i30 Owners Club

I have noises from my suspension on my 2010 i30

peter · 12 · 6586

Offline peter

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire
When I turn to the left I get a knocking noise from the near side suspension front and back I went to my local Hyundai dealer and they wanted £80+ just to look at it any idea. High millage 104000.

I have just booked a 15 point safety check at Halfords which includes suspension so hopefully they will find the problem cost FREE.Will update when its done.

Turns out it was the nearside spring, sorted.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:25:32 by peter »
  • Hyundai i30 Edition CRDi 1.6, 2010, Diesel, RED.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
seriously with that mileage , could be all sorts of things plus simultaneous knocks from left side front and back?

Shockies?

Generically speaking not necessarily i30 but I've had knocking noises from:

strut mounts, struts, shock absorbers, ball joints, bushes, stabiliser link pins and brake calipers.

I have a 200000k hatch and it had knocks and rattles in the left rear, new shockies sorted that.

Both my i30s have broken / separated front control arm bushes (rear small bush).

The hatch has a knock and rattle possibly steering linkage, rack or even the EPS. noticeable over low speed bumps.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
 I had issues with stabilizer link bars. Started to make noise in corners. After a while it made noise in every bump. Cheap and easy to change them DIY.

I didn't want to go to a garage and looked for part prices and found out it was not a big loss to change them just in case. I paid 15€ each. My car had done approx 100tkm when one went bad.

I drove over a ramp and went under the car. Then I put my hands at the end of the stabilizer bar and started to shake it violently. Faulty link joint started to make noise.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline peter

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire
I have owned the car under one year reading the service history these bars have been changed but I will still check them.
Thanks
  • Hyundai i30 Edition CRDi 1.6, 2010, Diesel, RED.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I had issues with stabilizer link bars. Started to make noise in corners. After a while it made noise in every bump. Cheap and easy to change them DIY.

Good work. You looked at the most vulnerable point. They have relatively small knuckles and constantly take up suspension movement.

You guys in European/Scando countries seem to have much more suspension wear than we do here downunder. Front spring faults immediately come to mind.

I suspect it is snow and ice. do you still use salt on the roads in winter?

100,000 miles (=160,000 km) is not big mileage for a modern car.
When I am in NZ, I use rental cars that are used up to 280,000km. Obviously they don't feel like a new vehicle, but they are ok and safe. The staff often buy them when they are to be replaced.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The strut can have an internal knock. As you realised its not worth time or money to replace individual parts.
Ive found the strut tube can get twisted fairly easily if the wheel has a hard knock on a kerb or similar.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki

You guys in European/Scando countries seem to have much more suspension wear than we do here downunder. Front spring faults immediately come to mind.

I suspect it is snow and ice. do you still use salt on the roads in winter?

At least here every larger city and road are heavily salted. Also the winters have been lately harsh for the roads. Many weeks when temps vary over and under 0'C. That kind of weather destoys the roads fast when the water over the road freezes and melts over and over again. Studded tyres also wear the roads. Spring time is usually quite bumpy on the roads.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Interesting, we get off lightly here in Australia.
I have driven in 'black ice' conditions in Canada and the USA, while they did not use it on the West coast, I  understand that the damage from salt on the road can be a small price to pay.
Cheers G

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Still not big fan of the salt.  Modern winter tyres are pretty cabable on icy roads. Cars rust faster and I can only guess what salt does to the environment. There are many places where salt is not used and people still manage to drive there without a hassle.

Trucks are not required to use winter tyres so many of them drive year around with summer tyres. Especially foreing trucks. Because of that salt is nice. You don't want 60 ton truck to slide towards you on the road..
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Do you get  the' black ice' as we called it?
 In Ontario, Canada we used winter tyres but when the snow or ice melts then freezes again, you have no control. We used to watch certain intersections where the black ice had formed and it was like a fair ground dodgem car event.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
We have lots of black ice and we have "undercooled water" rain. I don't know what is the right english word. Basicly rain comes in liquid form and the temperature of the rain drop is below zero. When the rain drop hits the ground it freezes immediately. That is most slippery weather condition I have ever driven. Once 60km/h was the fastest I could drive with new studded tyres. Still my car was sliding on a straight road. All the busses and trucks stopped driving in that area. They waited on bus stops and rest stops. That only lasted one hour. After that ice melted and situation was normal again.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That's why your car has ESP, problem solved  :rolleyes:
Drivers from your part of the world are held in high regard because of their skill.
I guess if you don't learn how to handle a car in mud and ice, you die.
Near my home we have a formerly safe road out of our valley that was widened at the cost of $30 mil.
The engineering is appallingly bad; every time it rains after a dry spell, there are car crashes.
 No wonder; I watch many of the drivers using the road when it is dry, most of them have never been trained to approach a corner 'wide' and especially not to apply brakes during the turn.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal