i30 Owners Club

GD-01 to GD-03 Upgrade

azzoor · 6 · 2654

Offline azzoor

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford, NSW
G'day All!!

I have just bought a GD-03 head unit off ebay and I'm looking to upgrade my GD-01 unit to it. From the wiring it looks like the main differences are the USB has been moved to a separate plug and reversing camera has been added to the main A/B plugs.

My main reason for doing this is so I can get Apple CarPlay without having to go third party head unit.

My questions for all you experts out there
  • Where can I get the USB plug and cable? Jaycar? I have looked on eBay but unsure exactly what I'm after. My current i30 has the AUX/USB ports at the bottom of the centre console, I haven't taken the console apart yet to look at the wiring, maybe I can plug the current AUX/USB port cable straight into the GD-03?
  • Can I connect up a third party reversing camera to the GD-03 head unit or would I need to get a genuine one?
  • What is the "SPEED" label on the GD-03 head unit?

Images below of the GD-03 unit and also I did a comparison of the ports GD-01 vs GD-03
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg1ltc4bvhe8cd9/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-25%20at%2010.31.51%20AM.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4f0gyscsvc8l8co/GD-03-1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzrkslvvvx0o98k/GD-03-2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikvvnqm21qakxbi/GD-03-3.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for reading!
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome azzoor:D

Quote from: azzoor
What is the "SPEED" label on the GD-03 head unit?

That'll be the SDVC (speed dependant volume control) function.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Pretty sure Firty has that but not really noticeable. :wacko:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

You're too busy trying to save fuel to get up to a speed that makes it kick in...  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

You're too busy trying to save fuel to get up to a speed that makes it kick in...  :whistler:
:lol: :cool: :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi azzoor

First of all welcome.   Second of all - sorry I have been busy and chronically behind reading posts... so this is a little late.

The speed input is as has been described - I don't think it ever worked in an impressive fashion (nobody raves about it and I noticed no benefit from the function in my FD), which is why I think it was dropped from some headunits.

In answer to your other questions... I am pretty sure there is another topic or topics covering/discussing them recently by another member looking to do same or similar

- One was how a member fitted an aftermarket camera to an GD-02 or GD-03... I can't say for certain but I seriously suspect, in any event, there would be little or no difference between the GD-02 and GD-03 regarding camera fitting... from memory they only ran the video signal and video ground to the headunit.    That member has a slight issue that their after-market camera generates a parking grid and so does the headunit - something to consider if ordering a camera.

- It maybe in the same topic or another... where there was discussion about the separate USB port on the back of the headunit.   I think it basically comes down to either a) if the wiring is already present (which it *might* be if there was an option to have the GD-03 fitted) or b) if it isn't - then investigation maybe needed... I don't know if anyone has actually done it yet (or more precisely written about it having done it).

Could be as simple as getting a cable if the usb port in the cabin is wired directly to the headunit for both the GD-01/02 and GD-03 - in that case the thing would be weather the cable is pre-made (such as if the plugs/sockets on the back of cabin usb panel hasn't changed between GD models/headunit combination) or needing to construct one.  It maybe more complicated if other electronics is involved.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal