i30 Owners Club

i30 - Window regulator repair kit

picklesc · 13 · 15485

Offline picklesc

• 1st Gear
Hi All,

The window regulator on my 2011 i30 is now busted - the plastic clips have failed and the window has dropped down into the door. This is not the first time it's happened, but the first time out of warranty.

As has been mentioned in a few posts on the forum in the past, this is quite expensive to fix - the genuine clips can only be bought as part of the regulator panel, RRP $350.

I was wondering if anyone has experience using a "Regulator Repair Kit"? There are few on eBay and other parts sites, but I've no idea if they are any good.

For example:
:link: Hyundai i30 - Window Regulator - Cables, Full Repair Kits, Clips
:link: Hyundai i30 window regulator repair kit / front right | eBay

Cheers in advance
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
At only GBP 10.99 for the ebay offering it's worth a shot :goodjob2:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi All,

The window regulator on my 2011 i30 is now busted - the plastic clips have failed and the window has dropped down into the door. This is not the first time it's happened, but the first time out of warranty.

As has been mentioned in a few posts on the forum in the past, this is quite expensive to fix - the genuine clips can only be bought as part of the regulator panel, RRP $350.

I was wondering if anyone has experience using a "Regulator Repair Kit"? There are few on eBay and other parts sites, but I've no idea if they are any good.

For example:
:link: Hyundai i30 - Window Regulator - Cables, Full Repair Kits, Clips
:link: Hyundai i30 window regulator repair kit / front right | eBay

Cheers in advance

What are the symptoms if any?   My driver's side door has started to clunk a little on raising.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Not sure, my hatch drivers has a clunk, seems to function ok. Been like it since I got it a year ago 195K. My 2010 wagon has no clunk bit of a creak. Could be the glass mount bolts are loose.
looks like you can get new for $200, not sure about the aftermarket types though. I had an Astra which were known do rear mechs, got some from panel house and they did the job but fragile. Son was mucking around with the window and broke the new one, then later I happened to bump the glass with my fist and snap broke the other.  So they were crap, good enough to piss the car off.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Online Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I have some information about the clips supplied from nonstop_auto. The pictured clips are the opposite side, and unless they correct the listings you may get the wrong side delivered. The Polish ones( with the high postage ) look like the correct sides.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:00:45 by Aye30 »

Online Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I have finally got around to installing the plastic clip on the window regulator. The plastic clip to the rear had torn itself to pieces, due to the drag of the window in the rubber guides. I have cleaned the guides and lubricated them and the window now slides smoothly. Getting the last wire cable over the pulley was the most difficult step. I looped a cable tie around the wire and pulled into the little notch on the pulley, you also have to release some tension by unclipping the wire from the small plastic stand off, which separates the crossing wires. After reassembly I timed left vs right windows raising and it is now faster than the other side. So I lubed up all the windows to help prevent the other clips from tearing apart.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I have finally got around to installing the plastic clip on the window regulator. The plastic clip to the rear had torn itself to pieces, due to the drag of the window in the rubber guides. I have cleaned the guides and lubricated them and the window now slides smoothly. Getting the last wire cable over the pulley was the most difficult step. I looped a cable tie around the wire and pulled into the little notch on the pulley, you also have to release some tension by unclipping the wire from the small plastic stand off, which separates the crossing wires. After reassembly I timed left vs right windows raising and it is now faster than the other side. So I lubed up all the windows to help prevent the other clips from tearing apart.

SO where did you get the bits from?  Links?

Inevitably my drivers broke sudenly about 3-4 weeks ago. Had a spare but salvaged the original. won't need the cables, just the plastic guide. Looking at it , it had been fractured for a while as I could see where the grease had entered the crack for some time.

Online Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I got the off of ebay. from a seller called nonstop_auto_shop.  But read the previous posts, I ordered the right (aussie drivers) and got the left. Their listing is messed up, and the photo is what I got but it was for the left side

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
SO where did you get the bits from?  Links?
There are loads on Ebay :link: Hyundai i30 window repair kit | eBay

true, but it's always handy to get a referral to something if it is proven to be acceptable and works.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Had the joy of another window reg failure. Same car, same side, drivers. Thought I'd get  more use off the unit I put in from a 41K car. anyway got these clips.

Took 10 days to my place and arrived today, ironically the unit failed today but I knew it was on its way again.

:link: 2X Window Regulator Repair Clips Brackets Front Right Door for Hyundai I30 | eBay

Fit well, look no weaker or stronger than the originals. Simple locate the guide and roll it over and it clips in. hopefully you did not operate the window destroying the cables or gears. Re route the cables, hardest bit was pulling the cable hard enough to get the spring end to get in. It's tight.

Noticeably less slop with the new guide.

Symptoms were creaks and squeals and clunks during operation louder than normal. failed 1 minute after raising window with an explosion internally of the door. gave me a fright cause I thought I'd hit something. LOL.

ALso the clips are handed, so get the correct side. On a good note both clips are identical on the assembly. I got 2 pair but replacing just the broken one and see what happens. I'll refurb the broken one once out as i expect teh wagon will do one this summer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've told this story before, but my brother had an auto electrical business and used to get a lot of Mazdas in with striped plastic gears in the window mechanism. He commissioned a crowd to make replacements out of brass. He made a killing and his customers were happy as they never failed again.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Job done. Quietest it's ever been, better than a used one! $7 fix, a bit of lithium spray grease and swearing (bloody harness) , all good. Same one broke on this to, the one that holds the largest part of the glass.(lock end)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal