i30 Owners Club

Windscreen keeps fogging up and needs AC on constantly

raytheta · 26 · 12404

Offline raytheta

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Dublin
Hi everyone,

I purchased my 2nd I30 from a dealer last July, Only noticing now since colder weather that the windscreen is constantly fogging and will only remove with the A/C depressed which is stupit as im wasting my fuel due to this.
Ive tried using all the various diff dials as I used to in my previous model but to no avail.
A friend of mine also bought an I30 wagon and he says he gets same issue.
In my last I30 bought in 2012 I I did not have this issue (was diesel)
Am I doing something wrong or should I just bring back to garage as its under new warranty ?

Thanks a million in advance

Ray
  • Hyundai I30 CDX 1.4 Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well, you do live in a cold place, but I find that once the ac has been operated the condensate inside the evaporator tends to fog the screen because you are blowing moist air onto a cold surface. Either stop using the ac so it dries out, check the drain tube to see that it drains and keep your screen clean on the inside from hydrocarbon deposits that look like fog. These deposits come from the plastic inside the car and collect on the screen.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Ray. Is it possible that your carpets have got damp due to a window being left open in the rain or something? Excessive moisture in the interior can exacerbate demisting issues.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Also, be minded that modern compressors are so efficient that they place insignificant additional load on the engine when engaged. So much so, that the ECU doesn't have to command much additional fuel to compensate for the extra load, meaning it's not so expensive as you think to keep the a/c switched on.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline raytheta

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Dublin
Thanks for the replies

I will check all in the morning

• Hyundai I30 CDX 1.4 Diesel

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm just across the irish sea to you and i get the same as you.

I find that it will go very quickly with the ac on full for just a few minutes then i turn to 1.

Try experimenting by putting air input from inside and by using the screen demister switch, far left, rather than the air director switches.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I leave my AC on all the time, accidentally turned it off once and the car fogged up quickly. As said up there, the fuel drain is very low to unnoticeable.

I got the recommendation leaving it on all the time from an AC company, otherwise there will be excessive coolant gas loss and the rubber seals dry out = more AC service.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Give the inside of the windscreen a good clean with window cleaner. Dirty windscreens fog up much more easily.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

wildviktor
Here is a solution that won't require AC in and condition : ) Buy RainX ANTI-FOG it's like 3$ and clean your windows with that and you are done for 1+ month you can put a pot of boiling water next to the window and it wont fog.

Or if they don't sell RainX Anti-fog near you. Use shaving gel it also works but not as long, lasts about 2 weeks. 

1. Clean your windows without any window cleaning soaps, sprays...
2. Apply enough shaving gel to cover the entire window
3. Wipe the shaving gel all over the window don't use pressure just use 2,3 paper towels and gently wipe the gel over the window until you clean it off
4. Breathe at the window and be amazed

Try it on you glasses or small part of your mirror in bathroom.

Offline mentalboy1

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I have the same issue on my I-30 hatchback 09 plate. Little disappointed as only recently upgraded love the car but it is a pain and I have same mind to go back as still under 3months warranty? (but what can I actually say/do??)
 Researching this thou I did find it seems to be common issues on I-30's. A friend of mine had a brand new one and had same issue. I use mixture of pressing windscreen button and max until clear then down to 1 and then on windscreen/feet seems to help. Also sometimes when parking up I close wheel vents and press feet and inside air button as apparently it shuts vents electronically?
 not had long enough to know if better in summer time yet.
  • i30 Hatchback 1.4 petrol manual 2009 dark grey

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I fibd if you put circulate to inside that sometimes helps to reduce.

Alsi, when you put air con on to demist/deice put on circulate inside i find it clears quicker

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Do not use recirculated air. Your own breathing and that of others in the car will increase the moisture content and exacerbate the problem. Best thing is to use outside air and AC as required. This all depends on current weather conditions.

Note, if the ac coils are wet form previous use, they will initially contribute to the misting problem. I think there are preparations that can be wiped on the screen to reduce this effect, available at accessory shops.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Like Phil said. Do not use circulation. Use fresh air. I use ac only when it is hot. So most time of the year ac is off. Never had a fogging problem except once when I had accidentally pushed the circulation on. Also new cabin air filter should help to the fogging.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Windscreen fogging was one of the reasons I fitted window visors, when it's raining the windscreen will fog constantly but with the visors I can keep the window down a couple of inches which stops the fogging.
Unfortunately the visors do create some wind noise when sitting above 80kph.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:08:05 by CraigB »

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
as said before, use fresh air to keep the moisture down.
I use A/C to clean up the window, after that, fresh warm air directed to the window will prevent moisture most of the time.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yet over here it is recommended to set the intake to recirc. Hell, my Vayda often sets the recirc automatically when I use defog - gets the dried air even drier, faster.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I disagree with you all re using outside air.

I've tried both and recirculated works for me so i'm sticking with that option.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The choice of recirculated or fresh air would likely differ between different temperate climates, mine never shifts from fresh but in cooler climates I can see how recirculated would do better.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think Craig has hit the nail on the head.  :cool:

Probably explains why generally this isn't an issue for most i30 owners in Australia (even here in cooler Tassie) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
For quick defog the circulation works. My car goes automaticly to circulation when defog is pressed. But after minute or two ill change to fresh air. I haven't seen huge diffenrence between fresh air nd circulation, but I'm in a different climate most of the time. For some reason sometimes just max temp, ac off and fresh air clears the fog faster. But I would say if circulation is used then ac must be always on. If it is not, windows are going to be foggier than the car windows in the movie titanic.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
I always open the window when I am on the airplane  :rofl:
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Recirculating AC isn't just a cooling system. It's also a dehumidifier (why both home and car ACs have drains). This is why on airliners (no fresh air intakes there!) we're fed lots of water against dehydration.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I always open the window when I am on the airplane  :rofl:
:lol:

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I also subscribe to the recirculating brigade to clear window mist quickly.

Last week we returned to the car from shopping and had a 10 minute walk in pouring rain to where it was parked.

We had no choice and had to get in the car soaking wet. - all the windows were steamed up within a minute - but cleared within a minute or two after starting the engine, putting the climate control on recirculating with climate set to auto.

It worries me how many cars I now see each morning with the windscreen fogged up and a small peep-hole where they have wiped the condensation off with their hand.  I have to cross a very busy main road to get to the shops and must wait for a gap in the traffic to cross - meanwhile 50 or 60 cars have driven past me - which is why I notice the problem.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
I too have had problems with windscreen and window misting during this winter in my i30.
Although, I also had the same problem with my prior old Astra I owned.
(The Astra was much much worse at misting than the i30!)

What I do now for the i30 - I originally did for the Astra and I have just continued to do.

I use Rain-X anti-fog on the internal glass...
:link: Rain-X Anti-Fog 200ml

Applied using this pad...
:link: Halfords Demister Pad

And with one of these under both front seats...
:link: Air Dry Classic - Car Dehumidifier

So far it works...
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
It would be good to check the cabin air filter and change it if necessary especially if it has not been changed recently. New filter helps with the fogging.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal