i30 Owners Club

2016 2L SR engine - gutless and sluggish

Offline Nonamesleft

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hey guys, wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

In July I got a new manual 2016 SR premium (the upgrade one with the red trim) and I'm a little dissapointed.
I went for the 2l thinking it would have a little more grunt and I'm coming from a 08 2l focus zetec so i expected similar.

My lil i30 is truly gutless, especially on any kind of incline. If the revs drop below 3k it dies in the ass, im talking 2nd gear up Mount Ousley kind of gutless, i have to drop to 3rd on some of the hills on the freeway from Syd to Newcastle. My focus would take these is 5th with ease!
I dropped a k&n filter into it and its made a slight difference (went for a run to Nelson this week) but i cant help but think somethings not right with it.

Anyone else find their 2L lacking? Even my friends earlier 1.8l i30 seems to have more pull.  Does this sound right to you guus? If so, any suggestions that I can look at doing to give it a little more go that wont void warranty or should I just name it fido and accept its going to be a dog of an engine?

Dont get me wrong, i was by no means expecting a race car but I honestly expected more from a $30k SR. :(
  • 2016 i30 SR Premium, Manual, Sparkling Metal 😎

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you're having to drop back to 3rd on a freeway incline then I think you should take the car back to Hyundai and take the service manager for a drive to show him, somethings definitely not right there.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If you're having to drop back to 3rd on a freeway incline then I think you should take the car back to Hyundai and take the service manager for a drive to show him, somethings definitely not right there.
Yes, what Craig said. I think from memory the 2.0 is a GDI motor? My wife went from a 2.0 litre pre GDI 2010 series 1 wagon to a 1.6 litre GDI in 2014. She found it a little sluggish around town compared to the previous larger motor, but it is fairly torquey on the highway so you seldom have to change down. I would expect the 2.0 GDI to be considerably better.

I would try and test drive an equivalent car..  :cool:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:23:03 by Dazzler »
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Craig , Daz and ditto from me. Take it back.

Ask them if 2L stands for 'Too Little'.  :happydance:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They are considered a "warm" hatch (not a hot one)

Tim ( @cruiserfied ) number 2 Hyundai tech in the world and a service manager is a big fan of the SR. What do you think mate?

I would try a couple of different dealers for help if the first one you try fobs you off..  :undecided:

Offline Nonamesleft

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks guys, yeah I didnt think it was right but wanted your opinion before I went in.
I think I'll go pay them a visit tomorrow before work 😊

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Good  Luck,

We await their verdict.  :neutral:

Please keep in touch, feed back from guys like you is helpful to other members; and hopefully keeps the dealerships on their toes.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Seems a bit lacking from your description. Your expectations seem to be right.

How many km's? Has it been since new or is it something you have noticed recently? Could you have gotten a bad tank of fuel and fouled up the plugs or something? Some dipstick hasn't left a rag in the air filter after service?

Hopefully its nothing major.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Nonamesleft

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Yeah pretty much from new but i didnt really test it out until after the 1 month 1k service (only had 600kms in it at that stage)
Ive done just under 7k kms on it, but I've let a few criends take it for a spin and even they dont think it's right.
As far as fuel goes, I always use bp 98 and try not to let it drop below 1/4 so i dont think it would be that, its not something that happened suddenly, just more and more apparent over time. Work is only 15 min away and most of my travel is shorter trips here and there, which is why I opted for the petrol over diesel (that and the diesel was only availavle in auto for the premium version and I wanted the extra goodies that come with the premium tag lol)
It just seems to have no guts in the lower revs and as soon as it hits an incline if i dont drop gears soon enough to keep the revs above 3k its almost like theres no acceleration, foot flat to the floor. So many times ive had to miss 4th and go back to 3rd on smaller hills on the freeway because if i drop into 4th its like I'm still in 5th. 
Downhill its great lol but its a pita when cruise control has to disengage because ive had to drop back a gear or 2 even doing 120 before the hill, it hits the incline and dies :(
I dont want a speed demon, i have my bike for that (helooooo dual stage launch control and quickshifter  :happydance:) but when a semi overtakes you on a hill on the freeway in a 6 month old 6 sp 2L car.... somethings not right  :confused:

I'll keep you updated
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:13:10 by Nonamesleft »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! DEFINITELY doesn't sound right! If that keeps up you might have to change the badge to RS...

Offline Nonamesleft

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
As in.... really s*itty?  :snigger:

Offline Nonamesleft

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
But hey..... at least my butt was cool on my recent trip, the dual  temp ac and cooled seats are awesome !  :goodjob2:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

How many km's? Has it been since new or is it something you have noticed recently? Could you have gotten a bad tank of fuel and fouled up the plugs or something? Some dipstick hasn't left a rag in the air filter after service?

Tim, reading this later description, it sounds like the timing is retarded. Possibly OCV ????

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Tim, reading this later description, it sounds like the timing is retarded. Possibly OCV ????

It does sound it could be a timing concern, but i would expect a cam timing correlation DTC with MIL illumination.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Nonamesleft

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I have no idea what those acronyms mean guys lol
It booked into the service centre for jan 31st, earliest they had available  :'(
I'll keep you updated.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Diagnostic Trouble Code and Malfunction Indicator Light :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I think his concern is G.O.N.Z. 

= All Black Rugby supporter or Racist Aussie.  ;)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think his concern is G.O.N.Z. 

= All Black Rugby supporter or Racist Aussie.  ;)
Just don't look up GONZ in the Urban Dick and Hairy :crazy1:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Just spotted this thread. this SR is Manual?
you say below 3,000RPM . but in the info on this motor it says maximum Torque 201NM @ 4,700rpm so you need to keep rev's up at 4,700 to be on the Torque. this is how all the new petrol motors are these day's, even the V8's i have driven need a lot more rev's than i would have expected. it's the Torque you feel thrust you forward so if you want to feel the torque get the rev's up to 4,700rpm

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If that turns out to be the problem, I'll make sure Firty's around for a long time to come. :Shocked:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Having to change down to 3rd on a freeway still doesn't sound right :undecided: even if not in the torque range.
My little 1.6ltr would only need changing back to 3rd on some of the steepest hills here.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :undecided: The high Rev scenario is counter-intuitive to the lower fuel consumption the new cars are trying to achieve.
Im still betting on a timing fault.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The 2.0 GDi is a stronger motor than the 1.8 and when I rented an auto one of those in October. It wasn't that sluggish. Not as good as a diesel but better than I expected. :goodjob:

Offline Nonamesleft

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
*her  :whistler:
That is the case, when i change down the revs jump and it picks up majority of the time, but I still shouldn't have to be in 3rd gear to maintain 100kms up a small hill in a 6 speed car but even the engine doesnt sound right. Even on bulli im in 2nd with my foor flat to the floor. I hit the beginning of a hill, drop a gear and it still labours.
Same goes with normal hills I shouldn't need to go down 2 gears from 5th to 3rd to maintain speed on a normal incline. Or go from 6th to 4th to overtake on m7, that road is relatively flat.
The car tells you with its whole eco thing on the dash to change at around 2.5k, I usually run it up to at least 3k because it backs right off otherwise and its annoying af!

The engine should be run in by now and I shouldn't need to rev the guts out of a new car to avoid a line up of cars behind me.
I dunno, ive been driving manual for 10+ years and haven't experienced a loss of power on an incline like this before so it just doesn't seem right... it's making me second guess because otherwise its all fine so I dont understand why its happening. Its being a 'rolls cant hardly'... and its supposed to be the upgraded engine with the 10k extra price tag so its leaving a sour taste  :head_knock:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 18:59:30 by Nonamesleft »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm sure it will get sorted "mam" :winker: and you won't know yourself. A new member has just joined with the same model and I've asked them to comment in this thread. I hope they do...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I assume you've checked for dragging brakes or a stuck handbrake  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If that turns out to be the problem, I'll make sure Firty's around for a long time to come. :Shocked:

Gonz for sure! the beauty of the little 1.6 CRDi is a nice flat Torque curve that starts around 1,900 rpm and carries at same 260nm TQ to 3,000rpm, thats why people who just look at power not TQ get a surprise the little 90kw hits harder than the 120kw motors that make lower TQ but need lot of rev's to make it, that is why all the new small pretrol motors are supercharged & turbo to be able to  make good TQ at lower revs.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
*her  :whistler:
That is the case, when i change down the revs jump and it picks up majority of the time, but I still shouldn't have to be in 3rd gear to maintain 100kms up a small hill in a 6 speed car but even the engine doesnt sound right. Even on bulli im in 2nd with my foor flat to the floor. I hit the beginning of a hill, drop a gear and it still labours.
Same goes with normal hills I shouldn't need to go down 2 gears from 5th to 3rd to maintain speed on a normal incline. Or go from 6th to 4th to overtake on m7, that road is relatively flat.
The car tells you with its whole eco thing on the dash to change at around 2.5k, I usually run it up to at least 3k because it backs right off otherwise and its annoying af!

The engine should be run in by now and I shouldn't need to rev the guts out of a new car to avoid a line up of cars behind me.
I dunno, ive been driving manual for 10+ years and haven't experienced a loss of power on an incline like this before so it just doesn't seem right... it's making me second guess because otherwise its all fine so I dont understand why its happening. Its being a 'rolls cant hardly'... and its supposed to be the upgraded engine with the 10k extra price tag so its leaving a sour taste  :head_knock:

Hi Nonamesleft , have you ever thought, even though you think your foot is flat to the floor, it is all controlled by software, you don't know how many % of throttle you are at, unless you have a hook up to the ECU that tell's you . the auto trans help more with this type set up as they smoothly drop a few gears to get you on the Torque.
the easiest way in a situation like this is if you have a Dyno & you have dynoed other i30 SR 2.0 manual so have a Dyno Power & Torque chart to compare with, you would know straight away. then search for the problem
good luck with it.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Dear Ms Nonamesleft,  :)

Because you have a rarer model, we are all interested , but we are also shooting from the hip.
So I found someone who has actually test driven an SR.

Toby Hagon in Drive 2015. Writes, in part,:

The 2.0-litre engine that tops the i30 range has gone backwards in power (by 5kW) but its 124kW peak is still a generous serve. Teamed with 201Nm it makes for good mid-rev response for relaxed city motoring and easy acceleration. As part of the engine tweaks more emphasis was made on low-rev performance and the i30 is certainly pokey below 3000rpm.

Up hills, too, the SR delves into its generous dollop of torque, although it'll require a downshift or two when you call on extra acceleration.

It's indicative of an engine that's OK but in some ways underwhelming. Yes, it's more convincing than the 1.8 in other i30s, but some competitors (the Mazda3 SP25 and Holden Cruze SRi, for example) comprehensively out-punch it.

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/hyundai-i30-sr-road-test-review-20150427-1mu3k5.html

Key points:

Good mid-rev response & easy acceleration

'Pokey' below 3000rpm

Up Hill, (gradient not specified) it is torquey with need to downshift for extra acceleration.

Underwhelming, but better than the 1.8L  motor.

His list of quicker vehicles does not include the Bedford truck

In other words, your car definitely has a problem. You will love it when it is fixed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 21:47:57 by nzenigma »

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal