i30 Owners Club

A few questions...

marabak · 12 · 3161

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
I didn't want to start umpteen different threads, so I thought I would pop all my questions in one thread :D

I took my i30 2009 FD in for the "brake light switch" recall fix yesterday, and they took advantage of having my car for the day so give it a looking over and give me some quotes (I left it with them due to work commitments).

Some of the issues they raised I already know about and I am in the process of sorting. This includes a main beam bulb being out (this was my stupid fault when I was changing my dipped beams and accidentally took the wrong one out) and a cracked number plate (from when my handbrake didn't hold and I rolled into a building).

Some things were new to me.

As part of the fix, they offered to look at the air conditioning and it is something I have been meaning to do since I had the car (2.5 years coming up to). They said the compressor pump is leaking and quoted £560ish to replace. I've seen some on ebay for around £25-50 (obviously these are second hand and will require fitting) but that seems a better idea for me in my current financial status (i.e. saving for a wedding). Unfortunately, most of the replacements on ebay are either from the GD or are diesel. Would this make a difference?

They also claimed that my front discs had a "slight lip". I don't really know what that means but I think it is something to do with having worn brakes in the past. I had the brakes changed on the car at the first service, so these pads are around 18 months old and are "20% worn". I have no idea if this is good or bad usage.

They also quoted £170 to repair the number plate light fittings, as one of them was damaged when reversing into a tree (long story which is documented elsewhere on these forums). This is for a "full unit and loom". I'm really struggling to find these parts either new or secondhand, but I was thinking of fitting LED versions or something. Has anyone done that, and how easy is it? Can I just remove the old lamp holder and attach the LED or does it require digging further into the car?

Cheers!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not sure if the FD number plate lights are the same as the GD but there are some here :link: 2x white LED License number Plate Light For Hyundai I30 5D hatchback wagon 13-14 | eBay

If they use the same housing fitment then it's a simple plug in job, nothing special needed for LED's on the rear plate.

You could also enquire in this topic :link: Australia, SE QLD, wrecking , Dismantled FD i30CW CRDi most parts available hopefully the rear plate lights are the same :undecided:

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Cheers. Those are similar to the types of lights I have been looking at already.

Unfortunately, I am in the UK, so I'm not sure it would make financial sense to ship from Oz :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:

eBay should be your friend.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You may find these are interchangeable

Hyundai/Kia   977012H000
Hyundai/Kia   977012H001
Hyundai/Kia   977012H002
Hyundai/Kia   977012H040

1.4 and 1.6 petrol seem the same and also maybe ED series CE'ED

FIrst step would be to confirm the part number on yours. What exactly is leaking? Oil?

Is it working? Is it Noisy?

:link: Hyundai/Kia compressor (977012H000 977012H001 977012H002 977012H040) - KÜHLER-RATH

:link: 2009 KIA CEED Petrol Air Con Pump F500AN8AA01 977012H000 278 | eBay

Are these the lamps in the rear bumper?

Might be worth ordering from KORAPS at $13 USD and fit yourself.

:link: Auto Part Item View : 925012L000 (92501-2L000) LAMP ASSY-LICENSE PLATE for HYUNDAI/KIA i30
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:24:13 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Your speedy responses complete with pictures are truly impressive, mate. :victory:

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Your speedy responses complete with pictures are truly impressive, mate. :victory:
I'm not sure if that is aimed at me... But I didn't get a reply for a while and I don't log in every day (particularly over the weekend when I am too busy). My free time on this forum generally comes during my lunch break at work, but I am blocked from accessing hosting websites and the forum generally doesn't like doing its own hosting, so pictures can be tricky to upload (plus I'm not sure if I said I was going to upload anything either).

i've checked eBay, as mentioned in my original post.

Hyundai/Kia   977012H000
Hyundai/Kia   977012H001
Hyundai/Kia   977012H002
Hyundai/Kia   977012H040

FIrst step would be to confirm the part number on yours. What exactly is leaking? Oil?

Cheers. I'm not exactly what is leaking, they didn't say. However, I think it might be the condensate itself. I'll try and get the part number from the current unit. Is it normally listed on the unit itself? Good to know that Ce'eds are similar, that opens up the search somewhat.

i'm not sure if they are the same lamps. What remains of mine is just a dangling lamp holder, the rest of it smashed and disappeared into the ether. this is my best attempt at uploading an image whilst at work, :link: Shared album - Mark Baker - Google Photos

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm not sure if that is aimed at me... But I didn't get a reply for a while and I don't log in every day (particularly over the weekend when I am too busy). My free time on this forum generally comes during my lunch break at work, but I am blocked from accessing hosting websites and the forum generally doesn't like doing its own hosting, so pictures can be tricky to upload (plus I'm not sure if I said I was going to upload anything either).

i've checked eBay, as mentioned in my original post.

Hyundai/Kia   977012H000
Hyundai/Kia   977012H001
Hyundai/Kia   977012H002
Hyundai/Kia   977012H040

Cheers. I'm not exactly what is leaking, they didn't say. However, I think it might be the condensate itself. I'll try and get the part number from the current unit. Is it normally listed on the unit itself? Good to know that Ce'eds are similar, that opens up the search somewhat.

i'm not sure if they are the same lamps. What remains of mine is just a dangling lamp holder, the rest of it smashed and disappeared into the ether. this is my best attempt at uploading an image whilst at work, :link: Shared album - Mark Baker - Google Photos
pretty sure Gonz was referring to my post.
yes that lamp assembly is for that location but will it fit in to the damaged section? I can't tell. I can make out the black and blue wires under all that red paint overspray. This image shows the portion you hold

I don't know if the compressor will have the Hyundai number, maybe not but the OEM or manufacturer number , possibly. Just helps to cross check things when googling.

Leaking "condensate" You're not talking condensation dripping off it ? that's normal off the pipes , here at least.

For me an Aircon compressor or system  is suspect if .

1. It's real noisy or whiney
2. ceases to engage either due to faulty clutch solenoid, of loss of refrigerant  or pressure switch
3. not cooling well
4. oily residue around joints or the compressor housing or shaft.

Often they have dye in the oil to reveal leakage using UV lamps.

I'm no refrigeration expert but you have me curious if all you're concerned about is "condensate"
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I can certainly support the fact that a healthy aircon will drip since the heat exchange process also removes moisture from the interior. :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If it a condensation drip then no need for a new compressor, where is the condensation coming from? if it driping from the evaporator hose then it's fine, there can sometimes also be condensation on the aircon alloy hose fittings but should never ice up.

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Cheers for the replies. I think I'll have to chase up the garage to confirm what they said was leaking. At the time they just said leaking and somehow I got the impression it was leaking the coolant liquid (I think I might have confused things by referring to it as condensate which is probably not the correct name for it), although whether that is my own brain or was something from the conversation I can't recall now. It's cold here at the moment, so it is difficult to tell if the aircon is working or not, however it doesn't seem to dry the air when on cold (I need to use heat to drive off condensation on my window).

With regards to the lamp assembly, I don't there is too much damage around the slot, so hopefully it would just slip in, maybe with a hint of some sort of adhesive. Just waiting for payday next week and I'll order one (been an expensive month with wedding deposits etc.).

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That sounds like lost coolant

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal