i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 CW 1.6 Crdi 2013

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
When I was first buying an I30 the salesman claimed the I30 engine had been designed by a guy who previously designed engines for Mercedes. I saw a couple of Mercedes having oil changes on Youtube and their oil filters and where they are located on the engine are remarkably similar to the I30. Even the plastic spindle for holding the filter. Meby it wasnt just salesman talk after all.
  • 2012 I30 Blue Active Diesel 1600

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The first i30 was designed in Germany. I think it has been stated by some that includes the engine. Hyundai have been building diesel powered heavy machinery and even ships for quite a while, so their expertise in that area would certainly help too..

The 1.6 CRDi in particular is a great little motor.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hyundai has a development plant in Munich.
The 1.8L petrol and diesel motors are allegedly designed by ex BMW and VW engineers.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I hope it was designed by those who knew how to do it. Mercedes and VW have had too many issues with crappy engines. Poorly designed timing chain systems etc.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Timing chains are supplied by independent manufactures.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I hope it was designed by those who knew how to do it. Mercedes and VW have had too many issues with crappy engines. Poorly designed timing chain systems etc.
The VW TSI timing chain issue was manufactor error, not poor design. It was rectified from MY 2012.
Another issue was that VW wasn't very costumer friendly regarding this. It took them a very long time with a lot of complaints, before they accepted to pay outside their 2 years warranty.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The VW TSI timing chain issue was manufactor error, not poor design. It was rectified from MY 2012.
Another issue was that VW wasn't very costumer friendly regarding this. It took them a very long time with a lot of complaints, before they accepted to pay outside their 2 years warranty.

Over the years, Ive watched many good companies trash their reputations by treating their customers like cr*p.
Two factors seem to be at play.
1. Accountants were allowed to venture out of their sterile offices and began to dictate public relation policy.
2. Company directors appease shareholders rather than employees and customers, knowing that two years of poor return on shares will spell the end of their career on the board.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal