i30 Owners Club

Intermittent problem electric mirror/s does/do not always open

Offline Judge Dee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I purchased an 130 Elite, auto hatch new in March 2014. Since then, one or both electric mirrors fails to open on a seemingly random basis.

* Between the 12 & 24 month services & the problem occurred 14 times
    - driver's side 10,
    - passenger side 3 &
    - both once

* 11 of the above instances happened first thing of a morning when first starting the vehicle in the garage
*   3 instances occurred in town when restarting the vehicle after being parked

The Dealer has been unable to replicate the problem & I've been advised no other dealers have had a vehicle with the same issue. After discussions with Hyundai, the Dealer re-calibrated the software 2 weeks ago

The problem recurred this morning with the driver's side mirror

Any advice or other feedback would be appreciated, thanks

-
  • i30 Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Dee, Welcome. Don't you just hate intermittent faults! I know the dealers do... It isn't a  common problem, but would certainly be inconvenient.  One of our members is the number 2 Hyundai tech in the world. Tim may be able to suggest a fix. @cruiserfied
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
The Dealer replaced my complete external  drivers door mirror unit at 10k miles. The faulty unit, at random, would not fully open without a final push. It was the only warranty claim that they did immediately - without further recourse or heated discussions.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Welcome Dee. Strangely enough that has happened to my i30 and my daughters i30 a few times but not as much as yours. Mine has done it when left for a few days without being used. In those instances I had to use the manual switch to swing them out. I have not worried about it as  they worked normally after that for a fairly long while. Watching this thread with interest.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
The Dealer replaced my complete external  drivers door mirror unit at 10k miles. The faulty unit, at random, would not fully open without a final push. It was the only warranty claim that they did immediately - without further recourse or heated discussions.

Hi Mike.  Was that the drivers mirror ?  When it happens to mine both mirrors stay in until operated with the switch. As I posted it happens very rarely.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Welcome Dee.

Not had this concern before. Does the welcome function operate as normal otherwise when the mirror stays closed? Other side mirror and both puddle lamps illuminate?

If it was always and only one side i would suspect that mirror or the wiring but since its both sides it leans more towards a control issue.

Be patient with your dealer, they hate intermittent faults as much as you do.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Yes, John, as stated, the Drivers' door, the operation of which is via a manual push switch adjacent to the door arm rest, ie not automatic. Never had problems with the passenger door mirror.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Yes, John, as stated, the Drivers' door, the operation of which is via a manual push switch adjacent to the door arm rest, ie not automatic. Never had problems with the passenger door mirror.

Sorry Mike , better get my eyes tested again. I am pretty sure on my daughters i30 it is only the drivers door one thats a problem. I will tell her about your fix and get her to get it checked out.  :goodjob2:

@ Dee. Sorry Dee did not mean to invade your post.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Sorry Mike , .....I will tell her about your fix and get her to get it checked out.  :goodjob2:
John, have PM'd you.

Offline philcoau

• 1st Gear
Hi @Dee , sorry for the late reply
My wife's MY14 i30 elite is having the same problem

Dealer has change the mirror twice but no luck with fixing it. Now they are have gone cold in offering any other fixes or solutions. We've even shown them video footage of it happening. I agree it occurs mostly after not driving for a few days or first thing in the morning.

Sometimes even manual mode and back fails to rectify it.

Did you find a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:30:20 by Phil №❶ »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal