i30 Owners Club

63 plate tourer, problems changing gear when engine is cold

Offline technicpuppet

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      NORTH LANARKSHIRE
My car was serviced a couple of months ago and MOT'd a month ago. Everything was pretty much fine with it. After both the service and MOT the car was totally fine and I noticed no difference.

2 weeks ago I came out to go to work on a cold Monday morning and I found that my car now severely struggles to change gears. I basically need to disengage/engage the clutch till it works. Its obviously very dangerous. This seems to affect every gear change though especially reverse, 1st and 2nd. After I have been driving a while it goes back to being as smooth as it was a couple of weeks ago.

I took it to a garage and they said the clutch was fine apart from a clip which they replaced.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this and what I could do to fix it, I called Hyundai and I booked in for the earliest available date, 20th February.
  • 63 plate i30 Tourer, Diesel

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
New fresh gear oil will fix it. Did on mine  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds to me like they over-adjusted the gear linkage cabling.

This was done on my old FD during one service, much to my annoyance, as it took around a year for the cabling to get back to what it used to be (though reverse selection never fully recovered :rolleyes:)

Ask them if they made any adjustments in that area ...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline technicpuppet

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      NORTH LANARKSHIRE
Thanks can I ask what brand would be best and how much I would need? I would probably buy it then take it to garage get them to do it.

Offline technicpuppet

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      NORTH LANARKSHIRE
I will ask the garage about this, don't think there was anything mentioned but wont do any harm to check.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Thanks can I ask what brand would be best and how much I would need? I would probably buy it then take it to garage get them to do it.
I used Castrol on mine. The gearbox will use 2,0 liter.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal