• Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Seems odd the Active range will now use the 2ltr from the current SR but the new SR will have a 1.6ltr turbo, why not just turbo the 2ltr :rolleyes: thinking on that the 1.6ltr having chain driven timing would be a stronger choice for a turbo engine.

Looking forward to the N series reveal :clapping:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Manufacturers always proudly boast that the suspension is tuned for local conditions.

I'm not convinced.

They should just tune all cars for UK conditions. We have some of the roughest and smoothest tarmac surfaces

We have World class unfilled potholes, cracks, tram lines, speed humps, permanent puddles, vicious cambers and bends, steep hills etc.

We have hundreds of miles of unpaved roads with deep ruts, holes, mud slides and just about every other hazard

We now some of the worst drivers in the World who have recently arrived on our shores with unbelievable driving habits

Nuff said...
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Manufacturers always proudly boast that the suspension is tuned for local conditions.

I'm not convinced.

They should just tune all cars for UK conditions. We have some of the roughest and smoothest tarmac surfaces

We have World class unfilled potholes, cracks, tram lines, speed humps, permanent puddles, vicious cambers and bends, steep hills etc.

We have hundreds of miles of unpaved roads with deep ruts, holes, mud slides and just about every other hazard

We now some of the worst drivers in the World who have recently arrived on our shores with unbelievable driving habits

Nuff said...
I had the Euro tuned suspension on mine when I first got it, much to soft and unresponsive for our thousands of km's of beautiful smooth roads :D

Offline Thunderbird

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Seems odd the Active range will now use the 2ltr from the current SR but the new SR will have a 1.6ltr turbo, why not just turbo the 2ltr :rolleyes: thinking on that the 1.6ltr having chain driven timing would be a stronger choice for a turbo engine.

The 2ltr doesn't have a timing chain? The salesman said it does and I can't find the service for a timing belt replacement on the Hyundai website with $490 being the highest charge for a scheduled service, during the life of the vehicle. Although it does say inspect timing belt but that may be just a case of lost in translation. Please correct me if I am wrong :)  :confused:
  • 2016 SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Sparkling Metal

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

The 2ltr doesn't have a timing chain? The salesman said it does and I can't find the service for a timing belt replacement on the Hyundai website with $490 being the highest charge for a scheduled service, during the life of the vehicle. Although it does say inspect timing belt but that may be just a case of lost in translation. Please correct me if I am wrong :)  :confused:
I wouldn't know if it does or not :Dunno: @cruiserfied will know.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Around where i live i've noticed by potholes they have recently erected a stand with a lifebelt on and for the deeper ones, flare guns and the phone number for the local lifeboat.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

I wouldn't know if it does or not :Dunno: @cruiserfied will know.

Nah the 2lt is chain.

And im guessing they arent turboing the 2lt for the SR because thats what the Namyang is getting.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
And im guessing they arent turboing the 2lt for the SR because thats what the Namyang is getting.
I thought the N would use the 1.6 as well but 2ltr sounds great, if competing with other 2lt sports hatches on the market we should be looking in the area of 300 ponies me thinks  :happydance:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I thought the N would use the 1.6 as well but 2ltr sounds great, if competing with other 2lt sports hatches on the market we should be looking in the area of 300 ponies me thinks  :happydance:

The engine dyno teaser video flashes over 250hp but Hyundai will always tune conservitively.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

The engine dyno teaser video flashes over 250hp but Hyundai will always tune conservitively.
Yeah that's quite conservative, hopefully the weight is quite low to counteract it as there's several on the market that'd wipe the floor with it so if they want a piece of the pie they need to come up with something pretty special, a real ball tearer :)

The Astra VXR 2ltr turbo is 206kw/276hp/400lb-ft (the new 2016-2017 model is supposed to be 210kw) and the Golf R 2ltr turbo is 217kw/291hp/280lb-ft and the Ford Focus RS 2.3ltr turbo is 257kw/344hp/440lb-ft - 470lb-ft in overboost

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Yeah that's quite conservative, hopefully the weight is quite low to counteract it as there's several on the market that'd wipe the floor with it so if they want a piece of the pie they need to come up with something pretty special, a real ball tearer :)

The Astra VXR 2ltr turbo is 206kw/276hp/400lb-ft (the new 2016-2017 model is supposed to be 210kw) and the Golf R 2ltr turbo is 217kw/291hp/280lb-ft and the Ford Focus RS 2.3ltr turbo is 257kw/344hp/440lb-ft - 470lb-ft in overboost

On the upside the N brand top dog is already talking about next level. Something like 300+ AWD Golf killer. Still wont happen though.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The 2l engine isn't a bad choice in current form 124kw v 107kw for a very small increase in fuel economy 7.3/7.7 vs 7/7.3 (Combined).

With a bit of effort (and hopefully no detune) they can hopefully achieve the holy grail of much better power for the same (or a reduction) in fuel economy.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The entry-level models will get an automatic transmission as standard<

So can one assume there is no manual tranny available in any of the run of the mill i30"s then?  :crazy1:  :head_knock:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Could be a no cost option.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Could be a no cost option.....

I guess it's possible but as they have never offered it previously on models with auto only I suspect it's not gonna happen...  :(

The 2l engine isn't a bad choice in current form 124kw v 107kw for a very small increase in fuel economy 7.3/7.7 vs 7/7.3 (Combined).

With a bit of effort (and hopefully no detune) they can hopefully achieve the holy grail of much better power for the same (or a reduction) in fuel economy.

People will probably accept poorer fuel economy in a so called sporty model but will they be so accepting of it in the more popular models?  :undecided:
Hyundai had to detuned the 2 litre engine previously to enable it to meet pollution laws resulting in less power and increased fuel consumption so that doesn't bode well for the future...especially with our pollution laws getting ever stricter...  :undecided:

Hyundai were already behind the eight ball with the 1.8 in regards to fuel economy...getting even worse fuel consumption with the new model will do nothing for their sales...especially when other manufacturers are offering cars with ever decreasing fuel consumption...

That's my 2 bobs worth anyhow...  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal