i30 Owners Club

Just bought an i30. Any ownership advice from the pros/experienced?

Offline klyvenator

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi guys,
Yesterday I bought a 2015 (MY16) i30 Active X Auto. Just have a couple of questions as a new owner of this i30.

1. What fuel does Hyundai recommend/what is the car designed to run best on? I know that Unleaded is specified in the manual but is it better to use 95/98? Or can I just stick with 91?
2. Does my car's model come with window tinting as a factory standard? (I can't really tell from looking at the car and there's no mention of it on the original purchase receipt docket). I would like to get the darkest legal tint on my car and need to know if I will incur fees for stripping off any previous tint.
3. There is a strange smell in the car, not sure if it's coming from the air con or what but it smells like animal feed/fertilizer. (Bought the car from a rural area and they didn't keep it very clean) Any tips on how to get rid of that smell?
4. Any recommendations for a window tinter and car detailer in Sydney?
5. Any other ownership/maintenance advice as a new new i30 owner?

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:04:30 by klyvenator »
  • Hyundai i30 2010 Petrol 2.0 SX

Offline trevor

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hello there! Congratulations on your purchase! I'm also a recent owner..... and definitely not an expert, but I think I can answer most of your questions!

1. The petrol engine's recommended fuel is 91 Unleaded, but has the capability to run on E10 as far as I know. You can definitely stick with 91, but numerous mechanics that I've used have always recommended filling up with 98 Unleaded every once in a while just to give your engine a clean.

2. I just purchased the Active X as well, my car did not come with "dark" tinting, but it does come with a certain level of "clear" tinting, which blocks some undetermined amount of UV. I don't think the front windshield has any tint. I'd super recommend additional tinting, especially since you have those Leather [appointed] seats! (I'm also looking at tinted windows.. and am on the fence between 3M Colour Stable and Crystalline tint... but leaning slightly towards Crystalline due to its heat repelling properties... although it is more expensive than standard tints)

3. I'd have a mechanic take a look at the filters in your car, especially those that have to do with the air conditioning. They may be very dirty. I'd recommend changing it out, and see how that goes. If that doesn't help, there are professional air conditioning cleaning services that have antimicrobial treatments... But if it's not from the car and from the seats etc... then I'd have to recommend deodorising products and sprays.. or get it professionally cleaned.

4. I've been recommended Carbon Car Systems for tinting - they use a precise machine to cut the tint films instead of the more traditional way (using a knife to cut around the edges - which could lead to damage to your window, seals etc.). But I don't know if that technology is standard...(?). I've got quoted about $350 for full 3M Colour Stable and $799 for Crystalline for my i30.

5. If the car doesn't have mats - GET THEM! It'll be much easier to clean than the actual flooring of the vehicle... I'd also recommend updating the software of the audio unit so that its up to date (to include Android Auto) if it hasn't already been done - should be FREE to do at any Hyundai dealership (apparently doesn't take more than 15 minutes). I can't think of anything else... but if I do - I'll add them ;)

Hope I've helped!

From one Active X owner to another - ENJOY YOUR CAR!

TREVOR!  :happydance:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:32:27 by trevor »
  • i30 2016 Active X GD4 Series 2 Update 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8L, Manual, White

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
1. 91 is the recommended but I personally would use 95 just for the better cleaning abilities on a standard vehicle.

2. No tint from factory ( do not purchase tint from factory unless you like being ripped off :) ), it's UV rated glass but still requires tint.

3. Check the cabin filter as it might need replacing and some spray foaming interior cleaner should get rid of any other unwanted odours.

4. Tint a Car's Octane window tint has the darkest black looking tint on the market http://www.tintacar.com.au/car-tinting/octane-window-tint#

5. Enjoy driving it and stick to the service intervals :goodjob2:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: klyvenator
5. Any other ownership/maintenance advice as a new i30 owner?

Welcome back! Do you still have your i30 2010 SX auto 2.0 petrol?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline klyvenator

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Quote from: klyvenator
5. Any other ownership/maintenance advice as a new i30 owner?

Welcome back! Do you still have your i30 2010 SX auto 2.0 petrol?

No I don't. Someone crashed into it while it was parked and wrote it off! I only had it for a year. Oops let me just clarify, a new "new" i30 owner.

Thanks everyone for your tips

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcomeback: klyvenator,

Good posting Trevor (and Craig)  :goodjob:

Most of your questions have been covered but just a couple of points. The very light factory tint wont have to be stripped off before the other tint is applied. I recommend the Octane tint (had that a couple of times)

No need to pay to have Cabin filter checked and cleaned. It is quite easy to access behind the glove box. I believe you can buy them cheaply online (ebay?) if too dirty to clean properly.

You might need to take the carpets out to deodorise them properly.

Good luck with the new car.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline klyvenator

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Forgot to ask. Can my i30 have ApplePlay and AndroidAuto?
It is the 2015 Active X MY16. Built in July/15 and Complied in Aug or Sep/15

Offline trevor

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
It should have Apple Carplay Compatibility in-built already. I don't have the resources to 100% confirm regarding your specific model... but you can check for yourself; Go to your car, hit the Media button. Is there an Apple Carplay option? If so, you *should* be able to get the *FREE* software update to include Android Auto as well.

If anything, just stop by a Hyundai dealer / service centre, I'm sure they would be able to help you out!

TREVOR!  :happydance:
  • i30 2016 Active X GD4 Series 2 Update 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8L, Manual, White

Offline tartakobsky

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
welcum! you might want to install this ($7 from ebay)

• I30 Active GD4 Series 2

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Can we have a link to the eBay listing please @tartakobsky? :)
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal