i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 CW 1.6 Crdi 2013

Offline Jdcchora

• 1st Gear
Good morning everyone,

I want to know how many litters of oil this engine should take.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• I30 Cw 1.6

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It will be mentioned in your vehicle Owners Manual ( Specifications section )

Offline Jdcchora

• 1st Gear
Thanks

• I30 Cw 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Usually 5 litres is enough though because a little bit of residual oil is left when it is drained... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Jdcchora

• 1st Gear
Thanks for the information than I only buy 5L.

• I30 Cw 1.6

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
5.3 if you change the oil filter. Always check next day.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My car should take 5.3 litres but in reality only ever takes 5 litres at service with the change of the oil filter.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
5.3 if you change the oil filter.
  and re-insert the sump plug.
 if not..
check next day.

Kidding :happydance:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Im about to do an oil change on my own diesel 1.6. Im just awaiting a filter in the post plus a gadget which promises to suck the oil through the dipstick hole.. I just got 5 litres 5w30. - There seems to be at least half a dozen versions of 5w30 oil as the one I had chosen I was told was not recommended for my car. I was redirected to a fully synthetic variety which im assured is the right one. The only problem is it was via Halfords and trhe guy asked me my reg number. Now I was looking for new wiper blades shortly after this and I entered my reg, The wrong blades were recommended. Turned out they were for the older I30 model not mine. I thought 5w30 was correct for the I30 blue model. My car is 2012 but its the newer model shape.
  • 2012 I30 Blue Active Diesel 1600

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Usually 5 litres is enough though because a little bit of residual oil is left when it is drained... :cool:
i always used 5.3L Dazz as factory state. as there is a reason. you being a (tight grip ) only think cheap to buy a 5L container my wrench i used at time was diligent , he would double and triple check & make sure oil filter was full when he checked. he always put 5.3 or close in.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

5w30 fully Synthetic is correct for your model, but because you have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) unlike all the diesel i30's delivered in Australia,  there is another requirement. It needs to be a low ash formula I believe.  This has a particular oil designation, but the correct number evades me...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i always used 5.3L Dazz as factory state. as there is a reason. you being a (tight grip ) only think cheap to buy a 5L container my wrench i used at time was diligent , he would double and triple check & make sure oil filter was full when he checked. he always put 5.3 or close in.
My reputation proceeds me... I'm pretty sure I always supplied atleast 6 litres for my diesel services, but most of the time the extra oil came back untouched. ...

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Im just awaiting a filter in the post plus a gadget which promises to suck the oil through the dipstick hole..
:wacko:

When the gadget arrives return it to the dipstick who sent it to you. :disapp:

The engine has a sump plug for a good reason.
The flow of warm oil out the sump plug hole, into mother's favourite bowl, helps to clear sediment that has collected on the bottom of the sump.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
helps to clear sediment that has collected on the bottom of the sump

What is that sediment? Oil, metal parts? If the sediment flows out from the drain plug, why it does not flow through the oil pump to the oil filter? Or does it only stay in the bottom of the oil pan?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes metal, carbon etc. etc.
 Its not rocket science.
 If we were certain that a filter would extract all impurities, why would we need a sump plug?

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I've seen oil changes done both ways and never really understood why some were so much against the pump method. Only advantage I was able to  say for the plug method that the plugs used to be magnetized and you were able to clean the fine metal straight from the plug. I've heard that some modern cars don't have those anymore due aluminium engines. I don't know how it is with i30.

Some said that the pump leaves more old oil to the engine than draining. I once tried pump method with my old merc. Sucked the oil out and then opened the plug. Nothing came out, so at least in that engine pump was able to drain same mount of oil as opening he plug. I think citroen forbit using the pump in some diesel engine due the fact that the hose was not able to reach the bottom of the pan.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Sundiz,
Yes all of the points you raise are correct. Apart from a filter change, one of the main factors when doing an oil change is to have first run the motor until the oil is at least warm.
  In that way it will have two advantages; the oil still in the sump will have heavier deposits and sediment mixed with it and it will also flow much better when warm.
 The faster oil flow out a large sump plug hole is more likely to 'wash' the sump floor than would some piddling little hose.
 Also it is quick , efficient and can be just left to drip the remaining oil which can take 10-15 minutes to descend from the block and head etc.
 Some vehicles, such as the Ford Ranger, require the whole operation , empty and refill, to be done within 10 minutes. This is to avoid oil pump drainage.  :wacko: While that is an anomaly in itself, I can see your 'gadget' causing  Ford and Mazda BT50 owners a heap of grief.
Cheers G.

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I've used a vacuum pump on numerous cars, and it gets just as much oil out as draining from the sump plug. Much more convenient and no mess to clean up.

With the i30 CRDi I don't even have to get under the car to do an oil and filter change  :)
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Much more convenient and no mess to clean up.

No mess to clean up if you drain the oil into a large container.  ;)

With the i30 CRDi I don't even have to get under the car ....:)
...and never see problems that could be easily rectified before the motor, transmission, cooling system or tyres fail.  :head_butt:

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
You must have a steadier hand than me, I usually slop oil all over the place  :)

I check my tyres regularly, as well as all fluids. I am doing around 1,500kms a week, so my dealer services are only around 10 weeks apart - I can't see the need for me to look under the vehicle unless I 'feel' a problem, in between these services.

I don't imagine I would spot a problem, other than a fluid leak, in the motor or transmission just be looking underneath the vehicle?

I understand where you are coming from, but for a one year old car that gets serviced every 10 weeks, with regular checks on the fluids and tyres, I can't honestly see the need to get under the car.
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
At that servicing rate, fair call. :wink:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
What material is the i30 oil pan? I just heard they like to use pump with mercs due aluminium oil pan. I guess someone has destroyed the threads while doing it the old fashioned way.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
What material is the i30 oil pan? I just heard they like to use pump with mercs due aluminium oil pan. I guess someone has destroyed the threads while doing it the old fashioned way.

I don't know about the pan in the Mercs, but several of the service centres I have used in the past have used a vacuum pump to remove the oil.  They are large commercial units that pump the oil out into a large tank.

The only negative that I can see in using a vacuum pump in a commercial environment is that the mechanic (or most likely the apprentice) is not going to be able to get a good look at the oil to see if there are any obvious problems, such as metal filings, etc.
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The FD petrol has a steel pan and steel plug with a magnetic centre , GD the same.
The diesel has an aluminium sump
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 22:31:01 by nzenigma »

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
http://www.mediafire.com/?i8spa8wk66lrxns

The link above is a PDF of what I  did and how I did it. I saw an online youtube of a guy who said  he used both methods syphon and sump drainn and found no difference in results. He even removed sumps to check and again nio difference or much evidence of the sump sludge either. If you go to quickfit etc thats what they will do as I have  first watched them drain via the dipstick tube.. You can feel the tube hit the sump bottom. Also always make sure the oil is good and hot. It does make the job faster. and even the most professional pump will struggle with cold oil.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:ta: Nice work!  :goodjob:

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Due to comments on here I was  reminded of the time I brought a Nissan Serena I used to own to Quickfit for an oil change. They used the through the dipstick method. I recalled that instead of a rubber or poly hose theuir system inserted a metal tube into the dipstick hole. This guarantees they get it to the bottom of the sump.

It made me think of a cunning plan. Accordinlgy I have sourced a rigid 8mm  plasic tube and a couple of hose connectors for my mini syphon pump.  I will attach the poly tube to the rigid one via the hosing connector. and insert the rigid tube through the dip stick hole in future oil changes. That should clear up any doubts about how far a non rigid tube like poly or rubber goes down into the sump.
 It will only cost me 99p for the 1 meter tube and £1.65 for the connectors postage included.

Isn't Ebay and Amazon wonderful!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I don't know about the pan in the Mercs, but several of the service centres I have used in the past have used a vacuum pump to remove the oil.  They are large commercial units that pump the oil out into a large tank.

The only negative that I can see in using a vacuum pump in a commercial environment is that the mechanic (or most likely the apprentice) is not going to be able to get a good look at the oil to see if there are any obvious problems, such as metal filings, etc.

In reality they just drive it onto the hoist, throw the oil catch thing under the car remove the sump plug and do something else while the oil drains.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
In reality they just drive it onto the hoist, throw the oil catch thing under the car remove the sump plug and do something else while the oil drains.....

Perceptive my friend.
Its a complex world. Thank the lord for Utube and Ebay.  ;)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal