i30 Owners Club

1.6CRDI engine knocking noise when warm and accelerating

geminiman · 41 · 16136

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
This is how the area next to the first fuel injector looks like on mine. Is it normal ? The car only has 5800 km.

:link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I hate guessing but I'm thinking not. You have 3 other injectors to compare to. Looking at the colour I'm thinking the injector is not sealing at the head, even that fuel line joint looks moist and black. Gases escaping?

Just another thought, if the rocker cover is black, because I was thinking it looks oily black around that injector, leaky fuel line a possibility?

I'm sure when you take it back under warranty you'll  find out.

Thank you for the insight ! I've started the engine with the negine cover off and there are no obvious signs of gases escaping in the injector area. Also, there is absolutely no smell of fuel in the engine compartment at all. I'll check more closely the other injectors, but this definitely stands out. Also i will check the other diesel i have from Peugeot and see how the area around injectors looks like. I've showed the photo to the dealer as well and they said to come for a check as they can't identify from the photo if it's fuel or oil.

Alex
best option, it is next to the filler so could be spilt oil?

Looks like oil. :goodjob2: The CRDi system is working at very high pressure. If the injectors and pipe work are not sealed you should know about it. They squirt, not like this, the odd drop once a week.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Best to get this sorted. I've read that injectors not sealing property can cause indirect problems down the road. They should NOT leak at all. Get the dealer to replace the seals on the injector

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Best to get this sorted. I've read that injectors not sealing property can cause indirect problems down the road. They should NOT leak at all. Get the dealer to replace the seals on the injector

Could be a bit of spilt oil, I think  going on what Gary (NZ) has stated which makes sense. First glance seems like a leaky injector, will be good to hear from the OP when the dealer checks it out.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

Could be a bit of spilt oil, I think  going on what Gary (NZ) has stated which makes sense. First glance seems like a leaky injector, will be good to hear from the OP when the dealer checks it out.
That could definitely be the case.

Was just saying if it is a leaking injector seal, don't take no for an answer, it needs to be fixed.

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the answers everybody !

Tomorrow i will be at the dealer to have it checked out. I will come back with the conclusion here. For me personally, the injector leak/issue does make sense, as the car has been tapping/knocking since almost brand new. The bad exhaust smell when cold, might be yet another potential sign of this.

I'm starting to see a small puddle there to be honest, i guess that should be worrying for just 5000kms ODO.

• Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That looks like it has increased.
Does it smell like diesel fuel or oil?

Will appreciate your report, thanks.  :)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
It looks increased from that angle, because both this and the earlier pic i posted, were taken at the same time. I haven't tried to smell it TBH :)

Going back to the dealer visit. They said of course it was oil, spilled by mistake during the oil change it had a few months earlier. They sprayed some stuff over the injectors, cleaned the area and said to keep it under observation. If it re-occurs, they will change the injector seal.

In the last two days the car has been running awesome, no tapping/knocking and pulling extremely strong. Definitely i have a very strange issue on my hands, or this is just the way this engine works.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:54:22 by alex2jz »
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
If its quieter and running better then it's highly likely that it had a little bit more done,  time will tell  :wink:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline alex2jz

• 2nd Gear
Wish i could say that, but it is unrelated to the dealer visit. It has been doing it since new. Sometimes it's super quiet and peppy and sometimes there is a engine tapping/knocking and it doesn't seem to pull that well. Nothing to do with fuel or DPF regeneration btw.

Well... time will tell.
  • Ceed 1.6 CRDi

Offline geminiman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford, England

• Charlie from the UK
Hello again, guys. It's been a while since I visited here, so I thought I would provide an update. Having been to my local dealer on 3 occasions now, I am no further forward with this issue. It does seem that it's a common problem with the CRDI engine, but does not show up on the dealer's diagnostic machine, and they are not prepared to do speculative replacement of parts as Hyundai won't re-imburse them. They say that they contacted Hyundai technical but were not aken seriously - not sure I believe that so I am going to try and contact Hyundai myself. Will get back here when I've done that. Btw, lots of interesting info on here, thanks everyone.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi blue drive

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hello again, guys. It's been a while since I visited here, so I thought I would provide an update. Having been to my local dealer on 3 occasions now, I am no further forward with this issue. It does seem that it's a common problem with the CRDI engine, but does not show up on the dealer's diagnostic machine, and they are not prepared to do speculative replacement of parts as Hyundai won't re-imburse them. They say that they contacted Hyundai technical but were not taken seriously - not sure I believe that so I am going to try and contact Hyundai myself. Will get back here when I've done that. Btw, lots of interesting info on here, thanks everyone.

Earlier , I reposted this from another thread dealing with injector noise. Have abbreviated it, but it seems important:

Not sure if this has been quoted but interesting to read. :link: 1.6 CRDi Diesel Engine Noisy & Knocking Like A Petrol Engine Pinking ?!

Gerard, The problem was eventually solved:

"It's fixed! I had it in to the local Hyundai dealer on Tuesday and they test drove the car and confirmed the knocking / noise. They looked the issue up on the Hyundai database of known faults and found a technical service bulletin covering this exact problem! They replaced the injectors and now the car is back to its old smooth & quiet self! "
[/i]
The author later made it clear that probably only faulty injector(s) were replaced.

I re-checked and found that the author's post (above) was dated July 2012.
He kindly followed up  to say the vehicle was still running perfectly in Sept. 2015.  :goodjob2:

Based on his information, injector replacement was not a speculative repair.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal