i30 Owners Club

Stripped wheel stud

Offline gurninman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Went to replace my rear discs earlier, have never had the rear wheels off since I've had the car
One of the wheel nuts was not even tight , and the reason , as I found out later , was that the thread was stripped
So, I need to get a new stud / nut - anyone know what size the studs are on a MY 2011 FD wagon ?
I'd rather just buy a generic one than a genuine one at 3 times the price....

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Genuine should be quite cheap from a wreckers I'd think :undecided:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
This is the oem number fitted to my 2010 SLX 130CW. Probably most big Auto Stores will have aftermarket catalogues but I would price genuine first.

And where are  you from ?

527552G000

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline gurninman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks - I'm in the UK
That looks very similar to a few I've been looking at , will check with the local dealer tomorrow

Offline gurninman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Quick update , had a quick look before work (I work form home :)  ) , managed to get the stripped wheel nut off by taking all the others off and used to wheel to put some outward pressure on while I popped it off with an impact gun
The wheel nut thread was totally buggered , but the stud was only knackered on the first few threads. Ran a  die down it , and it's now all good
Already have a load of spare M12 x 1.5 wheelnuts , so easy job .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done! Nice recovery...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :Agoodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Quick update , had a quick look before work (I work form home :)  ) , managed to get the stripped wheel nut off by taking all the others off and used to wheel to put some outward pressure on while I popped it off with an impact gun
The wheel nut thread was totally buggered , but the stud was only knackered on the first few threads. Ran a  die down it , and it's now all good

How was the damage caused? If the stud has been overtightened it needs replacing.  I wouldn't chance it for the low cost involved in replacing it.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

How was the damage caused? If the stud has been overtightened it needs replacing.  I wouldn't chance it for the low cost involved in replacing it.

If only the first few threads were damaged the nut was put on cross threaded so should be fine, the nut was replaced by the sounds of it.. Good advice though if ever over tightened. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal