i30 Owners Club

Test driving the PD - Tohis

tohis · 11 · 20550

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
My local dealer had the introduction day of all-new PD i30 today. They had one (1.4 T-GDI 6MT Style) in the showroom, and another one (1.0 T-GDI 6MT Comfort with Navigation pack) for test driving. After waiting a bit for the previous test driver to return, I then got the key in my hand and was off for a half-hour drive.

The three-mug 1.0-liter chugged along with its distinctive purring sound, having enough power for casual driving, but felt completely dead under 1500 rpm. Although I didn't stall it, a fast biting clutch didn't make starting off too easy. Also when shifting to second gear at 20 km/h, it did that *umph.. wroom* hesitation typical in small turbo engines because of turbo lag after losing the pressure during shifting. Needs heavy foot and lots of rpm to avoid all that.

When I got to the highway, I was immediately disappointed of the steering. Although it was sort of accurate (reacting to very small wheel turning), didn't squirm on tracks of a worn road and went straight when carefully holding the wheel, it had a rubberband-like feel in it. By suddenly turning the wheel a bit more, the whole car sort of jumped sideways after a small delay. Just like those old smaller Japs (Corolla, Sunny, Civic etc.) which Bimmer/Audi/Merc fanboys at here never get tired of bashing them as "f***ing rice cups".

Whatta...?  :undecided: This was supposed to be better to drive than the GD, but my first impression was it's clearly worse. Even Finnish car magazines have given surprisingly good reviews for it. My thoughts were confirmed when I returned to my GD - different feel but much better - just changing direction instead of jumping with a delay! I hope the CRDi+DCT, with 100kg more weight on front, will be more stable. Bigger wheels with lower profile tyres would also likely cure this, but with the side effect of harsher ride and more noise.

EDIT: After some more thinking, that "jumping" felt like the anti-roll bar being not sturdy enough to keep the car stable in such turn.

The suspension felt slightly softer than in my GD, but was overall good. Despite not liking the steering, it was easy to unintentionally overspeed because the lack of sensation of speed in modern cars.

The tyre noise level was clearly lower than in my GD. Hmh, I should have checked what brand of tyres it had, because both steering and noise is significantly affected by them.

I can't give the thumbs up for the PD just now. I hope this doesn't sound like a childish rant, but it's way too easy to spot negative things from your potential next car, pointing how nicely this and that is done in your current car. I will continue driving my GD at least another year, so I have time to go test driving the CRDi+DCT later (hope some dealer will have one for demo), and it's anyway not carved to a stone that the i30 would be the only possible choice.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 19:28:21 by tohis »
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Great review! I wanted to ask how is the interior quality in relation to the gd model.
Noise insulation is much better in pd?
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Interesting.  I had a brand new i20 as loan car for 3 days in December and the way you describe the engine response and steering is exactly how I felt in the i20.  :undecided:

The new i30 is released here in the weekend, hope to get time to visit the dealer and do a test drive.  Want to try the 1.4 T-GDi and the 100kW CRDi
Would love to have the DCT but that's an extra 3400 EUR or 4700 AUD..  :Shocked:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks tohis, you trumped our local guys who get their drive on 4th at the official Australian launch. We don't get the smaller engine here. Have they scrapped the steering setting button?

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think our guys will have a different driving experience, the suspension tuning is completely different for us in Australia, I'd expect a more positive turn in and stability with slightly firmer springs and recalculated shocks.

Likely our road noise could be slightly higher though due to firmer suspension :undecided:

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Great review! I wanted to ask how is the interior quality in relation to the gd model.
Noise insulation is much better in pd?

The interior quality is at least as good, or maybe a bit better than in GD. The recent trend of having a small horizontal center console and floating screen is a matter of taste though, and I'm not a fan of that. About the noise level I can at least say that it's not worse than in the GD, but that also depends a lot of what kind of tyres are fitted.

Thanks tohis, you trumped our local guys who get their drive on 4th at the official Australian launch. We don't get the smaller engine here. Have they scrapped the steering setting button?

The Flex Steer feature seems to be scrapped, but according to the owner's manual (page 5-69) the Sport mode in DCT equipped models will make the power steering heavier.
:link: https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=32.msg427601#new

I think our guys will have a different driving experience, the suspension tuning is completely different for us in Australia, I'd expect a more positive turn in and stability with slightly firmer springs and recalculated shocks.

I have read that Aussie basic models will have a torsion beam rear suspension instead of multi-link in SR and all Euro models, so it will be different for sure.

I'm definitely curious to hear the comments from all of you, when you've done your test driving...

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
I have made a search in mobile.de for hyundai i30 2017 diesel model.

I was shocked! The pd hyundai 1.6 crdi 110ps    price was 23.000euro
while the gd facelift 1.6 crdi 110    5.000 -10.000euro  less!
 :Shocked:

:link: Hyundai i30 Angebote bei mobile.de
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I have read that Aussie basic models will have a torsion beam rear suspension instead of multi-link in SR and all Euro models, so it will be different for sure.

I'm definitely curious to hear the comments from all of you, when you've done your test driving...
I believe our SR models will have multi link rear with 1.6 turbo but torsion on the standard versions which will have the 2ltr engine.

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
I went to an another test drive with that same i30 as before. At the first time it had Nokian studless winter tyres which typically have very soft tread in order to get some grip in icy conditions, at the expense of driving characteristics. It had now Michelin Energy Saver summer tyres fitted, and this time the steering felt better, but the jumping sideways phenomenon I mentioned earlier wasn't completely gone. Besides needing a sturdier anti-roll bar, having faster steering ratio than in GD may not have been a best idea.

I think my next car will not be an i30, however the primary reason for that is elsewhere. I have been leaning into hybrids, the i30 isn't currently available as such, but the price of PD with A/T has risen to the same level than some hybrid competitors. Also, I calculated the hybrid to be even cheaper to drive than a diesel - 5 ltr/100km (realistic guess), small annual tax because of low CO2, and no additional diesel tax! Not mentioning the recent dark clouds growing above diesel cars in Europe...

During last month I've been also test driving Hyundai Ioniq and Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports. Both were okay to drive, not excellent but stable enough. While Ioniq is way more stylish both the inside and outside, the Auris is available as a wagon, and I liked more of its stepless e-CVT than the Ioniq's DCT transmission. Doing a choice between those two ain't easy...  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi tohis, I have been offered a drive in a PD. I must take them upon it. Do you also have the option of the Kia Niro in your country?

I am also likely to go a Hybrid next time.  :goodjob:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Hi tohis, I have been offered a drive in a PD. I must take them upon it. Do you also have the option of the Kia Niro in your country?

I am also likely to go a Hybrid next time.  :goodjob:

Hi Dazz. Niro is also available at here, but it's more like an SUV and also more expensive, so it's not in my list.

I think introducing the PD with hybrid option would have been a big hit. Maybe H+K want to be careful at first with their new technology and start with Ioniq and Niro, to collect experience and to reduce possibility of large scale problems when introducing more hybrid models. Who knows if even the PD is designed with a possible hybrid option at the time of facelift?  :confused: (well, we don't know)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal