i30 Owners Club

Complete audio overhaul help/ discussion

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
G'Day all,
First off, this is my first time posting on the forum so be gentle.  :winker: :winker:

In a week (May 8th) I can finally get my P's, as a nearly 21 yo I'm a late bloomer when it comes to getting a license lol, but thats a story for another time.
I bought a 2009 Hyundai i30 SX from my parents (mothers old car, she now has a veloster!).

So, after a couple days searching all over this forum I have found extremely helpful things to do with a stereo overhaul.
As a poor uni student only doing 18hrs part time work I have decided to do a gradual overhaul to the stereo rather than a 'balls to wall' upgrade all at once.

This is my plan; along with questions I'd love to get answers to from this great community!

Part 1: Head Unit

So, to start; I have checked, double checked, and triple checked that a fascia I want to buy will fit in the car, specifically this one: (link below for the ebay page)
:link: Hyundai i30 08-11 Manual Double Din car stereo facia fascia kit dash panel trim | eBay

I plan on pairing it with the JVC KW-R920BT (link below too)
:link: JB Hi-Fi | JVC KW-R920BT Double DIN CD Player with Bluetooth

Now, first question, as a fairly budget double din stereo, do you think its a decent/ acceptable head unit? Keep in mind I didn't really want to go over $150AUD for the head unit.
The other option is this one (link below):
:link: JB Hi-Fi | Sony WX900BT 220W Double DIN CD Receiver with Bluetooth

Part 2: The Amp and Sub

Somewhere down the road I'll be installing a 4 channel amp and a sub.
Before I continue, I'll show the amp I want to get but I'm still unsure what subwoofer I want to get.

The amp I plan on getting is the Pioneer (link on the right) GM-D8604 . I've had a look at a couple others, I wanted to get a rockford fosgate amp, for example this one , however I can't find a cheap(ish) one I like. The thing I like about the pioneer one is that the seller on ebay sells it with a complete (hopefully anyway) wiring kit. This is the image on the ebay page:

Link to the page itself:
:link: PIONEER GM-D8604 DIGITAL 1200 WATT 4 CHANNEL CAR AMPLIFIER AMP + 4 CHN CABLE KIT | eBay

Before I get any further:

There is one hugely lingering question in my head. In my car in the glove there is currently an aux cord and a use port. Image of this (its messy I know, I need to clean it again lol):

When I replace the head unit is there any way I can connect these to the head unit? It would be cool to still able to use the 'stock' ports in the car, less clutter around the head unit that way. Any advice is greatly appreciated!  :) :)

Part 3: Speaker Upgrade

This part it to be continued as I haven't gotten this far. I had some really nice alpine speaker & tweeter units, the SPR-50's I think from memory, in my Nissan Pulsar I used to learn in.

Along with this I had an idea to get a mono amp for the sub so that way I can have the 4ch amp covering all 4 speakers and then the mono amp covering the sub; but this would need more power meaning potentially another battery? (question to be answered lol).

As a final note:

I plan on having the head unit, 4ch amp, and sub installed by the end of the year and I would love to document it all for anyone who wants to do the same task. 
I will be on a 5 week overseas trip over the mid year uni break so my money will be extremely scarce when I get back lol.
Anyway, its been a long post and I hope have the support of many of you experienced fellows on this forum! This seems like a very tight-knit community that I'd love to be apart of.

Expect an update within the next couple weeks.

Piece out! 
  • 2009 Hyundai FD 5 Door Hatch, 2.0lt Petrol, Auto, Sky Blue

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Do you have your heart set on being able to listen to CDs? Otherwise I'd personally go with an android head unit instead. About the same price and you get GPS with it.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

• i30

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
To be completely honest I tried to look for some but couldn't find any around the 150 mark, if you have a suggestion please link it :D

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Here's one that's a bit over your budget, but not too much.

You might be able to find something that squeezes in under the $150 mark.
  • i30

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
It looks good, but theres something about it thats putting me off lol  :lol:

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
**EDIT**
I just realized that the RCAs (white and red) are inputs not outputs! xD
Theres Left and Right outputs, and a sub output and

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yes, they should allow you to keep the headphone jack in your picture working.

The usb one can plug into the back of the usb ports as well, so that should be fine too.

The only annoying thing is that the controls are on the right not the left, but most head units will be made for a left hand drive car.
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome bruster. I'm no audio expert so I'll let other who are more into audio mods handle your query.

Only on the i30 owner's club can you watch a conversation between bruster and spludgey  :D :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Only on the i30 owner's club can you watch a conversation between bruster and spludgey  :D :goodjob:
:lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
*Update*

Got a message from the 'top audio' eBay seller that I ordered the fascia from. He is out of stock :'(
I got a refund from the part and I am awaiting a reply to see when he will get the part back

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bugger!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline spludgey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
How handy are you? I haven't looked at it in detail, but it seems to me as though you might get away with cutting it yourself. You're getting rid of the old one anyway, so it's worth a try, right?
It's definitely what I would do.
  • i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal