i30 Owners Club

Android head unit with DAB+ and cameras

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
While I haven't even received my 2014 SE i30 yet, I'm already planning modifications.

I'd like to take the standard head unit out of it and replace it with an android one like this (contains one potentially NSFW picture).

It comes with DAB+, which would be nice, but also allows me to install two cameras, one reversing one and one to act as a DVR.

I've got a couple of questions in regards to this before I start ordering the things:

• The car wasn't advertised as having a camera, I'm assuming an SE doesn't always have one, is that correct?
  • I've read that the microphone is noise cancelling and because of this, you can't use it on an android head unit. Can anyone confirm?
  • If I can't use the microphone, is it easy to recable and put a new mic in? Or can I cut off the existing one and use the same wires to connect a new one?
  • Is it easy to run a cable to the rear of the car or should I go with a wireless reversing camera? (Bonus question there wouldn't happen to be a camera cable already, as it's an option, would it?)
  • Has anyone done this and have they had any problems (mic as above, steering wheel buttons, etc)?
  • Will this void my warranty (except for on the head unit obviously)?
  • Is the antenna amplified? If so, is the signal filtered?

Thanks everyone!

Edit: Added question 7 as I'm planning to just split the antenna signal if possible and run it to a DAB+ box for digital radio.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 13:41:54 by spludgey »
  • i30

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Okay, I've done some reading over the past two nights and think I've got some answers:

1. I think it won't have a camera.
2. Seems that mine is likely not to have a microphone either, as it's built into the head unit.
3. As above, will have to decide on a location and run a cable or just use the mic built into the head unit. I'm actually thinking of drilling a small hole into the plastic cover of the A pillar and putting the microphone in there.
4., 5. and 6. ?
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd just use the mic that's built into the head unit, why bother shifting it :confused:

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
A couple of the reviews that I read said that it was a bit hard to hear for people on the other end. So if you move it closer to your mouth, it should be better, especially given that the microphone is on the left of the head unit. I'll give it a go first though and see whether the inbuilt microphone is workable or not.
  • i30

Offline Dave86

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
I had one of these Android units in my FD, i can't say i woulgd recommend them. Yes they are full of features, but none were very polished. Mine was slow, glitchy, poorly rendered and clearly chinese in origin. It lasted a year before it broke down, and the satnav was at best laughable.
  • 2015 I30 Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the feedback Dave. We have had a fairly new member that raved about the one he recently installed I will try and find the link to his thread.

Here's the one he gave good feedback about.

:link: Android 5.1 Quad Core Car stereo DVD Player Gps Navigation Hyundai I30 2011-14 | eBay

Are you still happy with it @chris_i30gd

And here is the thread with his comments...

:link: i30 ebay aftermarket update - awesome items
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I had one of these Android units in my FD, i can't say i woulgd recommend them. Yes they are full of features, but none were very polished. Mine was slow, glitchy, poorly rendered and clearly chinese in origin. It lasted a year before it broke down, and the satnav was at best laughable.

Thanks for your warning.
However, I think that Chinese products are improving vastly year on year in terms of quality. For example, I use a Chinese phone now, something that would have been unthinkable just a few years ago.

I have also flashed a lot of different ROMs to different phones and have checked that there threads on the development forum XDA about them, which is usually a good sign.
It seems that apart from the screen and the fascia, most of these units use the same underlying technology and can be made to use generic as well as custom roms.

And as long as they're not lying about specs on aliexpress (which can be the case at times, but given the amount of positive feedback some units have, I think it's unlikely), then you can actually get an octacore one with 2GB of ram. This is certainly enough to run GPS, maps, cameras, radio and other apps without being laggy (in theory at least).

Hope it doesn't sound like I'm disputing your post, which I'm absolutely not, I'm just hoping that my experience will be a little bit more positive than yours.

If there's interest, I can make a thread about the upgrade and post a few pictures.
  • i30

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Rightio, I just finished ordering nearly everything that I need to make this project happen.

The only two things that I'm not sure about yet are:
  • Whether I'll be able to use FM antenna for the DAB+ as well or not. I'd much prefer this as I won't then have to put a sticker antenna on my windscreen. If I can't I might try and mount the DAB+ antenna under the grill, if there's a spot that's not taken up by the cooler. The one thing that's missing is the plug that goes into the DAB+ antenna, as I don't know what connector it is yet.
  • I'm hoping that I'll be able to run the reversing camera cable from the front to the rear fairly easily. If that's not the case, then I'll have to order a wireless signal transmitter before I can use the camera.

Here are the links to the equipment that I ended up buying:
If people are interested in this project, I'm happy to take pictures or a video.

• i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good luck with everything spludgey. I'm sure many of us would love you to take photos and or a video.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dave86

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
Hope it doesn't sound like I'm disputing your post, which I'm absolutely not, I'm just hoping that my experience will be a little bit more positive than yours.

Not at all, i hope yours works better than the one i had!
  • 2015 I30 Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If it were a leading brand manufactured in China I would say no problem as they have to adhere to the brand guidelines, but a Chinese branded unit I wouldn't touch.

Hopefully you have good luck with it though and I'll be interested to see the results :Good_luck:

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
still happy with the 7" chinese android unit after  a few months of use.
Of course the time of use is short. The unit is quite fast. I think there also
8 core units now.

Mine is quad core, with antutu score near 18.000 - Rockchip RK3188
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Glad to hear that you're still happy with it. Are you using the external microphone or is the one in the head unit good enough for phone calls? Did you mount the GPS receiver behind your mirror?

Yes, I ended up ordering the 8 core one as it wasn't that much more expensive. According to Youtube, it scored 45,000. I ran it on my phone as well as comparison and it came up with over 100,000.
But hopefully it shouldn't matter as I can always use the mirror link, should the head unit not be fast enough to do something.

• i30

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
I am using external mic that was also included in package.
The quality of bluetooth is not as a professional system but is nice.

The gps and the unit was mounted by a technician so I don't kwow where is it exactly.
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal