was out instant but the glow plugs remained active for 25 seconds after startup.
At freezing temps, the light stays on (normally) for longer and the plugs are energised for longer period after engine startup. In extreme conditions (intake air temp very low) the ECU can command the plugs to go on even the engine is at full operating temp to keep the combustion chamber at correct temp.
Hope this helps!
Regards!
Eugen
  • 2013 I30 CW 1.6 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
From the FD manual.

preheat indication lamp lights for about 6 seconds and indicates battery voltage (about 9V or over) for about 36 seconds immediately after ignition switch is turned on. [At cooling water temperature 20°C (68.0°F)]

Continuity time varies depending upon cooling water temperature.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I stand corrected, the water temp does play some role here although our cars will be at about 20C at start or soon after.

Eugen has mentioned that the glow plugs come on in extreme conditions - low air temperature.  :goodjob2:
That is probably why we see Europeans complaining about short plug life, I don't see it as an issue downunder.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Pretty much as discussed.

:link: glow plugs.pdf - Google Drive
:D I agree.
Everything gets re-discussed here :rolleyes:
But occasionally there is a possible gem.... for instance, the linked page doesn't mention air temperature

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire

Your first post  @golftoeye30  could be a bit more precise. Does it continue to run rough all day?
If so, it is not plugs.
There is a large green fuse 80Amp .I think. that protects the  the plug circuit. Check to see if it is blown.

Hiya, the car does start and it runs great, if a little noisy, Starts when its warm no problem. I will need to check the fuse..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

If so, it is not plugs.

Hiya, the car does start and it runs great, if a little noisy, Starts when its warm no problem. I will need to check the fuse..

Thanks, in that case stick with the glow plugs. Fuse may feel a bit warm if the circuit is operational.

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
Great, thanks..

Next 1Million Dollar Question.. Which brand of Glow plug should I get ?

They all seem to be very expensive for the Euro5 motor at £27 each, the Euro4 ones are cheap at £9 each..

Beru ?  GN062 FOR EURO4..
 Denso ? DG602 FOR EURO4..
 NGK ?  Y527J FOR EURO4..
 Bosch ?  0250 212 011 FOR EURO4..

I know NGK don't work well in my Berlingo 1.9D, Beru are what I have fitted in that..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 18:14:11 by golftoeye30 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If that part number is correct, this video suggests OEM are in fact NGK CZ203

:link: ????? ??????, HYUNDAI, 367102A700 - YouTube

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
The question of Euro4 and Euro5 is confusing me, How do I tell which engine my car has ? is there a label somewhere ? My car is on the cross over year.. The cat Car Info I have, has a part number for both using the chassis number..   :crazy2:

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx
 Sorry, UK only..

I have found out my car is Euro 4, it took a while but Surfing the 'Net is the only way sometimes...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 21:52:09 by golftoeye30 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The question of Euro4 and Euro5 is confusing me, How do I tell which engine my car has ? is there a label somewhere ? My car is on the cross over year.. The cat Car Info I have, has a part number for both using the chassis number..   :crazy2:
Confusing me too as I did not realise or see that until you mentioned it.
anyway entering the VIN at ILCATS or you can PM me it or the dealer should be able to tell which part was fitted at the factory.

The part number will be on the one you pull out

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
it might not be your glow plugs at all, I asked the dealer about this when I started to get rough idle on starting. It turned out to be the fuel not the car. I switched suppliers and added a fuel stabiliser no more issues

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal