i30 Owners Club

What is wrong with my wheels?

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

• Hyundai i30 2011 CRDi Automatic
Hi guys,
Yesterday I was cleaning my Hyundai and I noticed bubbles is starting to form around the wheel. Now I assume it is the clear coat bubbling.... But I am not certain about it. What do you guys think it is? I have posted an image below (I wish I can post more but the size of the file will be too big). And how can I go on about fixing it?
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks! :goodjob2:

• Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I personally wouldn't recommend anyone to download your zipped file, how are we to know it's not infected :eek:

If you need to post images on the forum you can upload to Imgur :link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet and copy paste the BBcode created to your post.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Generally our SMF uploader can sanitize files, but as Craig says it's never a great idea to push zips onto people :winker:

I've copied the picture to imgur.

Now, that bubbling is difficult to work out. I've not seen clearcoat behaving like that but I have seen paintwork suffer in a similar fashion.

What happens if you try to "pop" one of the bubbles? See if just the lacquer comes away.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

It wouldn't pop. I guess like you said it is probably a paintwork issue. Do you know any fix for this?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for fixing that Steve :goodjob:

I've seen similar happen when brake fluid hasn't been wiped off straight away and wheel/tyre cleaner that isn't suitable for painted rims.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: naser_1998x
... Do you know any fix for this?

Well I tend to use ChipsAway for paintwork - it works out quite cheap and looks amazing when they've finished - much better value than any bodyshop.

That said, last time I called them they were no longer operating in the Manchester area, but that was last October and times change.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm thinking the alloy is oxidising under the paint
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I had to look up your previous posts to see what model and age your vehicle was. MIght be an idea to add these details to your signature. I see it is an FD (2011) so unfortunately not under warranty  :Pout: Is it all 4 wheels or just one? If only one and you have an alloy spare then I would swap it over.  :idea:

Doesn't look like a clear coat issue unfortunately. I think tw2005 is on the money. We don't need salt on our roads in the winter, but i'm assuming that has somehow got under the paint and caused a reaction with the alloy.

Hopefully there is an economical repairer like chipsaway available. I actually like doing paint repairs myself, but quite a lot of preparation required to do it properly.  :cool:

If you are handy like that, there would be plenty of how to videos on you tube. It is all about the preparation and colour matching.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You have harsh road conditions in your country. I think it is a result of salt on the roads.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I'm thinking the alloy is oxidising under the paint

I second this.  :whsaid:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Do you think using sand paper and spraying the wheel back would help??? Thank you
  • Hyundai i30

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

How much does ChipsAway usually cost for repairing all four wheels? (estimation) many thanks
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: naser_1998x
How much does ChipsAway usually cost for repairing all four wheels? (estimation) many thanks

You'd have to book an appointment for them to visit and quote you.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do you think using sand paper and spraying the wheel back would help??? Thank you

You would need to be confident in your ability to do this properly. If I were doing it, I would do something like this..

a) remove each wheel (obviously)
b) use a dremel type tool with a grinding stone (like this) to remove the worst of the oxidation.
:link: Product Details - dremel.com
c) use medium and very fine emery papers to get the surface smooth and even.
d) take the wheel to somewhere who does colour matching and can put it in a spray can for you. You would probably need 2 cans for all 4 wheels.
e) You would also need some sort of alloy primer and a clear coat (so in Australia that would probably total A$100 for the paint alone)
f) Get a quote from chipsaway or someone as the cost and effort of a DIY result may be disappointing..  :undecided: :evil: :cool:

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Thank you, your commenting helped a lot. :goodjob2: I will probably get in touch from chipsaway tomorrow. But minimum how much do they usually take? I just want to prepare my budget :confused:
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thank you, your commenting helped a lot. :goodjob2: I will probably get in touch from chipsaway tomorrow. But minimum how much do they usually take? I just want to prepare my budget :confused:

As I hinted, it's a pretty big job. I would think 50 pounds a wheel would be fair, but being I'm on the other side of the world I could be way off the mark.  :undecided:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Defiantly oxidization of the alloy. We get a lot of it here in the winters, especially on poor quality rims. Think one of mine already has a few bubbles.

Unfortunately the only thing to do is to sand em down and repaint them or buy new ones, some rims do 20 years in Scandinavian winters showing no sign of oxidation even without regular washing. Others get it after their first winter. Probably a mix between quality, finish and rim design(less divets etc for grime to get stuck in).
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal