i30 Owners Club

i30 internal temperature cold

Offline AstroBob

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Hi my i30 engine temperature is around 85 degrees when warmed up but the internal cab temp is blowing cold air. I have checked coolant level OK but  don't know what else to do. I have looked for a Haynes manual but cant seem to find one anywhere? Is there any other type of manual I can get or any info on this specific problem. I am freezing my nuts and bolts off!!
Thanks in advance for any kind of help.
  • Hyundai i30 Premium (fde) Diesel 1.6 CRDI TCI-U

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi AstroBob

:wttc:

The hoses with warm coolant always flows into the cabin. When you adjust for warm air there's an electric motor to route the air by the warm coolant or not. I would have that checked. I'm sure this have been mentioned before, please try the search function to find out how to get to the motor.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome  Bob. I am using tapatalk at the moment so can't see if you have stated which model or series of i30 you have. It can make a difference in some circumstances.  There is a link on here somewhere for a purchaseable manual but again it would be easier to find on my pc. Please be patient and hopefully one of our friendly members will pop up shortly with some detailed guidance.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AstroBob

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Thanks for the ideas guys. I should have mentioned that both pipes going through bulkhead to heater are cold when engine hot.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the ideas guys. I should have mentioned that both pipes going through bulkhead to heater are cold when engine hot.
Definitely the controller that redirects the water through those pipes then. I try to save a dollsr where i can but probably wouldn't tackle that fix myself. :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Any chance a tekky could comment? The poor guy's desperate :(

@cruiserfied @nzenigma @tw2005
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
There is an electrically operated heat controller ( tap) under the dash. Thankfully, they are trouble free  :rolleyes: so we can leave them be. Consequently, to locate it, Im trying to cast an old memory back to dash/airbag changes I have done.
Regarding a manual for the FD diesel, they aren't readily available. The $10 CDs on Ebay can be useful for everything but the motor. Only  FD Petrol.

Back to your problem. 90% chance it is electrical. Check fuses & relays first at panel on lower side of dash. Also inside engine compartment. All functions are marked on lids.   The AC/Heat control is fairly easy to get to. The  centre panel can be removed after you remove the lidded tray at top. Check to see if you have 12v on heater side.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The AC/Heat control is fairly easy to get to. The  centre panel can be removed after you remove the lidded tray at top.

Don't know if it's harder on a car with a fixed panel instead of a lidded bin on the top. Many Euro delivered FD's don't have the lidded bin on the top of the dash..  :undecided:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What sort of internet speed do you have.

I have a file but it is 14GB in size, because you have to get all the cars Hy make.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Asterix said it, there should always be hot coolant running through the heat exchange under the dash. A door/flap directs air through either the hot or cold path or a combination of both depending on the desired temperature.

If your not getting hot coolant through the firewall there is likely either a blockage, an airlock or possibly there is a shutoff that i don't know about (might be a cold climate thing) for the heater to help engine reach temp quicker that is not opening after reaching temp.

How old, how many km's, coolant changed recently or at all?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@AstroBob See more replies just posted...

Offline AstroBob

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Hi Cruiserfield,
My car is on an 09 plate and has done 78500 miles. It was flushed through last month and and new antifreeze added.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi Cruiserfield,
My car is on an 09 plate and has done 78500 miles. It was flushed through last month and and new antifreeze added.

was it OK before this work done?

If so, then issue probably due to work.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
could very well be air lock after the coolant change
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Asterix said it, there should always be hot coolant running through the heat exchange under the dash. A door/flap directs air through either the hot or cold path or a combination of both depending on the desired temperature.

If your not getting hot coolant through the firewall there is likely either a blockage, an airlock or possibly there is a shutoff that i don't know about (might be a cold climate thing) for the heater to help engine reach temp quicker that is not opening after reaching temp.

How old, how many km's, coolant changed recently or at all?

For me, this is a bizarre issue to be dealing with while sweltering in a 38 degree heat wave. :wacko:

Tim probably has me standing corrected on the internal "electrical adjustment (tap)", if need be the heater unit can be 'accessed' by removing the glove compartment. If it is the heater matrix, the dash has to come out.

But better news, there is a heater control valve.... somewhere.
It is mentioned in regard to coolant, flush and removal of airlocks with "control valve open". The manual gives no more information.
At this stage I would be investigating the area where the heater hoses connect to the motor and the apparently associated thermostat body.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 00:12:10 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline AstroBob

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
no my good friend it was like that before hence the reason for flush to attempt to rectify.

Offline AstroBob

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Hi there, you mention some sort of manual where you got your info from. Do you have an idea where I can get manual from. thanks

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
On the CRDi engine the heater hose (x2) takeoff is on the rear RH side.

:link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The lower pipe goes across to the thermostat and EGR. LH side.

:link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

If the "temperature control valve" is applied it will probably be in this latter area.

An obvious check for air lock or restriction would be to disconnect the higher of the 2 hoses going into the heater and see if coolant flows.

A Oz outback method to test for restriction is to loosen a hose clamp and allow the running pressure to blow coolant through. DANGEROUS. It will be hot so take care.

Best First. Assuming you don't have an air compressor, you could also use pressure from your garden hose to eliminate possible restrictions. eg, test heater matrix etc. However, the thermostat will be closed on a cold motor which will greatly restrict the flow.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi there, you mention some sort of manual where you got your info from. Do you have an idea where I can get manual from. thanks

It was a CD sold on Ebay. I picked it up years ago, but they seem to still about. As said, no CRDi engine info. Hyundai keep that tight to themselves.
The huge file that you can download has all models.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
no my good friend it was like that before hence the reason for flush to attempt to rectify.

Bob, do the most practical thing first. Take the hoses off the heater at the fire wall and hose or even blow through it to see if the core is blocked. If ok, coolant will flow through it..
Then find out where the coolant is not coming from, or going to, on the motor side.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid:

Take simple, compartmentalised steps to progressively eliminate components, starting with what gives you best bang for buck (easiest + most conclusive). Probably sounds like telling you to suck eggs but, trying to visualise this from here, I'd be going through it myself to be certain, once I'd identified any related hoses, pipes, valves, cores, pumps, etc.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Take simple, compartmentalised steps to progressively eliminate components, starting with what gives you best bang for buck (easiest + most conclusive). Probably sounds like telling you to suck eggs but, trying to visualise this from here, I'd be going through it myself to be certain, once I'd identified any related hoses, pipes, valves, cores, pumps, etc.

Thanks  Gonz

Exactly what I was trying to say, while sitting here, demented, in 40+ degrees, trying to help a seriously lucky chap living in a sub-arctic wasteland.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Careful usu-ing water pressure from the tap to clear an obstruction. If you over pressurize the heater coils and blow a weld, well you can imagine the result and expensive fix.

Air locks can happen in the i30. It is recommended that after a coolant change that the level be checked every day for 2 weeks to eliminate air.

I would suggest simply following the pipes and feeling which ones are hot and which are not. This involves no pressure but should highlight where the obstruction is.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Careful usu-ing water pressure from the tap to clear an obstruction. If you over pressurize the heater coils and blow a weld, well you can imagine the result and expensive fix.

Air locks can happen in the i30. It is recommended that after a coolant change that the level be checked every day for 2 weeks to eliminate air.

I would suggest simply following the pipes and feeling which ones are hot and which are not. This involves no pressure but should highlight where the obstruction is.

Phil raises a good point. Your house tap pressure will generally be about 30 psi. The i30 maintains about 16 psi in its cooling system. This raises the boiling point of the coolant, hence my earlier warning. So the garden hose method is ok, just use common sense and tap half on.

Trying to trace hot and cold pipes is difficult because of the close space- motor to firewall , that's why I took the shots of my 'spare'.

From your description of an on going problem, its hard to imagine that you have such an enduring air-lock. Sometimes, an air lock can be eliminated by running the engine up to full temp without the rad cap on. Then let it cool down. Top up with coolant.

The cold hoses going into the heater are the best clue. The pipes they are attached to have to be hot, are they not????

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal