i30 Owners Club

2016 with my I30 - Reflections and numbers

xiziz · 3 · 18442

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
So I thought I'd share some reflections and numbers with y'all.

I've been driving my I30 for a little over a year now, but I finally got all the numbers sorted for 2016. I did 36390km last year, that was with four months of parental leave and 1 month of vacation, so only commuting 7 months. My total average fuel economy was very close to the declared at 4.49l/100km using 1633l of diesel, best tank so far at 4.37l/100km. I did a 4.38l/100km on the last tank running studded winter tires doing mostly short trips, which bodes well for 2017.

Coldest start was -25c where the glowplugs preheated for 17 seconds and started on first crank.
I get an average total cost of 0.15€/km(My last car, volvo s80, did 0.26€/km, my older merc C180 did 0.45€/km), so its turning out to be a very cheap car - It does help that I have tripled the amount of annual km too though, which certainly helps smear out road tax, insurance and mortgage costs(which I did not have on the previous cars), and no new tires yet which is another big expense. 45% of the expense is fuel, maybe I'd actually be able to count home a new model on fuel cost, but I'll do that calculation when the warranty lapses in 2 years time.

Overall I really love most of this car, there are some small annoying things like the silver air vent on the left side of the steering wheel reflecting light right into my eyes at certain angles when the sun is setting/rising. Or the fact that the radio display on/off mode is soft and not hard(ie lights up on change of volume/phone call etc). Road noise is loud, but I think thats mostly because of my previously exclusive experience with German and Swedish cars. Curve lights come on a little early for my taste and the low/hi beams could do with +130% bulbs standard, and probably some washer head, they get real dirty.

I30 rides well at high speed, cruising at 120kph feels like 90kph did in the Volvo, nice and stable. It actually handles surprisingly well all the way up to top speed with a good acceleration even at high speed. And it seems to do fairly well with FE at motorway speeds too, got 5.21l/100km on the last motorway trip I did, with studded tires on!

Now, If there was only 10cm more leg room in the rear so I could sit comfortably with a rear facing child seat on either side, I might need a second seat in the future. Having only one rear facing seat works perfectly fine in the center seat though, but kids are supposed to sit rear facing until 5 years here, and I don't want that long a gap between kids.

A big cheers for another year with Hyundai!  :Drive:
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent post and great economy! Thanks...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Always good to read about great economy, especially in such challenging conditions!

I would pull the vents out and spray them matt black. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal