i30 Owners Club

Replacement key/remote for 2017 i30 PD (MY18)

Guest · 51 · 9263

guest12451
That price for a genuine fob is pretty good. Might be worth getting a quote from several dealers to program one of those. Best case scenario maybe $50 would be great. Surely it couldn't be more than a $100. What is a genuine fob including programming from a dealer, $400 to $500? If so $140 to $200 all up would be a great result I reckon.
Great minds think alike so earlier in the day I've asked both the remaining locksmiths if they'd be able to program/cut the key from my existing one if I sourced the genuine Hyundai fob - it's just a matter of whether they have the machine thats capable of it - which I assume they should.

I can imagine they'll be less than impressed not being able to provide the hardware themselves, as obviously thats where they're able to mark up a lot - but as it is it seems they can't access the fob and so hopefully they're happy to just do what they can (the cutting/cloning) if I bring the fob....anyway haven't heard back yet so we'll see.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That price for a genuine fob is pretty good. Might be worth getting a quote from several dealers to program one of those. Best case scenario maybe $50 would be great. Surely it couldn't be more than a $100. What is a genuine fob including programming from a dealer, $400 to $500? If so $140 to $200 all up would be a great result I reckon.  :cool:

Not sure about the cost Dazz. We had to replace a key for my wife's 2012 Corolla. Remote Central Locking and transponder but no proximity or push start stuff. Still over $200 from my pet automotive locksmith.
The blank wasn't the large part of the cost.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Jeepers! Expensive little buggers!  :head_butt:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
A good friend with a good jig and lathe might be able to do the cutting, and the blanks are available on eBay for A$6-7 delivered.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

guest12451
A good friend with a good jig and lathe might be able to do the cutting, and the blanks are available on eBay for A$6-7 delivered.
Oh alas the key blade is really the last of my concerns - I was actually going to post and ask what really is the use of them for a remote locked car - as I found that if I lock the car with the remote and then try and open it with the blade/key the alarm goes off and there'sno way to start it - so it's pretty much useless. The fob is the essential bit - so I was talking about the electronic 'cutting/cloning' of it from the existing working fob.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, understood, I was referring to the non-electronic part of the effort. For the electronics, I think someone here got the programming kit and was willing to lend it to members.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

guest12451
Yes, understood, I was referring to the non-electronic part of the effort.
Oh sorry I wasn't aware - yes, well the thing with the key blade is I'm really unsure for this model of PD what the actual use of it is?  Like I said the only thing that you can do with it is unlock the door - now the caveat being that assuming the car has been locked with the remote - unlocking the door even with the correct key will now set the alarm off and presumably activate the immobiliser as well.  I believe on the Go and Active models the key would still have a purpose but it seems on the Elite and presumably the Premium as well the key's are a bit redundant and really only there for 'tradition'.

For the electronics, I think someone here got the programming kit and was willing to lend it to members.
Really?  Well look if thats the case thats incredibly kind and generous of them - suffice to say I don't know if that still is the case but if so I'd happily pay for such a thing and obviously cover all postage costs etc.  Don't know if/how I'd go about finding that person - suffice to say their kind offer might have lapsed, which is completely fine - anyway I suppose we'll see in due course.

FWIW I finally heard back from the Hyundai dealership - only took a full week for them to respond after I sent a gentle reminder - they quoted:
Key Fob 95440G3100 $ 576.35
Key insert 81999G3020 $ 40.85
Programming $ 71.50
Key cutting $ 49.50
Total $ 738.20

Pretty goddamn horrendous!!!  I mean really if thats the cost for a Hyundai fob then whats a Porsche or Maserati worth?But atleast I have the correct part numbers now and can source them via 3rd parties and at worst case annoy dealer by taking them to them for cutting/processing.  I was recommended to do this by a guy who seems savvy with this type of thing - so getting the exact part numbers and also an upper guide of the potential savings was the main rationale.

The dealer stated that they'd program the key into the ECU as a completely new key - not cloning.

Honestly though that is disgusting price gouging - considering they're getting them for likely 1/10th of the unit price - pretty shameful effort.

Offline splo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
just a thought could you use a second hand key from a wrecker and just purchase the key insert and then cut and program??
  • i30

guest12451
just a thought could you use a second hand key from a wrecker and just purchase the key insert and then cut and program??
Yes, you could but unfortunately several issues - firstly, wreckers are very hard to search for parts - I've just checked the couple that do have searchable online inventories - no luck.

Second, it's a very rare part - only several cars within the PD line seem to have them - and hence there's very few wrecks with these.  And even then it'd be tough to be certain it'd work. Wreckers also tend to be pretty smart in that they don't sell their parts for just what they cost them plus a bit - they find out what the genuine parts are through dealers and then mark back from this.  So it'd almost certainly be cheaper to buy brand new item from OS - which is what i think I'll certainly do now that I know the part number.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This has been a really interesting thread.. enjoying the journey.

Price gouging indeed!  :crazy1:

guest12451
This has been a really interesting thread.. enjoying the journey.
Haha well atleast that makes one of us.  I can't say I've derived quite the pleasure from it thus far.

Price gouging indeed!  :crazy1:
Yeah thats really ordinary - anyway it was expected so it's not like it surprised me but it certainly won't have me wanting to give them any of my loyalty in the future.  Haha I am kind of interested to see how I'd go if I did get the genuine fob by ordering OS and then took it to the dealer that quoted and said,"Ill take you up on the programming item in your quote - as thats all I need."  I can imagine they'd be livid as they'd feel it's their god given right to provide any genuine keys....anyway I'd much prefer to not go through them at all so we'll see.

I had a bit of a long shot idea - as mentioned a while back the guy I bought the car from actually was the 2nd owner of it, having bought it from the 1st owners back in DEC18.  He claimed when he bought it from them it only came with the single key, the 1st owners having only provided it. Luckily I had the contact details for those people via all the paperwork he'd given me so I penned a humbly worded email to them asking if on an off chance they'd happened to come across the other fob and offering a finders fee if they had managed to do so.

I reckon it's a complete longshot and all but certain to fail but very little risk vs high reward - so we'll see. Stranger things have happened. If that doesn't come in I'll order one of these genuine fobs from OS and then try and get it programmed/cloned here.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a good idea contacting the 1st owner..  :cool:

guest12451
That's a good idea contacting the 1st owner..  :cool:
Yes, well I thought so too - alas it's now nearly a full week and despite having written a very humble message (apologising for contacting them and offering a reward) I have no received any reply - given there wasn't a bounceback I am figuring the person is likely just a jerk and doesn't have it - but I'll give a tad longer and then call the number I have - worst case scenario they find out I can be a jerk as well. ;-)

On the other fronts - very little progress......the only local guy who claims he can do auto keys for such cars, as apparently you need some kind of security clearance or licence - well for reasons best known to him after me giving him the VIN and the FCC ID's he's now gone completely AWOL on me - no replies to asking if he's still able to assist.

Then there's some complete geezer from a Sydney based mob, Replacement Car Keys - they are an absolutely PITA to deal with - honestly its either a retarded orangutan or a 11yr old communicating from their end. A simple, normal question of them takes are 5 back and forths to get answered. They clearly play games with you trying to overcharge if they think you're not aware of what it is they actually do - I'm still waiting to hear back from them as the orangutan must have wandered off for a banana - but I'd highly recommend avoiding them if possible - they're muppets!

I get the feeling folks who work in this area are used to absolutely shafting people who have lost their keys and so feel it's their 'birthright' to charge whatever they want without explanation - when you ask them what exactly their quote entails they take major offence to it. e.g for the quotes they gave(which was like pulling teeth to get) (which was a laughable $660 if they did all, $180 if I provided the genuine fob+security PINcode and with keyblade cut  and $120 if I provided the genuine fob+PINcode+ no keyblade needed) - I asked this SYD based mob 3 times in a row crystal clear - for your quote is that a clone of the existing fob or a programming into the ECO of another key? 

Apparently it's a pretty reasonable question as their very different and the former is inferior to the latter and also is much easier to do.  Nah, they didn't like that question. 

EDIT: Just got a msg from them now saying it' was for a new key programmed into the ECU as they claim you cannot clone these fobs.

HONESTLY if I knew exactly which machine to buy and it's wasn't crazy expensive - I think I'd strongly consider buying and doing myself - though I suspect the original plan of buying the genuine fob myself and then getting the dealer to program that in (which they quoted very good price on) makes most sense......haha just have to spring that on them at time of next service when they can hopefully be convinced to honour their quote as they're effectively charging me $350 for an oil change.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If we hadn't followed your attempts to sort this from the start, you wouldn't believe it would you.  :crazy1:

I've seen plenty of examples of your considered and concise communications on here and you've certainly given it a good shot.  :crazy2:

If you can end up at least halving the $600 + dealer quote it will be worth it just on principle, but you will have earned every penny.

No wonder I was mostly highly considered (I think) by most of my past employers and customers. I used to bend over backwards to help where I could and went out of my way to keep them in the loop if there were any delays.  :cool:

guest12451
If we hadn't followed your attempts to sort this from the start, you wouldn't believe it would you.  :crazy1:
Well I think I said it earlier in this saga (and to be fair it could all be solved if I just happily paid the dealer the $700 or so but it's just emails and I don't expect to lose the single remaining fob I have so not too fussed on resolving ASAP) - I am amazed its so hard and expensive to get whats the only way you can start/use whats a very common and quite entry level car.  And it's a 2017 model, not something thats just rolled off the boat direct from the factory floor.

I've seen plenty of examples of your considered and concise communications on here and you've certainly given it a good shot.  :crazy2:
Well thats kind of you to say but I've plenty of time on my hands and also am happy to be rather 'verbose' in replying and somewhat thorough - as opposed to the borderline monosyllabic stuff that seems to now pass as professional communications from the folks I've 'lucked' into dealing with. I used to work in some pretty high end corporate sales stuff and also upper management - so I dunno I just try and do things properly as well it doesn't cost any more to do so...but hey thats just me. :-)

The trick and challenge is to bite one's tongue despite the fact you get treated like something the dog dragged in by a person who you would assume wants your patronage so they can earn an income - haha it at times with these people seems like I'm asking them to do me a huge favour - I dunno but the people I've dealt with have been very, very unimpressive in nearly all regards.

If you can end up at least halving the $600 + dealer quote it will be worth it just on principle, but you will have earned every penny.
This is true and it's funny you make that observation as sometimes I think I need to put an hourly $ figure on my effort into this stuff as if I just did as Joe Average does and worked into the Hyundai dealership and paid what they asked I'd have the fob, a lighter wallet, a few less grey hairs and a bunch of hours back...but as they say the pleasure is in the journey not the destination.   :undecided:

No wonder I was mostly highly considered (I think) by most of my past employers and customers. I used to bend over backwards to help where I could and went out of my way to keep them in the loop if there were any delays.  :cool:
That doesn't surprise me from what little I've been able to observe of you in the very limited time I've been in these here parts - I'm a tad the same way and get myself in issues with folks when I go beyond the call of duty and then feel this was not appreciated - but thats another discussion altogether.

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
My personal opinion is the only way to go is a new key supplied and programmed by a dealer. Using a cloned key still leaves the old key programmed and working with the potential but unlikely occurrence of the previous owner stealing it. A dealer will program your new key and delete the old. You could buy the blank from the parts department and just get the service department to program it for you.  You could then take the keys to a lock smith and have them cut the blank. This will save you a few $ but it would be easier to just get the dealer to do it all.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

guest12451
My personal opinion is the only way to go is a new key supplied and programmed by a dealer. Using a cloned key still leaves the old key programmed and working with the potential but unlikely occurrence of the previous owner stealing it. A dealer will program your new key and delete the old.
I hear you but I tend to think there's other ways to consider first - I'll grant you it'd certainly be the most simple way.  As mentioned earlier, the previous owners are 500KM+ away if they wanted to come and steal it - which'd be a heck of a plan for a lil ole i30 - good luck to them.

Seeing as the same OEM key is ~$550 from dealer and it looks like maybe ~$100 delivered from OS - it's something worth looking into (as I am).

I've already gotten the Hyundai dealer to confirm in writing that their quote is still good if I don't get all of it from them - so I'd be happy for them to do the programming. Anyway we'll see....

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Try contacting Hyundai and asking for a one off special price for the key as you really need a spare but are struggling to come up with the exorbitant amount of money they want. I used to ask customers to do this all the time when I was working at a Dealership (not Hyundai) and even had an internal contact for special price considerations on certain high dollar items.  It could be worse I once waited 2 weeks for a Chrysler Crossfire key to be made and sent from Germany at a cost of over $1000 and the stupid thing is at Mercedes the same key could usually  be had within 24hrs for way less money and that was 11 years ago so I hate to think how much they would be now.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

guest12451
Try contacting Hyundai and asking for a one off special price for the key as you really need a spare but are struggling to come up with the exorbitant amount of money they want. I used to ask customers to do this all the time when I was working at a Dealership (not Hyundai) and even had an internal contact for special price considerations on certain high dollar items.  It could be worse I once waited 2 weeks for a Chrysler Crossfire key to be made and sent from Germany at a cost of over $1000 and the stupid thing is at Mercedes the same key could usually  be had within 24hrs for way less money and that was 11 years ago so I hate to think how much they would be now.
It's handy to know such things exist but IMHO if they did reduce it'd still be a lot more expensive than the genuine OEM key from OS. So as I'm in no rush I'm going to play that path out first.

Yes, there's no logical linkage between the brand and actual item costs - somewhat odd.  Appreciate the suggestion though, good outside the box idea.

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I'm sure you've done your homework but just double check the transmitter is the same frequency and compatible as when I was at Chrysler/Jeep we would get people bringing in remotes and immobiliser keys bough OS for us to program that would not work.  There is a great site called  partsouq.com that you can look up parts for many makes on by using a VIN. It is not foolproof but is a great resource I have used on many jobs.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

guest12451
I'm sure you've done your homework but just double check the transmitter is the same frequency and compatible as when I was at Chrysler/Jeep we would get people bringing in remotes and immobiliser keys bough OS for us to program that would not work.  There is a great site called  partsouq.com that you can look up parts for many makes on by using a VIN. It is not foolproof but is a great resource I have used on many jobs.
Thanks mate - thats appreciated but yes it's been a PITA enough process that I've thankfully picked up some good info from kind folks like yourself along the way - so I have identified the correct FCC ID for the fob and am ensuring that the replacement is tracked down via that and also the genuine part number, which Hyundai quoted on here - so pretty sure I know exactly what to get but I have bookmarked that site for future usage, so thanks.
---------------

FWIW on a related issue I got an email confirmation from Hyundai Australia that there is NO CHARGE from Hyundai delaerships for your Security PIN code for key cutting.

Customer Care (Hyundai Customer Care)

Aug 15, 4:59 PM AEST
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for your email, apologies for the confusion as there are no charges if you are requesting the key cut code from the dealer. Apologies as I had got this confused with radio pin codes which is a separate matter.
Kind regards,
Leilani Mataipule
Social Media Specialist
Hyundai Motor Company Australia
:link: Customer Care Centre
Phone: 1800 186 306

So hopefully that can assist if anyone in the future needs to get theirs. :-)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal