i30 Owners Club

Paint problem

John B · 27 · 8264

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Have a problem with my daughters 2013 GD i30. On the rear passenger door handle there is bubbling. It looks like it could be the paint protection lifting. She had an added Extra with the dealer ( X-Pack Vehicle Protecter ). Looking at the warranty exclusions it could be a waste of money as it states " does not cover lifting of the clear coat ". Has anybody else had this problem?  Cant get into Hyundai for a few weeks as my Daughter will be away with the car. All comments welcome.

:link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Have a problem with my daughters 2013 GD i30. On the rear passenger door handle there is bubbling. It looks like it could be the paint protection lifting. She had an added Extra with the dealer ( X-Pack Vehicle Protecter ). Looking at the warranty exclusions it could be a waste of money as it states " does not cover lifting of the clear coat ". Has anybody else had this problem?  Cant get into Hyundai for a few weeks as my Daughter will be away with the car. All comments welcome.

what's the paint code?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

what's the paint code?
actually maybe forget about that. I had the idea to simply order a brand new one from Korea but part number not coming up. For Mine I think each handle colour coded $12 USD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
could be in business. may have had the wrong catalog. Do you want to pm the VIN to me?

If I have the correct one $10.40 USD each for the handle. The little cap adds 3.60 so $14 USD per unit

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
 Paint code is RY7 . Is the handle much problem to remove ? I cant see HY being interested seeing they get an outside company to do it, they will probably say all claims are with the company Motorone who do the X Pack. Thanks for trying for me.  :goodjob2:  I will see if the daughter is in and get the vin number.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Paint code is RY7 . Is the handle much problem to remove ? I cant see HY being interested seeing they get an outside company to do it, they will probably say all claims are with the company Motorone who do the X Pack. Thanks for trying for me.  :goodjob2:  I will see if the daughter is in and get the vin number.
My brother in laws daughter has i20, clear gone under warranty but fine print I think excluded it. mainly all the plastic bits.
Germanium Red
If they have followed similar design to FD it is piss easy.

82651A5050YR7 Handle

83652A5050YR7 Cap

Just busy on another message need to triple check correct side or get the dealer to provide part numbers.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Not a stocked item at Koraps. You'll have to create an account and request warehousing to see if it is available.

Someone in the GD department hopefully can clarify removal but on FD there is a plastic cover/cap just inside the door inline with the handle. Remove that cap and then 8mm bolt. This retains the cover piece. Remove bolt, pull handle and pop cover out. Then the handle with one sharp movement pul towards the door end the cap was. This will unhook kit and it will simple come out. That's for FD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Happening on a couple of my daughter's handles on her Accent too.
As she has a couple of small scrapes from bogan drivers in Darwin car parks she's not too worried about it. Car is pretty much 5 years old too. I peeled back the clear bits and you can hardly notice it now. As long as it's only the door handles she can live with it for now.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
As she has a couple of small scrapes from bogan drivers in Darwin car parks she's not too worried about it. Car is pretty much 5 years old too. I peeled back the clear bits and you can hardly notice it now. As long as it's only the door handles she can live with it for now.

Thank you, that is handy to know. Did you have to peel the entire handle, and did you just use a plastic scraper ?
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
ok VR7 is Brilliant Red. Simply replace the last 3 characters with your code , that's the colour coded part number.

So YR7 now becomes VR7 and that colour is not coming up so likely not a colour in Korea.

Sorry, what a goose chase that was.

Maybe  lightweight wet and dry and clear coat it. Paint is not my strong point. :crazy1:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Ok, thank you for taking the time and trouble, my daughter has always given me things that are difficult to sort out.  :D  I guess I will end up trying to fix it myself, the wet & dry plus clear coat maybe the way to go,in which case I will definitely have to remove the handle. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
JB,
wreckers or "The touch up guys ", ? ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
JB,
wreckers or "The touch up guys ", ? ?

Yes other options thanks mick. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Thank you, that is handy to know. Did you have to peel the entire handle, and did you just use a plastic scraper ?
Just used my finger nail. Bit still to come. I'll monitor it for a while but reapplying the clear coat looks like the go.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
That was just to plant the idea. See this:

:link: Chrome Door Handle Cover + Bowl fit for HYUNDAI Elantra i30 Molding Trim 2108AB | eBay

Tried that one as well when I used the first link but still said not compatible for 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8.  :undecided:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
As far as i recall the door handle can be removed by taking screws/bolts out from the open  door  edge.

No need to remove panels etc
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thank you Gonz & Dazz, Certainly an easy way to fix the problem . Looks like the last links could be ok for the rear but being chrome I would have to  fit them to all four doors but the fronts look like they would not accomodate the keyless entry square button. I suppose I could try to cut out  a small square but it could look a bit rough. Appreciate your help.  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
As far as i recall the door handle can be removed by taking screws/bolts out from the open  door  edge.

No need to remove panels etc

Thanks for that. Had a look for plugs to get to the screw on the door edge and there are none. The door panel looks like it is in two seperate parts so I am wondering if the top plastic trim can be removed to get to the screw from there.I will have to investigate that more.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thank you Gonz & Dazz, Certainly an easy way to fix the problem . Looks like the last links could be ok for the rear but being chrome I would have to  fit them to all four doors but the fronts look like they would not accomodate the keyless entry square button. I suppose I could try to cut out  a small square but it could look a bit rough. Appreciate your help.  :goodjob2:

Trish's had a fake button on the front ones which can actually be pushed out.

uploading images

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bloody oath I'm good (you ask me I'll tell you!)  :snigger:

:link: Fit For 2011-2015 Hyundai ELANTRA Smart Key Chrome Door Handle Cover Trim Catch | eBay

Pretty sure these will fit (did a bit of research at the time and as best I could tell Elantra sedan and i30 hatch have same handles)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Bloody oath I'm good (you ask me I'll tell you!)  :snigger:

:link: Fit For 2011-2015 Hyundai ELANTRA Smart Key Chrome Door Handle Cover Trim Catch | eBay

Pretty sure these will fit (did a bit of research at the time and as best I could tell Elantra sedan and i30 hatch have same handles)

Yayhhhh, That looks right. Shame they don't list the GD 130 but they sure look the same. Just have to see how the daughter feels about chrome & not the red. She is one for sticking to original. Thank you Dazz and others for your help. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We paid about  $30 for Trish's

If you get them just check the back edges before you stick them on. There is a bit of a ridge on Trish's that I probably would have slightly sanded first if I'd known. It feels a bit sharp, but not sharp enough to cut.  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal