i30 Owners Club

Vinyl wrap questions

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all

So I am planning to vinyl wrap my 2016 active X bonnet and potentially side mirrors. My question is does the stuff from eBay that claim to be 4d and 5d like around 1.5m X 3 m for 70-70 bucks is okay or should I really stay away from this cheaper stuff and really opt for 3M or vivid etc?

By eBay stuff I mean like this: :link: 1.52M X 3M 4D BLACK CARBON FIBER FIBRE VINYL CAR WRAP AIR BUBBLE FREE PREMIUM | eBay
  • 2016 i30 Active X

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Kev,

No inside information unfortunately, but if you are going to try and apply it yourself nothing to lose at that price. If it only lasts 12 months and you have to peel it off after that, get the dear stuff next time.

If you get the dear stuff and stuff it up, that will hurt.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Ah thanks. I guess my other concern was the cheaper stuff would they affect my body paint work would they leave residue. I mean all descriptions say they don't but who knows which factory or how they are made lol.

• 2016 i30 Active X

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ah thanks. I guess my other concern was the cheaper stuff would they affect my body paint work would they leave residue. I mean all descriptions say they don't but who knows which factory or how they are made lol.

There would be fairly easy ways to get the residue off later anyway. I wouldn't think it would hurt the paint (but don't sue me) :eek:

The biggest worry would be fading or the adhesive not being as good and the stuff peeling at the edges fairly quickly, but you would expect some warranty. Good feedback for the seller is a good sign and if you can find a brand quoted, search for reviews. Cost isn't always an indicator of quality.  :cool:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hey kevy,
,have you done this before, 
might pay to do a couple of practice goes first on a donor ( no not mine)from wreckers or similar .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi no, I haven't but has been on my to do list to give it a try. And worst is I can always take it off, if I am not happy with it. But was going to give myself a good half of the day to take my time with it, hopefully on a nice warmer day.
  • 2016 i30 Active X

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
And I failed miserably and ended up ruining a 4d carbon fibre print and a matt black vinyl... this is more a two person job lol thought I'd could get away with it given the GD bonnet size is smaller than most, it's the curve dip that happens on the shape of the bonnet where I had the most difficulty. Might leave it to the professionals. Heard good things about Carbon Demon in Sydney, so I might bring it to them.
  • 2016 i30 Active X

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
That is a shame,I hate to think what a mess I would make if I tried it. I am not even allowed to wrap the Christmas presents.  :(  Sounds like letting the experienced to do it is the way to go. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Bummer,  but at least you had go, as they say "chalk it up to experience ".
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bet you are glad you opted for the cheaper film.  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal