i30 Owners Club

The impact of the EGR system on the intake manifold of my 2012 i30 diesel.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi eyecon!

Good to see your post..

447,000km!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!

What is your secret to having your diesel do that amount of km? 2 stroke oil in the fuel?

Do you still have the tuning box fitted?

Cheers,
Paolo
Hey Paulo, how you doing mate. Car had been good to me over the years. Usual wear and tear stuff gets replaced as I go along. Nothing lasts forever I guess.
Haven't used oil additive for a few years now. It was always a bit of a chore preparing and sourcing the right oil.

And I removed the Spider tuning box a few years ago as it was becoming faulty until one day it stopped my car from running. Haven't bothered sourcing another one. Stock standard buddy. Even removed the halo LED lights too.

You're running a tuning box aren't you?

Hi eyecon,
My car still has the tuning box fitted. It hasn't missed a beat. Funny timing but I just received an e-mail from the Racechip people offering me a discount on an updated model...
Still using 2 stroke in fuel-ups.
Mine has only done 85,000km but keeps improving...especially the gearbox.

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hey, that sounds interesting. I have 2-stroke lying around from trimmer and chainsaw not getting much use where we live now. What's the dosage?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey, that sounds interesting. I have 2-stroke lying around from trimmer and chainsaw not getting much use where we live now. What's the dosage?
Depends on how many days you've been constipated. ....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I have been dosing at the rate of 200:1.

....and I haven't been constipated for ages...in fact (and I'm bragging here) 'I am as loose as a goose!'  :happydance:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:52:03 by Paolo5 »

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Depends on how many days you've been constipated. ....

:rofl:

guest9517
Those pics are the proof of reason why mine is having the EGR blocked very soon. (within 2-3 weeks when "something" arrives from Korea & an almost new to-be drilled DPF from UK)

I suffer severely from DPF-regens every 200-250 Km now..Lasting approx 20 mins & totally killing the economy of the car. And by blocking EGR totally, the inlet wont end up like shown (Car only done 18000 Km, 9000 Km in 2 months after i got it  :scared: )

The orifice will help, but unfortunately not stop the mess..I´f seen doesnt like that on Alfa-forum where Alfa even made this trick to postpone EGR-faults until end of warranty on the 159 1.9 & 2.4 diesels...

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I have just acquired quite a nice 2010 i30 (1.6 diesel) with 118,000Km on the clock.
 It was regularly serviced but, at a guess, just before the 90k service a new owner was told she needed glow plugs. So she solved that burden by doing absolutely nothing and eventually used a gate post to demolish the left guard and lower control arm.

So to the topic; I will be interested to see the extent of the EGR gunk ; will make a blanking plate and experiment with the hole size. Lets see what is the smallest size I can get away with.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
Just a thought but had anyone used sea foam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2009 i30 estate, premium.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi firescape, good post.
I have not got an i30 crdi now but have owned two loved them.
can you tell me if after you change your engine oil and do a few k, if the oil stays a bit cleaner than before blocking egr, as when I had my i30's after a oil change the oil still looked dirty. I now have a dirty old Toyota hi lux 4wd turbo diesel and I think it must have the egr blocked as when oil is changed and I drive it then check oil oil looks cleaner than my i30's oil used too. just wondered if you notice this too.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
will make a blanking plate and experiment with the hole size. Lets see what is the smallest size I can get away with
Looking forward to your research, mate. :)
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

guest9517
Looking forward to the intake pictures....  :winker:

It's been mentioned earlier that using the a/c should cut off the EGR. Can anyone confirm that..? If it's the case, shouldn't it be possible to "short circuit" the EGR to think a/c is always on...?

If thats the case, Im ok, because the A/C is always on  :happydance:

A/C doesnt affect EGR at all. Was tested several times today (Through EOBD-dongle & torque app)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Looking forward to the intake pictures....  :winker:

It's been mentioned earlier that using the a/c should cut off the EGR. Can anyone confirm that..? If it's the case, shouldn't it be possible to "short circuit" the EGR to think a/c is always on...?

If thats the case, Im ok, because the A/C is always on  :happydance:

A/C doesnt affect EGR at all. Was tested several times today (Through EOBD-dongle & torque app)

Thanks Michael, nice to get it confirmed...  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Interesting. :goodjob2: Previously, Ive accepted the advice that the A/c was linked.
Given that it isn't an inert valve, what operating conditions did you find that caused it to open and shut?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

guest9517
Interesting. :goodjob2: Previously, Ive accepted the advice that the A/c was linked.
Given that it isn't an inert valve, what operating conditions did you find that caused it to open and shut?

Normal steady RPM/speed keeps it at like 20-25% open. Off-throttle & full throttle shuts it. (Hence totally wrong when some people think it can overheat engine, as its allways closed when engine is at anything that can ve defined as high power output)

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
My FD Czech model goes o2 sensor at 2 when AC is on. When I turn off AC, o2 falls down between 1-2, and engine load goes way up. With ac on, engine load goes down. I don't use torque app. The 1 I use doesn't show anything about egr.
I used some short time torque app. It showed egr as low as ever (i think cca 5%) when the ac was on. So i saw direct corellation with Ac and EGR. And I want to know how to trick the  system to think the ac is on.
Because I don't like having the ac on when I go short trips because it accumulates moist on the evaporator (which results in stinky air, molds etc.). Also if I turn off the AC the last 3-4 min of driving, the egr goes open which I don't like.
The first 3 min (when warm outside) you can't tell about EGR by o2 readings as, for some reason the o2 sensor shows below 2. I guess it's something about warming up but i would like an more detailed explanation. When cold outside, this period ( before o2 shows 2) can last more then 6-7 min.. even more if it was running idle
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Normal steady RPM/speed keeps it at like 20-25% open. Off-throttle & full throttle shuts it. (Hence totally wrong when some people think it can overheat engine, as its allways closed when engine is at anything that can ve defined as high power output)
Thanks for the clarification,  :goodjob2: Engine overheating may occur on some obscure models and it becomes part of any EGR discussion. Ive never seen it as a problem for the Hyundai.
XinZhao appears to be observing AC influencing EGR. Its worth exploring further. i'm intrigued, unfortunately, I am on RNR in NZ for a couple of weeks, Over to USED GUYS. :mrgreen:

guest9517

Thanks for the clarification,  :goodjob2: Engine overheating may occur on some obscure models and it becomes part of any EGR discussion. Ive never seen it as a problem for the Hyundai.
XinZhao appears to be observing AC influencing EGR. Its worth exploring further. i'm intrigued, unfortunately, I am on RNR in NZ for a couple of weeks, Over to USED GUYS. :mrgreen:

It was never an issue with overheating when at pre-EGR age ;-) And engines are still kind of same...Its a BS-story to scare people, nothing more. I got no clue as to what XinZhao is, but all i can see is what my 2016 does, and there is no connection at all observed through 400 Km of driving between A/C and EGR. I had the intro-technical docu to mechanics from Alfa to my former 159 with well defined cause & effects for the ECU & no connection there either. So cant really see what you want to explore, its as easy as driving a trip from cold until both oil & water-temp is at operating temp..Observe it as i did..But feel free offscourse ;-)

BTW..U might be thinking about regenerations, here EGR is closed during entire regen, making vacuum in the inlet when off-throttle....But dont imagine you would like to drive around doing regnes all the time ;-)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
check with Dazz he has the new PD, but we don't have regen on the Australian 30s. The SUVs have had it for a few years.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

check with Dazz he has the new PD, but we don't have regen on the Australian 30s. The SUVs have had it for a few years.

Mine is a Petrol Turbo (no DPF required) but the new PD CRDi in OZ does have DPF/ regenerations. Can't recall an active new member off hand who has a PD Diesel?

guest9517
Ill do a video next time im out driving...But you a in a dead end the EGR / AC-connection & theres absolutely no logical reason why there should be any connection. Euro-6 would be hard to achieve for a start ;-)

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
There shouldn't be. And I believe there's non on your vehicle. I think it's just a way to trick the system into thinking you satisfy euro 5 regulations while you actually don't. Something like the vw did with dieselgate..
If the ege would work all the time it would fail more often, plus it hurts somewhat on the dpf too..
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

guest9517
There shouldn't be. And I believe there's non on your vehicle. I think it's just a way to trick the system into thinking you satisfy euro 5 regulations while you actually don't. Something like the vw did with dieselgate..
If the ege would work all the time it would fail more often, plus it hurts somewhat on the dpf too..

The EGR works (is open) 95% of the time..Only when totally off-trottle or accelerating OR the car is doing regens the EGR is totally closed.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
so firescape has left?
Don't care!! I'm in NZ with the wog  :sweating: :sweating: :scared: :sweating:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

so firescape has left?
Take care mate! So the dreaded lergy is rampant over there too?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
so firescape has left?
Take care mate! So the dreaded lergy is rampant over there too?
As I flew into Christchurch, a dreaded inconsiderate woman was sitting in the row in front of me who was full of it and hacked and farted lergy over everyone. Doubt anyone escaped.  :crazy1:
Now, Back on topic, please!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
so firescape has left?

No, really sorry, just haven't been doing any i30 stuff recently, concentrating on getting my Evo back on the road, building a fuel system for it, other stuff.

I saw a question from way back asking about the need for replacing  gaskets after doing the egr system clean out, and the answer is that there's no gasket between the head and the intake manifold, bar the blockoff plate itself no other replacement parts are needed.

I haven't been doing any servicing on the car myself, getting the work done by the dealer whilst the car is still under factory warranty, so I'm not sure if there's been a change in the oil colour after the blockoff plate was installed.

Car has been ticking along great, averaging 4.5L of diesel per 100km, and has had approximately 12,000km put on it since the original post. Nothing really to report, but I'll try and be more active on here if anyone has any questions I can help with.
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal