i30 Owners Club

dashboard lighting not working

Offline alexandru79

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
ive bought  a hyundai i30cw 2010 petrol.all ok but there is a problem that i can't solve  it.i ve search the internet but with no luck.so....
when i turn on the headlights all the lighting to see the speedometer and also the blue digital panel go off.when i turn off the head lights the digital blue panel is on and has light.i've checked all the fuses including cluster and tail *2 10 amp.all good.the tail lights are working.ive checked also the box fuses near the air filter.nothing....any ideas?my car doesn't have a dimmer.on the left side are only 2 buttons ESP and headlights direction
  • i30 cw 2010

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi alexandru79

:wttc:

There have been issues with the screen/digital panel loosing all light, but I don't recall all light in the complete cluster have disappeared.

Hopefully one of the section moderators will turn up with more info to solve your problem.  You're not lucky to have some used car warranty you can claim..?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If @cruiserfied or @nzenigma drop by they may be able to draw from their experience and recognise the symptom. It looks to me like there is an unhealthy drain such as a near short in your headlight circuit robbing power from everything else. This could be at a switch or in the wiring. Has the car had any non-standard wiring done? Does the fusebox look normal?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I found this which may be of interest. Unfortunately the links for the  best images are dead.

:link: Dashboard rheostat illumination control

If I'm reading and understanding this correctly

• behind that blanking plate the dimmer control harness exists
  • you can purchase a dimmer module, plug n play and you should then have a dimmable backlight
  • the blanking plate plugs into the harness and completes the circuit for backlights
I'm wondering if it's worth popping that plate out and having a look.

Also I  think you stated you've checked this already but I found if Tail RH 10A fuse was removed my dash lights went out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 00:22:21 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
tw2005 's advice is worth following. Our cars all seem to have the rheostat.
While he beavered away Ive been checking the circuit and the power for the dimmer does come from the tail light circuit.
You do have an auto night sensor-- eg lights come on automatically?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If you just bought it, take it back and tell them to fix it.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If you just bought it, take it back and tell them to fix it.
:brilliant:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
you have to take into consideration, that the normal behavior of the dash lights is as follow: on when lights are off, dimmed when lights are on.
this is the late 2010 EU model.
so probably the dimming module is at fault.
there is no rheostat in this model and I don't know if you can add one.
as I have the early 2010 EU model, I added a rheostat and it works like charm.
I would guess that the dimming module  located behind the blank panel by the ESP button.
I also would guess that the immobilizer keypad is located over the blank panel. so probably one of the screws holding the keypad did some damage.
in Israel, the anti theft insurance is valid only if you add an external immobilizer. and guess where they put the keypad for the immobilizer?   they screw it to the blank panel of the dimmer.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline alexandru79

• 1st Gear

• il Israel

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
when you drive at night, the lights are dimmed or black out completely?
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If I understand you correct you say that when you remove the fuse for the taillight it will work ok..?

If so, please check you rear lights including the stoplights and fog lights. If there's a bulb seated wrong it can create a wrong earth/ground connection that can cause all sorts of trouble.

Just a thought....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline alexandru79

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
 :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
 yodm you are right!!!! ive checked and the connector was out from his place because of the immobilizer.i think when they install the immobilizer they push the connector a little and with time fell down.i so happy right know,i don't know how to thank you.thank you! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
  • i30 cw 2010

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
well done yodm  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
 yodm you are right!!!! ive checked and the connector was out from his place because of the immobilizer.i think when they install the immobilizer they push the connector a little and with time fell down.i so happy right know,i don't know how to thank you.thank you! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

You click the thank you button on his relevant post...  :happydance: :victory: :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal