i30 Owners Club

PD2 Elite 2.0L petrol - 5,000 km testimonial

UX305 · 7 · 17832

Offline UX305

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi all,

Have been lurking occasionally in this forum and thought about sharing my first experience with Hyundai and in particular my PD2 Elite 2.0L petrol. This is the middle trim (above Go and Active, below SR and Premium).

I purchased this car for a little under AUD 28k driveaway (all-in). It is my first Hyundai after previously owning Mazda CX5, Ford Fiesta (both new) and before that Toyota Corolla, and my very first car Suzuki Vitara (both second hand). Obviously, I’m not a fan of any particular brand so pretty neutral in the market. There has been no problem whatsoever with the car, as it should be (just 5,000 km travelled).

What I like:
+ The 2.0 engine and auto transmission (which is actually a base unit same as in the Go and Active): It is 98% of the time more than adequate. It is certainly not underpowered. Took it up the hills of national parks no problem. And in rare events when I feel more aggressive in motorway overtaking, I just flick to Sport mode, the engine adds about 1k RPM and pulling power is always at the tip of my foot, the car instantly moves. I really like it. It’s not the most fuel efficient engine but it doesn’t bother me (I average 8L/100km).
+ The ride: The ride feels sporty, firm in a nice way, with pretty 17”alloys (which I think, other than the smaller size, look better than the SR’s 18” alloys). The car corners really well despite just having a torsion beam for the rear suspension (but my last car was the CX5 SUV which rolled more so maybe I’m too easily satisfied now, haha).
+ The TECH: This car has all the technology I could think… amongst them keyless entry and start/stop button (extremely useful when carrying my little kid AND grocery bags AND wearing slim fit trousers), auto wiper, auto headlights, auto hold, Apple/Android with voice command, standard GPS sat-nav (very useful backup when we venture to remote areas and no mobile phone signal), smartphone wireless charging (amazingly useful when leaving home in a hurry), rear cross radar, active lane assist, and my favourite is the smart cruise control the car accelerates and brakes itself according to the set speed limit and the distance to the vehicle in front, plus the AEB. Now, many people say how lazy can a driver be to need all this tech. And I can understand, because before this car I’ve always had base models without much tech and I too never complained. But after experiencing all this tech, I have to say all this tech are, actually, really useful and help to make my life that much easier. So why not! I AM lazy  :D
+ The luxury feel: I like the chrome around the windows, leatherette interior, covered cupholders/center console, sliding center arm rest… it looks like a high trim, it looks luxury, and it’s a good feeling.
+ The exterior look: I have mixed feeling about the grill, but overall from front, side to rear it’s a very pretty car with flowing lines and slim profile. It’s not perfect but it’s the best looking one for me, personally (it’s subjective), in the market today.
+ Practicality: All the buttons on the steering wheel are perfect, lots of interior storage, and the boot size is great (passed the road trip test with my kid’s bike, scooter, and all).

What I miss:
- Could be more fun: I said this is a pretty fun car but in truth I could use some more fun (i.e. power)! Seriously planning of getting a warm or even hot hatch next time.
- Interior look and feel: First, it’s a nice, well-put-together interior and the center screen is nicely located high up and functions perfectly, but it doesn’t look serious. Some reviewers said it looked a bit like a Fisher Price toy tablet and I agree. It’s not bad, but it could be more classy (a Kia, Mazda, VW screen is classier). Secondly, I think the interior could be much nicer if they replaced the hard plastic, horizontal part of the dash with an ambience (alu, wood or carbon look or something) horizontal bar that goes all the way to the doors (and yes, the insides of the doors look too plain).
- The “manual” lever goes counter intuitive (push forward to go up a gear) for me… it doesn’t feel at all connected to the engine either. So I never use it anyway. Not sure if it would be different if there were paddle shifters on this car.
- LED tail and head lights: I think Hyundai is being cheapskate not putting LEDs on this trim. Come on.

Conclusion:
It’s a great car and I’m always looking forward to drive it. I always refuse when my wife or a mate offers to take turns driving it on road trips (I don’t need rest from driving this car). It’s also been a great first foray for me into the higher trim of a car of any make/model… and great to experience all this technology in today’s world.

If I could turn back time and with the same money, would I buy the PD2 Elite again? Never 100% sure but I think Yes. The only other interesting options for me today at this pricepoint would be the manual SR 1.6T (more fun? but a little less tech (due to the manual)?) or the Golf lower trim (better interior? better engine? but also less tech and less luxury? and more expensive maintenance?)… I am also never fully convinced about driving manual again, nor about using DCT/DSG transmission (always had doubt about low speed hesitation). Never an easy choice...

Would I buy a Hyundai again next time? It’s very possible. This car is so far the best I've ever had, but it’s not perfect. I think no car in the current hatch market is perfect. That said, in the next years, new models will be introduced and the competition should heat up in terms of everything, I’m especially looking at:
-   All-new (2019?) Mazda 3 that will finally come with Apple/Android connectivity
-   All-new VW Golf (current Golf has the better interior look and feel and, what I liked the most, better/deeper engine sound than my Hyundai)

I also think that.. we should not buy a new model within their first year from launch. Manufacturers usually learn and then release an improved new model in the second year (just like Hyundai released PD2), well before the mid-life facelift. So, the new Mazda will only become a viable option from 2020, and the VW even later, at least for me.

Some of my mates really like the looks of the all-new Corolla hatch that’s just been launched but it is not for my taste at all, so it’s an easy pass.

What is certain is that I will never go back to buying base model again after this! 😊

Hope this helps readers and potential buyers!

Cheers,
Al
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 04:10:01 by UX305 »
  • 2018 PD2 2.0 Elite White

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6 "Blue"
Nice review. I have the SR Premium and the interior is nicer. Probably would have preferred the Premium's tan though. I feel like the 1.6 turbo wants to do more, but mostly I have it in eco mode for city driving, so that settles it down.
  • 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt turbo DCT, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Quite a comprehensive review  :goodjob: I think at the 28k price point I personally would have bought the SR with DCT as they’re a great box, it would have ticked off most of your extra requirements, you would have also got LED on the rear end which are priced at $4700 alone...or cough up the extra for the SR premium for LED all round :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent report! Thanks heaps for that. Very hard to get a car that ticks all the boxes. I'm extremely happy with my SR but even I sometimes wonder if I should have gone a diesel elite. I am very fuel economy conscious and value a slightly softer quieter ride.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline UX305

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks! Honestly I did not think I could get an PD2 SR DCT at 28k (which was already a stretch of my budget). I was convinced it would cost 30k. Not the best haggler here. I'll watch this forum to get a better idea of the best prices for the next time! (so pleaase keep it going :) )
  • 2018 PD2 2.0 Elite White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks! Honestly I did not think I could get an PD2 SR DCT at 28k (which was already a stretch of my budget). I was convinced it would cost 30k. Not the best haggler here. I'll watch this forum to get a better idea of the best prices for the next time! (so pleaase keep it going :) )

I paid 31k for my Base SR with DCT in June 2017 but did end up getting 2 free services included and some other goodies.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Great honest in depth review.   :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Enjoy! 
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal