i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 Creators Edition: Anyone tried it yet?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I decided to give it a go. Just downloading it now...

:link: Download Windows 10
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've already installed it on 3 systems so far with the media update tool a week ago, only another 4 to go :)

Very smooth upgrade on all systems, apps removed from earlier builds at last don't get re-installed - except the xbox apps, there were a few new ones though but easily removed with CCleaner uninstall.

Disable or remove security software if you have any installed, generally not an issue but there have been a few reports of AV's bugging the upgrade.

If you cant find the Control Panel, type C into the Start Menu and you can right click to pin to Start or Taskbar, the build itself is much snappier than the last, I'm happy with it :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah seems rather smooth, though little other difference from the Anni edition.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah not much changed in the look, lots of changes under the hood though with optimisations.

The old Defender UI is gone and Control Panel and Program and Features are hidden away, Task manager gives a better overview of all processes now being individualised rather than grouped.

I'm happy enough with it to have already deleted the old copy from the drive with Disk Clean-up (Admin)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I just clicked the wifi icon in my taskbar and my router instantly went down for 10 mins - all my cameras went red. Very spooky. Back now, though.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Go to All Settings/Privacy and make sure Radios and Other Devices is turned off if not already.

And turn off unnecessary apps in Background apps, the only app I've left running there is Defender.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah my privacy settings are as I want them.

Quote from: CraigB
And turn off unnecessary apps in Background apps, the only app I've left running there is Defender.

That's a great call :D

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
is this a free install? I don't see it mention a product key except for Windows Office?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
More of an upgrade.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
More of an upgrade.

Yeah, option 1, product key needed. Wife has 10 on a laptop I did just to see what it was like. I'm more comfortable with 7

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
So,
any real benefits for the average W10 user?

Or leave well enough alone?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So,

There's a considerable speed boost, Win 10 anniversary was quicker than Win 7 but this new update is quicker again, internal security levels have been hardened which is always a benefit.

It's quite a smooth upgrade process Trev, give it a go :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
is this a free install? I don't see it mention a product key except for Windows Office?
It's free for your wife's computer as you had previously upgraded it to Win 10 within the upgrade time frame, not so for any system that hadn't upgraded to 10 at some stage to get their digital license recorded.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
So,

There's a considerable speed boost, Win 10 anniversary was quicker than Win 7 but this new update is quicker again, internal security levels have been hardened which is always a benefit.

It's quite a smooth upgrade process Trev, give it a go :goodjob2:

Thanks mate.

I really can't fault the speed of my W10. It starts up and turns off in way less than 30 seconds and that's now I've added two more internal HDDs which have to be checked in the process.
TBH the only speed issues relate to out ADSL1 connection.  :fum:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah the slowest part of my setup is ADSL2, who knows when the NBN will ever get here :rolleyes:

Anyway! no rush to upgrade Trev but the under the hood security upgrades in the new OS should be one of the main concerns for people to move on.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Why do they call it "Creator's" edition?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think it was because they took on a lot of advice from users so as to "create" a version based on user opinions.

One example would be the changes made in Windows updates, more options in there to defer updates, Task Manager now gives a better detailed view...etc

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Free if already upgraded to 10 correct?
Better and quicker than 7 ?
Youngest daughter did the 10 upgrade - crashed  -   not good 1st yr on her own at uni in Canberra,  $150 later  for disc etc she was happy. We weren't,  told her to keep using  7 .

Slowest part of our system is the operator   :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Did read that if you jump the queue instead of waiting until they offer the upgrade the settings will automatically go on default. If you wait until offered your settings will not be lost.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Free if already upgraded to 10 correct?
Better and quicker than 7 ?
Youngest daughter did the 10 upgrade - crashed  -   not good 1st yr on her own at uni in Canberra,  $150 later  for disc etc she was happy. We weren't,  told her to keep using  7 .

Slowest part of our system is the operator   :lol:
Without knowing what her system was and what was installed is almost impossible to know what cause her system to crash but most likely the Anti-virus was to blame, should always be disabled or uninstalled before OS upgrades.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Did read that if you jump the queue instead of waiting until they offer the upgrade the settings will automatically go on default. If you wait until offered your settings will not be lost.
The upgrade giving through the Media creation tool a week ago is the same as what is being delivered via Windows updates, settings are not lost :)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

God Speed  :hahaha:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've noticed a marginal increase in "stuff". Stuff happens quicker then the previous stuff.

Plus we seem to have Microsoft Paint 3D now, in the program list. I'm shit at graphics so maybe I didn't see it there before. No idea how to use it though.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm shit with graphic's as well so that app got the boot :) left it on Kamini's Surface Pro as she'll play around with it and it's more suitable for touchscreens.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Don't install our buggy Windows 10 Creators Update, begs Microsoft

Microsoft has urged non-tech-savvy people – or anyone who just wants a stable computer – to not download and install this year's biggest revision to Windows by hand. And that's because it may well bork your machine.

It's been two weeks since Microsoft made its Creators Update available, and we were previously warned it will be a trickle-out rather than a massive rollout. Now, Redmond has urged users to stop manually fetching and installing the code, and instead wait for it to be automatically offered to your computer when it's ready

:link: Don't install our buggy Windows 10 Creators Update, begs Microsoft ? The Register

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Steve, It's only a concern for older systems that came preinstalled with XP and Vista that have had a few bugs.

Any of the newer systems released after 2009 wont have a problem :goodjob2:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Indeed - I did read the article ;)

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
I have installed the update.

In my opinion I found the update a bit heavy. My system works a little bit slower now.
But it's ok generally any large update in windows make the system little bit slower as it runs
more apps :)
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have installed the update.

In my opinion I found the update a bit heavy. My system works a little bit slower now.
But it's ok generally any large update in windows make the system little bit slower as it runs
more apps :)
Try running Disk Clean-up in administrator mode which will provide the option to remove a lot of junk of the system, if you're happy with the current Win 10 upgrade you an also tick the box to remove the Windows Old file, once that's completed run the Windows Defragment tool to optimise your drives.

Hope that helps :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal