i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: access 3rd brake light assembly (FD)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hi all

Here is a quick tutorial on removing the FD i30 centre brake light. Tools needed are only a 10mm socket and wrench and optionally a flat head screwdriver wrapped in some masking tape along with a pair of pliers if you are having a tough time detaching the rear wiper hose.

Video tutorial:
:link: Hyundai i30 trim removal - tailgate - YouTube

Picture tutorial:

First step, open up your tailgate/boot all the way and identify the trim area you need to remove. In my case (2011 hatchback - FD), it is the long piece of grey plastic directly underneath the window.

Place your fingers (or a flat head screwdriver if you have one; wrap it in some masking tape so that you don't damage the trim and the glass but I would recommend using your fingers as there is almost no risk of damaging anything this way) near the edges of the trim on top where it meets the window on both sides and wedge them between the plastic and the glass. Be careful not to get pinched! Now pull in a downwards motion and you should hear the plastic clips holding the trim to the frame give way, after which you should see this:

Unplug the LED brake light harness, indicated by the white plug below:

Grab your 10mm socket set and wrench and loosen these three bad boys. Also take note the white plug hiding almost out of sight - be careful not to damage this on removal:

Once loose, you should be able to remove the LED light ever so slightly. Pull it out of the recess and detach the hose that provides the rear window with washer fluid (use the pliers if necessary).

Once you are done, reverse the steps above to replace it, but remember to first clip the trip in the bottom area and finish up by clipping it in place near where you first grabbed to pry it loose from the frame.

Hyundai part number for the grey trim: 81760A
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 17:56:44 by wabbit16 »
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :drinks: wabbit .. I'll sticky that if not already done!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Pics are not displaying for me, but the vid does. :blubber:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Pics are not displaying for me, but the vid does. :blubber:
Hey Phil, are you behind a firewall by any chance? I am hosting these on Photobucket so they should be alright...try hitting CTRL + F5 and see what happens? Which browser are you using?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Pics are fine now, I was unable to log in to photobucket this am, so they must have had a temp problem. Working fine now.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal