i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 Creators Edition: Anyone tried it yet?

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Hi Craig, thank you for the info :)

Just wanted to mention that  about computer related issues I  am  computer science graduate, with msc etc
programmer  I use computers from dos 3.3 so I had all version of dos and windows the last 30years :)

So my opinion was based on benchmark (my passmark benchmark - a very known computer benchmark, was slower after the update).
Generally on every large scale update windows become safer, visually improved and little bit slower in the same processor. Just processors become faster and faster and so that's not a problem.

Also if someone have an ssd hard disk that is a very fast hard disk, it's not allowed to do defrag, It may destroy the disk :)
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've not experienced any slowness after upgrading, quite the opposite actually as all 12 systems I've upgraded in the last couple of weeks have noticeably become quicker.

I know what defragging an SSD's does :whistler:  any modern Defragmenter as well the built Windows Defragmenter will detect an SSD is installed and apply the necessary Trim :)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My experience has been positive on my desktop and laptop which both have intel i5 engines and an SSD C: drive.  Both computers remain responsive with a fast boot and shut-down. The few extra features I have tried are welcome. I have no gripes whatsoever.

My wife has a laptop with an intel i3 CPU and she hasn't noticed any difference other than I had to reinstall the Sonos media system she uses to irritate me with her horrid choice of pop music. This may well not be the fault of the update - the Sonos was temperamental before.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Thank you for the info. Specially Craig for the interest.

There is no noticeable change in speed for ordinary use.
In my computer the passmark score - after update is 5100
and beforewas 6100 and it's a meter of the cpu speed for applications...

It's here:
:link: PassMark product listing - Diagnostic and test software for computers
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I wouldn't pay to much notice to those benchmark programs, they're all snake oil imo...once they've tested your system most of them then try to offer you something else to fix whatever problem it thinks you have :rolleyes: do note that running bench test programs will generally do more harm to your SSD than Defragmenting would, maybe it's the over use of these programs which is causing your systems to become slower :undecided:

My tests are done with day to day real world use :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Lately I'm getting regular messages from Windows about this.
Does that mean it's going to happen regardless?
I keep getting asked to review my settings.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
On a side note. I don't have the latest machines, mainly 2010 core 2 duo Toshibas.

Mrs machine which is a A500, 2.66Ghz 4Gb RAM 1Gb dedicated video card is the ny one we took the free W10 offer on.

Personally I find the new layout frustrating. Her video card went was ATI. There also a NVIDIA card also suited to the board and almost impossible to find parts cheap.

Installed the GT230M card, nothing but dramas and black screens etc. Not the card, not the PC, but drivers issue and W10. Latest version too.

Seems to be a common issue NVIDIA and W10. Flawless on 7
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think I'd read on the NVidia website that Windows 10 needs at minimal a GForce 400 to 500 series card for compatibility, I haven't tested with anything lower than the 500 though so I can't confirm but win 10 definitely runs well with my GForce 500 card in the lappy.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I think I'd read on the NVidia website that Windows 10 needs at minimal a GForce 400 to 500 series card for compatibility, I haven't tested with anything lower than the 500 though so I can't confirm but win 10 definitely runs well with my GForce 500 card in the lappy.

I have not read any further but It's surprising the ATI HD4650 though has no issue and from the same model in fact was in the first A500, then They went NVIDIA GT230M, then GT330M.

Looks like my options are, swapover an ATI card from one of my spares or scrap 10 back to 7.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal