i30 Owners Club

Petrol consumption normal?

Offline jaxon1robards

• 1st Gear
Hello all! I currently own a Hyundai i30 2.0 (2L engine) and was wondering if my 10L per 100km was a normal amount of fuel consumption? Please let me know and also tell me what you are getting? Thanks, Jackson :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slydog
What year is your car and is it an auto or manual?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi jaxon1robards,
Also the type of driving,  freeway driving,  city traffic,  spirited going ,  combo of all,  all variables that are in the mix to determine if it's the so called  "normal ". The longer the car is accelerating & stopping,  again and again and again,  the worse the economy.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline jaxon1robards

• 1st Gear
Hi thankyou for your replies! It is a 2010 model and Manual.

The type of driving is basically the "normal" driving haha.

And Also, this measurement wasn't made by my car. I was able to work this out as I have 45L tank and I am getting 400kms on a full tank. Just for extra info
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:03:22 by jaxon1robards »

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
you can compare here
:link: I30 CW (Hyundai i30cw) | Fuelly
thats what I am getting
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
you can compare here
:link: I30 CW (Hyundai i30cw) | Fuelly
thats what I am getting

Jaxon's is a 2.0 (it appears your is a 1.6?)

@jaxon1robards

Your method of calculating economy doesn't sound very accurate. You need to try and either brim the tank use as much of it as possible and then brim it again making a note of the exact mileage at start and end. Notinhg the exact number of litres used. To get an accurate figure you really need to do this several times in a row. If you aren't confident doing the maths share the figures on here and someone will work it out for you.

If your calculations are correct (unlikely) that is a bit high. My wife had a 2010 model 2.0 ltr petrol wagon (CW) manual and we calculated that at between 7.5 and 8 ltr/100 and she wasn't doing a lot of longer trips.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hello all! I currently own a Hyundai i30 2.0 (2L engine) and was wondering if my 10L per 100km was a normal amount of fuel consumption? Please let me know and also tell me what you are getting? Thanks, Jackson :D

Jackson I get about 9.5, city driving without the aircon going. Having the aircon going pushes it to 10-10.5. On  country trips I average 7.5, fully laden, aircon on and with a kayak on the roof.
  • Hyundai i30 SR 2.0 GDI 2015 White

Offline jaxon1robards

• 1st Gear

Jackson I get about 9.5, city driving without the aircon going. Having the aircon going pushes it to 10-10.5. On  country trips I average 7.5, fully laden, aircon on and with a kayak on the roof.

I just completed a trip which was pretty much all freeway roads and I got pretty much the EXACT same as you! Except I didn't have a kayak on the roof haha

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

If your calculations are correct (unlikely) that is a bit high. My wife had a 2010 model 2.0 ltr petrol wagon (CW) manual and we calculated that at between 7.5 and 8 ltr/100 and she wasn't doing a lot of longer trips.

Congratulations to Mrs Dazzler. She must be a good driver to achieve 7.5/8. I can never get below 9 in suburban traffic no matter how sedately I drive. Of course my car is a 2015 SR and the ECU may be programmed more for emission control or power and not economy. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Congratulations to Mrs Dazzler. She must be a good driver to achieve 7.5/8. I can never get below 9 in suburban traffic no matter how sedately I drive. Of course my car is a 2015 SR and the ECU may be programmed more for emission control or power and not economy.

Is yours a manual? Hers was a 6 speed manual with the old (beta?) engine. Only 105 kw I think and not the GDi engine.

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Is yours a manual? Hers was a 6 speed manual with the old (beta?) engine. Only 105 kw I think and not the GDi engine.

Yes mine is a 6 speed manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unfortunately fuel economy is one area where Hyundai are lagging behind some other manufacturers. There are exceptions like the 1.6 CRDi and the 1.6 litre naturally aspirated GDi motor.

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Just had a week or more of colder wetter and foggier weather. Consumption has dropped from 9.5/6
to 9.2/3 and this is with the aircon being turned on frequently to demist . In summer using the aircon pushes consumption up to 10.5 and I've found it far more economical to drive with the windows down instead of using the aircon.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just had a week or more of colder wetter and foggier weather. Consumption has dropped from 9.5/6
to 9.2/3 and this is with the aircon being turned on frequently to demist . In summer using the aircon pushes consumption up to 10.5 and I've found it far more economical to drive with the windows down instead of using the aircon.

Even though I live in a cooler location I still use aircon a fair bit. I've never noticed much effect on economy in any of my cars by using it.  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't notice much difference with aircon on, usually I'm sitting on 6.2 and will average 6.5 with aircon on.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Normal is a  hard definition.
Ours has varied between 5.7 and 9.7 depending on where we are going  AND the terrain.
We're happy with above figures   :happydance:

Offline jaxon1robards

• 1st Gear
I just did the accurate measurements but am confused on the calculations. I have travelled 364.1kms as have consumed 38.44L of fuel. If anyone would be kind enough to calculate accurately, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
364.1 km ÷ 38.44 l = 9.471 km/l   yes / no

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

= 10.56 litres per 100 kilometres!

What you got? A V8 model??

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A handy tool for those that want it :link: Litres Per 100 KM - Car Petrol Cost Calculator
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:09:47 by CraigB »

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Another handy tool here:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?page=pageECO
That's a good one :goodjob2: fairly well hidden away, I had to search around to see where it's placed and eventually found it on the home page :head_knock: :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yep - also a sticky in the General Fuel board

:link: GENERAL FUEL DISCUSSION
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
joxen1,
Economy is a massive variable .
You came out at 10.5 per 100 or 9.4 km per litre. Economy  is what you use over a distance.
If your bumper to bumper at 15 k , or  stopped then up to 50 then stopped etc, or you've dropped the foot into it for a quick fang up the road, it kills economy.
Record the k's ÷ by the fuel,  say 6 times and see what you. Pretty rare for 2 cars to travel the same route at the same time and get the same economy.
As I said elsewhere - we've had a range between 5.7 and 9.5 per 100.
Our 4wd gets 12 on a trip and up 16 around town - changed driving style lately and only using 14 around town. 2 L saved ,  :happydance: but miss how it  powers on from 3500 and 6000   I  :spitty:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal