Check BSD System message on my MY18 PD SR

Dazzler · 12 · 5140

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Did nearly 700 kilometres this weekend in my PD SR. Performed flawlessly in almost every way.

However, just before we headed home Got a warning triangle on the dash and a message between the speedo and taco saying "Check BSD System" and the blind spot detection system in both mirrors stopped working.

It didn't reset when I stopped a couple of times on the way home and pressing the button marked with the BSD symbol did nothing (no indicator light lit or went out)

All other safety systems seemed to be still working. Automated Cruise, Lane departure warning, Rear cross traffic alert. etc..

I thought it worked from cameras in the bottom of the mirrors do I cleaned the mirrors and housings with a damp wipe, but made no difference.

A bit of a quick google when I got home suggests the sensors are n the rear bumper which is pretty dirty, so I will try cleaning that tomorrow before contacting the dealer. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Yes, sensors are located in the rear bumper for BSD. So try to clean them.
I got the front camera detection message a few times when it was heavy rain, but disappeared 1-2 minutes after the wipers did their job and the considerable amount of water stopped.
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, sensors are located in the rear bumper for BSD. So try to clean them.
I got the front camera detection message a few times when it was heavy rain, but disappeared 1-2 minutes after the wipers did their job and the considerable amount of water stopped.

Thanks. pretty dirty old day today. Lots of spray coming up off the road. Was getting dark and I was tired by the time I got home.  :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I gave my car a thorough wash and it didn't make any difference. So it is booked in Wednesday for an investigation.  :undecided:

From a quick google doesn't look like a very common issue.

Will keep you posted.  :cool:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
So "PD" equates to "Pretty Dirty" then? :snigger:

My "Fairly Dirty" model was never as clean as my "Generally Dirty" derivative.

Unlucky Dazz - hope it gets sorted easily, but I'm going to guess your mechs won't have a clue. I said it first.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So "PD" equates to "Pretty Dirty" then? :snigger:

My "Fairly Dirty" model was never as clean as my "Generally Dirty" derivative.

Unlucky Dazz - hope it gets sorted easily, but I'm going to guess your mechs won't have a clue. I said it first.

You are a funny man... Yeah, I'm guessing they will clear some codes and it will return the next day.. I'll do some more research before Wednesday then give them a timeline with what they need to do and what I expect of the outcome.  :D

Sell it  :snigger:

I might have to use those non existent "Lemon" laws... I'm not too fussed about that feature. I can still turn my neck (a bit)

If it had been the Autonomous cruise all hell would have broken loose!  :evil:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Joking aside  Dazz, I hope it is a small problem that is easily solved. :Good_luck:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Joking aside  Dazz, I hope it is a small problem that is easily solved. :Good_luck:

Cheers John, you are a good fella.  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dropped it in about 9 am this morning an was told should be ready by Lunch time. Service guys offered me a lift and sales guys offered me a loan car if I wanted it... But I needed a good walk!

By the time I did 6000 steps and had a visit to the library and some well earned morning tea it was after 11am and raining so I got them to come and collect me from town.

The service guys were just about to ring me to tell me it was sorted.

Apparently the system had just "taken a hissy fit'  So they reset the codes, reloaded the software and  tested it. The warning light and error message are gone, so we shall see.

The test drive must have been interesting as I'm usually in the good economy range (top 15% or better on autolink) but today's rating is now "Normal" top 52% ... Although says top speed today only 73 kph?     

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Did about 450 kilometres yesterday. Had a brilliant day including a 1000 metre climb into the central lake country. My SR was brilliant. Gobbled up the very steep road and averaged less than 7 L/100kms.

However, the blind spot monitoring had another hiccup (3 times) resetting itself each time I stopped and restarted the car. I didn't make special stops, just waited until I needed to for other reasons.

Different message this time. "Blind spot monitoring disabled - radar blocked". Or something like that!!

On the single lane carriageways I was driving on it wasn't really going to affect me, but I suspect there is some problem with that sensor. :cool:

I will leave it for a while and see if it comes right.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Interesting problem. Hope they sort it for you quickly. As noted, it doesn't seem to be a common drama, so the techs will be guessing at this stage.
Thanks Dazz, I have added "taken a hissy fit" to my advice list.  :D
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal