i30 Owners Club

My i30 1.4T-GDI (made in Europe)

MIY · 28 · 11786

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Hello dear friends!
As I find this Hyundai forum the most entertaining and resourceful of all, I decided to join you guys for real. For real, because I'm a member since 2013, but never shared my experience or participated on discussions.
I'm the happy owner of a 2017 1,4T-GDI Exclusive Launch Edition, the second i30 I own. The GD 1,6 120CP I owned for 5 years, was sold 10 days after I got the new PD. I was more than pleased with it. Never had any issue and drove all the 80.100 km without any problem.

I noticed some minor differences between options and finishes for those made in Europe compared to those made in Korea. Here in Europe we don't get the 1,6T-GDI you lucky guys have in Australia, Asia and US.
At the moment, the one I bought, is the best we can get in Romania. Only options for this trim, were color and the 7DCT, wich I didn't want, as I'm more of a petrol and manual lover.

So, here's a small description of the one I got.

1,4T-GDI engine with 140HP and 242Nm
210 km/h and 8,9 s  (0-100km/h)
Moon rock grey pearl effect color
Full LED headlights
Fog lights
5 inch color display
Rear camera + park sensors
Heated steering wheel + front seats
17 inch wheels
Auto pilot...

...and pretty much the rest of Hyundai's usual options for PD.

I was a bit disappointed to find out I don't have rear LED lights and chrome cascade grille. But I guess I'll fix these later, next year. I would have gone for the 8 inch display, but it's not available here...

After owning the car for a month and driving 2,5k km, I can say I'm really impressed with it. It's very quiet, runs smooth and quite fast actually. Headlights are the thing I love the most about this car, apart from it's design and color. Feels like a very well balanced car, easy to drive and all my friends and family loved it so far.
Medium consumption indicated by the BC is 7,4l/100km since I got it. Never reset it. Car is used 80% for city traffic, always with A/C on, since there is mid summer here.

I have some upgrading plans, as none of my previous cars were left untouched by my desire of making them unique and a bit different. I will really love the double exhaust rear diffuser you guys have on SR models in Australia, some alcantara covered parts inside, LED rear lights, N pack conversion and some other minor touches to sharpen it's appearance even more.

And here are some pics with it:

P7288999

P7288994

P7288938

FullSizeRender (1)

P7289013

P7288984

P7288987

P7288989

P7288992

P7288985

Thanks for watching!
Comments are welcomed.
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent post! Thanks so much for that. Looks great! :victory:

It's strange we don't seem to get front fog lights in any model of the PD over here.

Nice touch the footrest is metal look too (mine isn't) :cool:

Edit: I like your grill as it is.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi MIY, great post and good photos. Lovely looking car and as Dazz said grill looks great as is, but of course it is personal preference that counts. I enjoyed your first post and it would be great for more reviews on your new car and any mods you carry out.  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Thanks for your comments. I thought SR models have alu footrest, but I guess I wasn't paying attention to that when I've watched the pictures.

I also like this grill more as it looks more sporty, but the reason I want to change it is that the one with chrome is not available here and that would make me the only one in the country who has it, until the model gets a little bit older and people will start to buy it used from Germany. LOL

Fog lights are a nice touch too and I'm waiting to use them on foggy weather to see if there's any difference as the LED headlights are very powerful.

I will post here any further feedback and mods I'll have.

Oh, by the way, no one noticed I've deleted make and model from rear end. None of my cars ever had writings, as I don't like it at all.
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Car looks nice :goodjob2: I don't think any model here has a full chrome grill :undecided: it wouldn't look nice imo as to big a chunk of chrome in one spot.

The only thing that would really disappoint me there would be the 5" screen on the stereo, the Euro built models used to have the better features...what were they thinking :head_knock:

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
The only thing that would really disappoint me there would be the 5" screen on the stereo, the Euro built models used to have the better features...what were they thinking :head_knock:

Thank you!
The grill is not fully chromed, there are some tiny chrome rhomboid shape parts on it.
In Europe one can order the 8 inch unit, but not in my country...
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Thank you!
The grill is not fully chromed, there are some tiny chrome rhomboid shape parts on it.
That would be a nice upgrade then if you could get an 8" unit from one of the other European Hyundai centres :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thank you!
That would be a nice upgrade then if you could get an 8" unit from one of the other European Hyundai centres :)

Save the money swapping the nice grill and do the head unit!  :idea: :victory:

Fancy not noticing the badges!  :crazy1:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I did notice that but did not think anything of it as I have a GD Elite and when new it did not carry an Elite badge on the rear.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Well, my first investment will be in the dual exhaust rear diffuser, as it looks great and can't be found on any trim level here in Europe.
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well, my first investment will be in the dual exhaust rear diffuser, as it looks great and can't be found on any trim level here in Europe.

Good move. My Oldest Grandson calls them twin boosters.  :victory:

Offline i30joe

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Jarrow
This is a thing of beauty makes me feel inadequate about my car lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 2011 i30 crdi comfort

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Great pictures MIY. I like the fog lights, car colour is fabulous too. I remember BMW used to charge you extra money for not adding rear badges. Never quite understood that. Overall I think your car looks great. The Rear diffuser needs a bit of modifying. Maybe new I30N rear diffuser. Really like & need those LED headlights
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it!
When I was a child I used to get car magazines from Germany and read that same thing about rear badges. I really loved the fact that cars with big engines had no badging and people didn't know if a car, like a 5 series or a E Klasse is 1.6 or 3.0 and I said to myself, that when Imma grow up, I'm gonna do the same thing with my cars. LOL
I really dig the N package and I would love to fit my car with it as I did fixed RS or R packages before with other cars I've owned, but till then, rear diffuser from SR looks like a cheaper option.
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
If you do an eBay search, you'll find replacement grills for the PD.  There seems to be two variants, one with a piece added at the the top.  They don't seem very expensive.  They are from a seller based in Poland 🇵🇱.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you do an eBay search, you'll find replacement grills for the PD.  There seems to be two variants, one with a piece added at the the top.  They don't seem very expensive.  They are from a seller based in Poland 🇵🇱.

Bob

Was that an Ebay international search Bob. I didn't find any?

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30

Bob

Was that an Ebay international search Bob. I didn't find any?

Well, lets see.  Location was Poland 🇵🇱.  I think that's international  :rofl:

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Bob
Be much easier if next time you would put the link to what you're talking about.

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30

Bob
Be much easier if next time you would put the link to what you're talking about.

I'll have to find a way of getting a link off the iPad app I use for eBay.

i30 PD Grill

That better?  I've learnt something.  :Shocked:

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Craig..

:tease: :harhar: at Bob... 

Craig got them up on Aussie Ebay, but they didn't come up in my searches. I thought maybe I had to use the Global Site or something.  :needspecscleaning:

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Yes, sure I did my search right after I bought the car. If you read carefully item description, you'll find that item from the Polish seller is used and if you check the pictures, you will see, as he stated in the description, that small scratches and wear signs of the surrounding chrome grille are visible.
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Car turns soon 7k km and I'm more than pleased with it.
Runs perfect and it really is a pleasure to drive it everyday. Recently had a minor incident, someone scratched the rear buper and rear valence and they had to be replaced. I thought it was a good time to change the rear diffuser with the dual exhaust one, but since is not available here in Europe, I couldn't do it... as the dealer didn't had any part number.

Average consumption fluctuates between 6,7 to 7 l/100km, depending on how much I drive outside the city. Considering I drive a bit sporty, I find it more than decent.

I love everything about the car and I hope, along the years, it will stand up to the quality of my previous GD i30. I'll keep you guys posted with news.

• 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for the update.. I could write almost exactly the same thing! I've just passed the 7K mark as well. My economy with the extra 200cc of engine capacity is sitting around the 7.5 L/100kms which I am also happy with.  :goodjob:

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Merry Christmas to you all and may you remain the best i30 community on Earth!

PC229687
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice photo. Thanks. Same to you.  :goodjob:

Offline FitAria

• 1st Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore, Asia
Nice review of the car.  I will be picking up my 2018 i30 wagon up next month.  Looking forward to share some reviews and pictures with your guys. Cheers! :)
  • 2018 i30 Wagon

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Thanks, I’m sure you’ll love it! It’s a great car!
Last Friday at 15800 km, I’ve made one year service. Changed oil and all filters, including air filter, which was scheduled for next year.
Car runs better after service.
Right after service, the next day, I took it in a one week vacation at the sea side.

What I really like:
After one year I can say I still love it like day one. Engine runs smooth, it’s quite agile and you can always count on it, no matter if the car is full (passengers + luggage) or runs in the mountains at over 2000 m above sea level.
Since I’ve bought it, it shows an average of 7.5l/100km. Bear in mind that I drive it 80% in town. I find it ok, as I’m driving a bit sporty.
Full LED lights are awesome, showing the roads perfectly in any weather conditions.
Inside it’s quiet at any speed, but the engine has a very mild burbling when shifting gears at hi revs, wich is nice. I wish it sounded more aggressive.
I couldn’t find any real weak spots... hmm, ok, when it rains at night and wipers are on, it shows a malfunction message of the windshield camera, but I got used to it. I’ve read on a Romanian forum that dealers have an update for it, but it still shows the message, not that often, but it does. I might pay them a visit.

Future plans:
Front grille camera + navigation
Maybe a power upgrade
Maybe a K&N filter
N fabric floor mats (I have rubber mats)

And the latest picture I took from it.

• 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal