i30 Owners Club

Hyundai Ioniq - First Look

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I had a quick look at the new Hyundai Ioniq hybrid this morning - and I am quite impressed. I didn't take any pics because it was still smothered inside and out with protective film. It was hot off the transporter.

I guess it is about the size of an i30 and looked better in the flesh than it does in the brochure images. I would have chosen the Hyundai rather than the Niro which shares the same hybrid drive and platform - but the height of the Ioniq was the clincher. Far too low for my wife.

It has a CD of 0.24 which is better than the KIA Niro at 0.29 or the VW golf at 0.31.

Both the Ioniq and Niro have one feature I hate - a foot operated parking brake which has long travel. I have to lift my leg too much - with the knee well above and to the side of the steering wheel to apply it. The cost of being tall. I suppose a short arse stumpy legged Korean would have no problem.  I have read that Hyundai and KIA expect their main sales will be into the North America market where foot parking brakes are prevalent.

I can see the Ioniq and Niro making a big indent in the sale of diesels, which are already suffering a sales drop in the UK. They provide the economy of a diesel with the same cabin room and comfort - but with the much greater refinement and low cabin noise at not much greater cost.

My Niro is in one of two possible car carrier ships. The Glovis Cardinal is arriving at Immingham Dock today and the Tortugas left New York on Sunday bound for Bristol where it docks in 6 or 7 days time. I thus expect to take possession of the Niro the first week in March - which will be frustrating because we go on holiday for 9 days on the 11th and I will not have much time to play with my new toy. I did suggest that Libby could take her sister instead of me but I got short shrift.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 16:30:19 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Alan. Seems like we will be waiting a while before either the Niro and/or Ioniq come to Australia.

I also much prefer the look of the Ioniq, but the Niro will definitely be better suited to my future mobility.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal