i30 Owners Club

Air con compressor issues

william · 13 · 3688

Offline william

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I rarely get to drive the wife's car but noticed the air-con compressor on its way or might have to be re gassed or possible leak. Turn it on and it takes a while to charge with a noise like a slow whooshing noise.
  • i30 wagon 09

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I rarely get to drive the wife's car but noticed the air-con compressor on its way or might have to be re gassed or possible leak. Turn it on and it takes a while to charge with a noise like a slow whooshing noise.

Is that the car wit 400K + on it?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline william

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Is that the car wit 400K + on it?

Yep 426500km still drives like its brand new
  • i30 wagon 09

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers.. so it's done well then. I reckon I'll need a re-gas before then...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline DragOn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Does it have vacuum controlled air vents/flaps. Might be them moving around when you activate the external air/recirculation or face/feet options.
  • i30 GD 5 Door Hatch 1.8l Auto Silver | '74 4 Door Torana | '09 FD Manual 2.0l

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The whooshing sound will be the refrigerant oil passing through the pipes without the correct amount of gas due to a leak, you wont or shouldn't re-gas the system until the leak is found and repaired.

Offline william

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
The whooshing sound will be the refrigerant oil passing through the pipes without the correct amount of gas due to a leak, you wont or shouldn't re-gas the system until the leak is found and repaired.

Only happens when you push the AC button . I've got a auto refridgy mechanic coming to pressure test it. And I'll go from there gotta keep the wife happy  :whistler:
  • i30 wagon 09

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Only happens when you push the AC button . I've got a auto refridgy mechanic coming to pressure test it. And I'll go from there gotta keep the wife happy  :whistler:
Stands to reason that the aircon has to be on :)

Yes pressure test is the first step, once the leak is found and fixed then it can be re-gassed, fingers crossed it's an external seal or valve :fingers:

Offline william

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Got it tested no leaks still heaps of gas but said there's an electrical fault in the compressor. Anyone here of that ?
  • i30 wagon 09

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds like it might then be the connection to "or" the actuators for the valves and swash plate, valve issues would explain the swooshing sound.

Offline william

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Sounds like it might then be the connection to "or" the actuators for the valves and swash plate, valve issues would explain the swooshing sound.

Sounds expensive I don't think I can fix it myself ! :crazy2:
  • i30 wagon 09

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm unsure of costs or maintenance procedures for auto compressors, I'm more familiar with domestic refrigeration.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd ask for a quote to fix first if possible :undecided: second hand compressors can be bought through ebay/wreckers from $165 - $220 but then you'll need someone to evacuate the system and re-gas when fitted.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal