i30 Owners Club

Locking glove box.

ABSi30 · 16 · 3726

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Whenever I leave my car parked in places where I may be a while away from it I always lock the glove box. On returning to leave I sometimes forget to unlock it and by the time my other half asks for her sunglasses phone etc. we are on our way. If I was to get an uncut key would it fit the lock as I understand it has a groove down the middle on both sides. Would this work  or does it have to be cut to fit. 

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED TRY TRY AND TRY AGAIN
Winston Churchill.
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think you'd have to get it cut. But get a non transponder blank. It should do the door as well and the ignition up to "accessories"
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Do you have a spare or service key you could use
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Thanks for replies. I have the 2 key fobs for my car but I would not chance the other half with my spare. As stated if a blank blade will open and lock the glovebox and open the doors that is all I require from it. I am going to Amazon to order one the plastic complete with buttons no insides.  They are about £4 so nothing lost. Will update
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for replies. I have the 2 key fobs for my car but I would not chance the other half with my spare. As stated if a blank blade will open and lock the glovebox and open the doors that is all I require from it. I am going to Amazon to order one the plastic complete with buttons no insides.  They are about £4 so nothing lost. Will update
You will still need to have the blank cut to match your key otherwise it won't operate the tumblers.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

While in my local sainsburys today they have a timpson franchise which cut car keys.

They had displayed a card with blanks and sure there was a blank just like my flipper.

Not sure of price but worth a look if one near you.

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Another perspective on this: if someone were to break into the car they would have no trouble breaking into the glove box in a few extra seconds with whatever they used to get into the car. As the saying goes, locks are only designed to keep honest people out.

I would only lock a glove box when leaving the car to get serviced, washed, and that's if your car has a service key that doesn't open the box. Otherwise I see it as risking additional damage to the vehicle in case of theft.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good point cleid. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Another perspective on this: if someone were to break into the car they would have no trouble breaking into the glove box in a few extra seconds with whatever they used to get into the car. As the saying goes, locks are only designed to keep honest people out.

I would only lock a glove box when leaving the car to get serviced, washed, and that's if your car has a service key that doesn't open the box. Otherwise I see it as risking additional damage to the vehicle in case of theft.

Beat me to it. Locking the glove box just tells the thief to take a screwdriver to it because there is something worthwile inside.

If I had something I needed to leave in the car I would hide it in car somewhere. Thieves are only looking for quick gain, so will not generally look under seats, in the wheel well etc. Best option is not to leave valuables in the car (Or if you do keep them well hidden, and have nothing on display).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My dad RIP used to leave his car completely unlocked and with the glovebox open and empty. I used to do the same with my old Commodore but as a DIYer, I couldn't resist connecting the courtesy light circuit to the horn via a switch in the boot, just to piss off anyone opening the car door. All it took was speaker wire and a toggle switch.  :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My dad RIP used to leave his car completely unlocked and with the glovebox open and empty. I used to do the same with my old Commodore but as a DIYer, I couldn't resist connecting the courtesy light circuit to the horn via a switch in the boot, just to piss off anyone opening the car door. All it took was speaker wire and a toggle switch.  :lol:

Funny, a bloke at work hooked up the horn of another blokes car to the indicator some how. Every time he tried to turn it on, the horn would beep in time to the flashing. Try not using your indicator after many years of using it by reflex.  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
If Billy the Burglar has already broken into the car and finds the glove box locked that will surely convince him/her that you have something worth nicking in there. 

So the locked glove box will just be a minor challenge to be jemmied open, whist at the same time totally trashing the interior.

Over here the car thieves usually burn out your pride and joy once they've had their fun, ever since our great CONSERVATIVE leader Maggie changed the law so that stealing a car is now no longer stealing, it's just borrowing without your consent  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
If Billy the Burglar has already broken into the car and finds the glove box locked that will surely convince him/her that you have something worth nicking in there. 

So the locked glove box will just be a minor challenge to be jemmied open, whist at the same time totally trashing the interior.

Over here the car thieves usually burn out your pride and joy once they've had their fun, ever since our great CONSERVATIVE leader Maggie changed the law so that stealing a car is now no longer stealing, it's just borrowing without your consent  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That's one way to cut the crime figures.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I find that there's a direct correlation between cutting jugulars and crime figures - cause and effect, really. :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Billy the Burglar

Asa the bulldog

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal