i30 Owners Club

What is the recommend Automatic transaxle fluid?

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

• Hyundai i30 2011 CRDi Automatic
Hi guys,

I have Hyundai i30 2011 Hatchback with engine size 1.6. Today I checked the transaxle fluid and it was brown and a little bit dark. And I guess it's time to change. But I got some questions like:

1- If you have this type of car should you change or flush the transaxle fluid in the car. A lot of people say if you flush the fluid in the car it may cause problems. So what is recommended?

2- What is the best transaxle fluid? In my owners manual it says under the classification sections you can have DIAMOND ATF SP-III, SK ATF SP-III. So which one is the best one to use? (price doesn't matter)

3- How much should you fill up? People say that you should put back as much fluid as you took out. But that doesn't make sense because what if there is not much fluid? or the owner before put not much fluid to save themselves money. In my owners manual under the volume section that that for diesel engines 6.6 / (5.81 lmp. qts.). Is that how much you should put?

Thank you any help would do :goodjob:
  • Hyundai i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi guys,

I have Hyundai i30 2011 Hatchback with engine size 1.6. Today I checked the transaxle fluid and it was brown and a little bit dark. And I guess it's time to change. But I got some questions like:

1- If you have this type of car should you change or flush the transaxle fluid in the car. A lot of people say if you flush the fluid in the car it may cause problems. So what is recommended?

2- What is the best transaxle fluid? In my owners manual it says under the classification sections you can have DIAMOND ATF SP-III, SK ATF SP-III. So which one is the best one to use? (price doesn't matter)

3- How much should you fill up? People say that you should put back as much fluid as you took out. But that doesn't make sense because what if there is not much fluid? or the owner before put not much fluid to save themselves money. In my owners manual under the volume section that that for diesel engines 6.6 / (5.81 lmp. qts.). Is that how much you should put?

Thank you any help would do :goodjob:

There's going to be all sorts of opinions, but here's mine from an unqualified point of view. I've owned Mitsubishis as well which used SPIII which is a Mitsubishi specced fluid.

I've flushed 2 x F4A51 Mitsubishi boxes with no issue. And I have 2 x 1.6 CRDi I30 and I've flushed them out too, also no issue.

I have read of issues with really badly neglected boxes full of debris that may shift and get lodged in a flush But  a 2011 box unless it's done an absurd amount of miles and been thrashed , you're probably safe.

There are professional flushing machines out there but I have little knowledge in that area.

For the DIY, which I am I found it fairly easy to do.

Draining from the pan you may get 2-3 litres at best out.

I have posted some imagery on a basic setup in another thread..

In a perfect world you could remove the pan, clean the magnets, replace the internal filter but you'll either need an aftermarket gasket or liquid sealant suitable for the pan which is how it's factory sealed. One of mine had the valve body replaced and they used a gasket, .. it leaks slowly.

I'd have to go look for it but this is how I did mine

Remove drain plug, drain what you can. refit it. Pour in the amount drained say 2.5 litres of clean fluid.

On the radiator as you face the vehicle are 2 hose connections, upper and lower. they connect to the internal  oil cooler.

If you discoonect the hose from the upper pipe at the rad, then loosen the pipe at the radiator17mm I think) carefully rotate the pipe to the top of the engine bay to make things a little easier, then nip the flange nut up.

I used clear pvc tubing, I think 5/16 or 8mm, connected to that pipe, then into a bucket which i secured it too so it did not come out and spill every where.

Start the car and watch the old fluid being pumped out through the torque converter.

The moment pressure slows or air pockets appear, shut it down, refill again 2-3 litre, continue and repeat.

Once the fluid becomes clearer and nice red then it's safe to assume the flush is complete. If you continue until it aerates again, add 2 litres , Reconnect the hoses and piping as they were. On level ground start the car, run the selector through all ranges , then stop at  Neutral (not Park).

Use the dipstack to check level. there is a cold and hot mark. Check it is at cold or just above. I found checking the fluid tricky cold after refilling, .

take it for a drive to get it at normal temps in the trans, then recheck the level(in N) should be at the Hot mark. Top up as needed. maybe do it in small amounts until it's right. I don't remember what th edifference is from cold to hot but maybe 250ml at a time.

I've used SPIII from Mitsubishi and also Penrite Multivehicle FS ( full syn) with no issues.

I found my local dealer useless and they did not sell non - commercial amounts .

Here at least I can get SPIII from Mitsubishi in 5L bottles and generally cheaper than the 4 L aftermarket fluid from local shops.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:38:38 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm just doing a search on SPIII an dpasting. I've only read some of but comments from Cruiserfield are ones to pay attention too.

:link: FD i30 A4CF2 Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush

:link: what auto transmission fluid to use?

:link: MOST COMMON PROBLEM WE SEE

:link: New owner serviced at 54000 kms.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal