i30 Owners Club

Keyless entry not working after towbar installed

saa1977 · 14 · 5737

Offline saa1977

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Brisbane
Hi

I recently had a towbar installed on my 2013 Hyundai i30 SR hatchback. The keyless entry for the boot now doesn't appear to work. Keyless entry for the doors works fine, and I've tested the boot with two different fobs (with new batteries). The only way to unlock it is to press the unlock button on the fob, rather than just have the fob in your pocket and press the button on the boot.

Just wondering if a fuse has blown, or if the issue has something to do with how the towbar was wired?  The towbar installer said it was a simple plug in, and is unlikely to be the cause of the issue. But he had to remove the whole bumper bar and lights to install the towbar, so I'm wondering if he has forgotten to reconnect something.

Thanks 
  • 2013 i30 SR, 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2L, Manual, White

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
There is a smart key antenna behind bumper. Pretty safe bet they didn't plug it back in after install.

Fingers crossed they didn't leave it on the old intrusion beam that is removed to fit towbar.

Oh and  :welly1:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline saa1977

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Brisbane
I had a look to see if I could find any unplugged cables, but all looked ok to me. Any chance you have a drawing or wiring diagram showing the boot antenna?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I had a look to see if I could find any unplugged cables, but all looked ok to me. Any chance you have a drawing or wiring diagram showing the boot antenna?
sure , exactly how cruiserfield described it. Should be an interesting conversation with the installers if it's missing.

Looks like it's going to plug into the reversing sensor harness assuming you have that.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
It will be quite difficult to see, especially if tgey have cable tied the harness to the top of the towbar. You should be able to feel around for the antenna (or where it should be)
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline saa1977

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Brisbane
Thankyou so much for the photo and drawings. Very helpful forum.

Part 95420R is definitely installed ... I removed the panel inside the boot, and it was bolted to the steelwork. The plug was connected to the antenna so I'll trace where that cable runs and make sure it's plugged into the harness at the other end.

Offline saa1977

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Brisbane
Hi...I'm back again. I've had no luck trying to figure out why my keyless entry no longer works on the boot. Attached are some photos. There's one red connector that isn't connected to anything, but I'm not sure if this is related to the antenna. Is it possible a fuse has blown when I was connecting or disconnecting the trailer cable, which has caused the antenna to stop working? If so, which fuse would it be?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That was very clever to use PDF's to get around our attachment limit!  :goodjob:

I can't help with this issue, but for future reference most members just host their photos (of any size) on something like Imgur and post the Forum link on here.. We limit attachments to save bandwidth and the risk of loss if the site crashes. No problems this time just easier for future posts. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Well, you could always disconnect the trailer patch, reconnect the original factory harness together and see if the fault remains?

Or warranty job? could it be a legitimate fault?

I guess even with the fob right next to that antenna , still not working?

Damaged harness anywhere?

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
/ pushed to imgur.com

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline saa1977

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Brisbane
All sorted now :D

The towbar company had a look at it today, and there was one cable that was inadvertently left unplugged under the rear bumper.  The cables on the inside of the boot were all fine - I just didn't realise there was another cable under the bumper that I should have checked.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Good on you saa1977 , glad it is all sorted. :goodjob2: ( Cruiserfield ,top marks again ) :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
X L ent!  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
At the i30 Owners' Club we love a happy ending. :D

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal