i30 Owners Club

ADVICE NEEDED FOR BUYING AN i30 1.6 DIESEL

980ti · 16 · 5498

Offline 980ti

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
Hey guys new here and looking to buy my first car and have had my eye on a 2013 Hyundai i30 1.6 diesel with 62k miles.

LINK TO CAR: :link: Hyundai I30 1.6 CRDi Blue Drive Active 5dr (ISG)

is this price reasonable? any problems with this specific model?

Also im presuming its good on fuel with 600+ miles to the tank

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • Planning to own a 2013 i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
It looks real nice and being diesel will give you excellent return on the MPG front...

I can't comment on the price as I am not abreast of such matters except to say that whatever they're asking they'll have made allowance for some bargaining, so go for the lesser price if ya can.

Many of our club members, especially the Ozzie mob have diesels and swear by them, but do remember that they have roads that go for a thousand miles in a straight line, and we do not   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think you would be very pleased with the purchase, but listen to others as well  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 20:46:42 by asathorny »

Offline 980ti

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
thanks for the advice. and will do  :P
  • Planning to own a 2013 i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline martyni30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Somerset
Looks a nice car not to bad a price,I've got a 1.6 crdi great car, so far touch wood had no major problems good on fuel and comfortable,when I look at getting a car what ever price they are asking for I always go in at least 15% lower and haggle, have a price in your mind what you want to pay go a bit lower than it then you can increase a bit and they can come down from their price Good luck
  • 2011 i30 1.6crdi tourer

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon: 980ti

The best thing about the diesel apart from the mileage is the low down torque. This makes the engine feel bigger and more powerful than it is while still giving good economy.

A few observations to help you on your way..

Firstly, not quite sure why the Manufacturer's Warranty expires this june. I thought UK got 5 year warranty which on a 2013 model would take it to June 2018?

Don't get too excited about the ISG (Intelligent Stop Go) feature. It doesn't make a big contribution to the fuel economy equation which is good because it seldom operates (too many parameters to meet) We don't even have that feature on Australian delivered models.

UK delivered (have to) have a DPF (Diesel particulate filter) as part of their emission controls - We don't have them on Diesel i330's in Australia either. These don't generally cause too many issues provided that the vehicle gets regular (say weekly) highway runs (to burn off the excess soot - called a regeneration burn) If you are only going to and from the shops doing 95% short trips this could make the Diesel a poor choice for you.

They  are generally a very reliable vehicle compared to most other European manufactured vehicles.

The Diesel model is particularly loved on this forum due to it's likeable character.

I'm sure other members will also put in their 2 cents/pence worth.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
 :welly3:

I did just under 40k km in mine last year. Comfortable on long trips as well as short. Diesel engine is very nice, does take s long time reach operating temp, so if you do mostly short runs the gdi might be an option. Had no issues with the car. High beams are a bit shoddy, better bulbs fixes that.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
See private sale so no come back if problem after you buy.

Have you considered a vehicle check by aa or rac or an independent assessor?

Price
Check out the online guides and dealer ads.

Is it local to you to check?
If so, why not arrange a viewing BUT at the sellers address and not at yours or some supermarket car park etc.

Ask for "log book" and make sure name and address are at the sellers address.

Also, do hpi before you hand cash over if you decide to buy as it will show whether loan against car or bern in an accident.

I may be cautious when buying as i would buy from dealer.
Ok you may pay more but you do have more rights should the car be a lemon and they will usually give service, full mot and other add on.

Best of luck with your search and let us know how you get on.....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline barryden

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Fl
If available, I would the maintenance/repair records also.
  • Elantra

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Despite our best efforts to give good advice, it appears they didn't wait around to hear it! Don't you hate that!  :disapp:

Offline Brisvegas

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Despite our best efforts to give good advice, it appears they didn't wait around to hear it! Don't you hate that!  :disapp:

I read the post from the start and then tried to look at the link before I checked the date   :whistler:
  • 2016 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:snigger:

Offline minhI30-crdi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Not sure it is too late my ADVICE don't buy it, Huyndai I30 crdi has a gear box issue, I have to forked out $4400 to overhaul the gearbox just after 7 months out of warranty search forum for no reverse gear, valve body I30 ... I would not buy any Hyundai car again.
  • I30 CRDI MY2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not sure it is too late my ADVICE don't buy it, Huyndai I30 crdi has a gear box issue, I have to forked out $4400 to overhaul the gearbox just after 7 months out of warranty search forum for no reverse gear, valve body I30 ... I would not buy any Hyundai car again.

I understand how you feel, but that is a BIG generalization. Despite some 4 Speed Auto Transmission problems the i30 would still be rated as one of the more reliable small cars on the market.

A relatively small percentage of mainly 2010/11 4 speed autos have had valve body problems and many of these have been fixed under warranty. We encourage those out of warranty to try and get Hyundai to help with a goodwill fix by being firm but tactful. If this doesn't work then try shopping around for a 2nd hand gearbox with warranty from a wreckers yard or similar.

Also get quotes from reputable transmission repair shops as I'm sure they won't all be $4,400

Offline redi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Haven't been on here for a long time. Bought a new 1.6 diesel  auto back in 2008. Now has 138000 km on it. Mainly trouble free. Had a faulty computer which was replaced under warranty. Apart from that it has been brilliant. Going to give it to my daughter and get another i30 diesel shortly. Looking at buying used this time. Looking for low kilometre Premium.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Haven't been on here for a long time. Bought a new 1.6 diesel  auto back in 2008. Now has 138000 km on it. Mainly trouble free. Had a faulty computer which was replaced under warranty. Apart from that it has been brilliant. Going to give it to my daughter and get another i30 diesel shortly. Looking at buying used this time. Looking for low kilometre Premium.
Thanks for that. More like the usual feedback we get from i30 Owners fortunately!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal