i30 Owners Club

i30 2009 with 200000km? suggestions

ssen0001 · 44 · 15319

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I guess the lady has made up her mind by now   :whistler: but we lads can still jabber on about prices and KMs.  :twisted:
Now is the time to buy a car...bargain hard and buy cheap.
Irrespective of the self congratulatory budget drivel we are about to hear from Scott Morrison,  there isn't a lot of cash out there.
Mr Average has over spent and he currently has deep pockets. From personal experience, I can assure you that rents and car prices are at an all time low . Mr Average is not on the move and is not buying cars. This sort of downturn flows on. I went into a shopping centre in West End a few weeks ago ( in this suburb people spend cash big-time) 9 shops were vacant, that's about 30% of the tenants.  :disapp:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@nzenigma

Some places in Tassie seem to be ending up with too many empty shops. I think that internet sales have a fair bit to do with it. In a lot of cases bricks and motar shops can't compete unless they have an effective website and can supplement their turnover that way. I now buy 90% of my stuff online due to pricing and availability.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@nzenigma

Some places in Tassie seem to be ending up with too many empty shops. I think that internet sales have a fair bit to do with it. In a lot of cases bricks and motar shops can't compete unless they have an effective website and can supplement their turnover that way. I now buy 90% of my stuff online due to pricing and availability.  :cool:

Dazz, I understand digital disruption, but.... homes offered for rent online are not being let, same with cars at a realistic price, the shopping centre I mentioned caters for backpackers and new  Australians. This is an early lucrative stamping ground for me when I was in business in the area... solid Greek and then Vietnamese people. Still many friends  there. :goodjob2: And remains , for me, an economic benchmark.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@nzenigma

Dazz, I understand digital disruption, but.... homes offered for rent online are not being let, same with cars at a realistic price, the shopping centre I mentioned caters for backpackers and new  Australians. This is an early lucrative stamping ground for me when I was in business in the area... solid Greek and then Vietnamese people. Still many friends  there. :goodjob2: And remains , for me, an economic benchmark.
Talk about digital disruption :faint: Do you want a 4th response  Gary? Must be water in the lines
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I hope you're wrong Gary, but you make some compelling points. Tassie is actually travelling reasonably well overall. Maybe Queensland's bubble has started to burst?  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I hope you're wrong Gary, but you make some compelling points. Tassie is actually travelling reasonably well overall. Maybe Queensland's bubble has started to burst?  :cool:

Have been thinking about that Dazz. I am observing Queensland conditions. It may be different in other states.  :victory:
Last week I was talking to a friend/car dealer who has moved from the Sunny Coast down to Tazzie. He was saying he was doing ok except you cant sell a bad car down there because the whole island will know about it by end of the week.  :blubber:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Have been thinking about that Dazz. I am observing Queensland conditions. It may be different in other states.  :victory:
Last week I was talking to a friend/car dealer who has moved from the Sunny Coast down to Tazzie. He was saying he was doing ok except you cant sell a bad car down there because the whole island will know about it by end of the week.  :blubber:

Yes, true. Word of mouth is good and bad in Tassie.

When I was managing Radio Rentals down here. My store (Devonport) ended up being the biggest and the best in the whole of Australia - out of 70 stores! The CEO asked me how we were doing it. Much better market penetration versus population than anywhere else. I said it was mainly due to positive word of mouth. When someone needed a new fridge or washer their friends said nice things about our staff and service and it kind of snowballed. I got lots of rewards at that time.  :victory:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Similar in NZ too. :goodjob:
 Corporate  PR language also tends to lack jargon and is more down to earth.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
only things that went wrong are 3 window switches

This happened to my i30 as well. I think grime builds up inside the switch contacts causing them to fail. I cleaned mine out (all four doors) at the 170'000km mark and again recently at 245'000km as the passenger front window would roll down with the driver side switch, but not raise again. I cleaned the switches on the PCB with some isopropyl alcohol and it has been flawless since!

Also, uber jealous of your Cagiva! I love the look of those bikes with the dual headlights ala the Africa Twin. I have always liked the 'odd' bikes like the Elefant, the Navigator and the Aprilia Caponord :)

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I guess the lady has made up her mind by now   :whistler: but we lads can still jabber on about prices and KMs.  :twisted:
Irrespective of the self congratulatory budget drivel we are about to hear from Scott Morrison,  there isn't a lot of cash out there.
Mr Average has over spent and he currently has deep pockets. From personal experience, I can assure you that rents and car prices are at an all time low . Mr Average is not on the move and is not buying cars. This sort of downturn flows on. I went into a shopping centre in West End a few weeks ago ( in this suburb people spend cash big-time) 9 shops were vacant, that's about 30% of the tenants.  :disapp:

With respect new car sales are up slightly on last years record high, so they are still being purchased.

Shops are empty everywhere, I believe that this is down to more retail being done online, and also every new development seems to want to put shops/cafes/resturants on their ground floor level makes for a nice image on the presale artwork. In reality they will never be filled because there are far too many empty shops around already.

Personally think they would be better designing cheaper units on the ground floor for the elderly 

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

With respect new car sales are up slightly on last years record high, so they are still being purchased.

Shops are empty everywhere, I believe that this is down to more retail being done online, and also every new development seems to want to put shops/cafes/resturants on their ground floor level makes for a nice image on the presale artwork. In reality they will never be filled because there are far too many empty shops around already.

Personally think they would be better designing cheaper units on the ground floor for the elderly

That's a really good point about the new shops being built when there are so many empty one already. Seen that happening a lot. Sometimes they pinch businesses from older shopping centres too. Either way the result is more empty shops.  :head_butt:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sorry I have to disagree with Beerman. The actions of the working class has been my business barometer  since the 1980s.  Lesson 1:My first business was based in the already mentioned west end.. I succeeded because they are working class spenders. In another up market suburb I would have probably gone under.
Sure we all purchase online , but is the money being spent and circulated back into our community? Evidence would say not.
This also applies to very much to 2nd hand v. new car sales.

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

• 2018 i30 SR Man. - Blue
Work is the slowest it's been since 1992, according to the boss. We've shed half our staff, and the rest of us are..not busy. West Perth shopping area is half empty, even banks and cafes have closed up shop! The CPI has been dropping for 3 years over here. Our current vehicle is on novated lease...residual value of $2000 in Oct., so I'll pay it off and may well just keep it!
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Work is the slowest it's been since 1992, according to the boss. We've shed half our staff, and the rest of us are..not busy. West Perth shopping area is half empty, even banks and cafes have closed up shop! The CPI has been dropping for 3 years over here. Our current vehicle is on novated lease...residual value of $2000 in Oct., so I'll pay it off and may well just keep it!

Wow, that doesn't sound good. I didn't pick up things were that bad in Perth when i was last there in January. I knew it was off the boil a bit. Things have always been relatively dear over there as in Takeaway food and stuff, but I notice it is closer to Tassie prices than it used to be. I expect to be back over there in July. We might be able to catch up for a cuppa.  :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal