i30 Owners Club

Accelerator pedal response

Offline Krakrak

• 2nd Gear
I tried to search but found nothing on this subject.

Since new, my car (2011 Elantra Touring 2.0L engine with manual transmission) is very hard to drive at slow speeds, like in bumper to bumper traffic.

I've been driving for over 20 years, and it's my 10th car, all manuals, so it's not like I need to learn to use the clutch. I also ride a motorcycle almost everyday.

So the problem is that in the first millimiter of pedal travel, nothings happens. Then, suddenly the engine revs up to exactly 1500rpm. Even if I do it very very slowly and gradually, everytime it's nothing then vroomm! 1500rpm...

When I want to crawl forward at walking speed, I have to ride the clutch. And it's very hard to depress the clutch to slow a little, then match the revs to regain a little speed without a big lurch.

Or for example if I want to drive at 30km/h (speed limit in the local streets), I either have to stay in second gear and be at almost 3000rpms (noisy and tiring), or get it in third and having to let go of the accelerator from time to time because if I press it just enough to get some response it's already enough to accelerate beyond that speed.

I talked about that to my dealer, and I got the canned response of drive-by-wire accelerator delay computer blablabla.

Maybe I don't remember correctly, but I think I read that the Beta II engine still has a good old cable operated accelerator pedal. Looking under the hood, I can see the big vaccum operated cruise control thingy with cables going to / from it.

So, am I the only one with this problem? Is there something I can do about it? It's getting to the point that I dread any drive where I know I'll have to get into slow going traffic  :scared:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That doesn't sound good.
I'm unable to offer anything to help here as I drive a diesel but others with petrol models and more mechanical knowledge than I will no doubt respond.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Krakrak

• 2nd Gear
I said the first millimeter, but it's more like the first 1/8" of pedal travel.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
Connect an OBD-II scanner to your car and take a look at the throttle sensor values - it should go smoothly from 0% to 100% (you do not need the engine running for this one to work - just have the key in On position).

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Connect an OBD-II scanner to your car ...

Superb advice - just what I would have recommended. Maybe your canadian dealership could help you there if you don't have an OBDII interface device (tho they're very cheap on eBay and definitely worth having - I use a bluetooth dongle in combination with my droid phone).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The diesel auto is as smooth as silk from idle on, so it is possible, suggest the obd advice as above then dealer to fix, not make excuses  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Krakrak

• 2nd Gear
I didn't know that the OBD II interfaces where this cheap! Thanks for the suggestion.

I have found this discussion : http://www.hyundai-forums.com/197-i30-elantra-touring-forum/108496-electronic-throttle-control-i30.html

It doesn't look good... So it confirms that the 2.0 engine has a cabled throttle but with electronic control (probably to help the computer calculate the amount of fuel to inject). And that I'm not alone with this problem.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've just had my petrol i30 for just over a week and I can "crawl" along by just raising the clutch and not even touch the gas pedal, similar to when I had the diesel i30.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Krakrak

• 2nd Gear
I've just had my petrol i30 for just over a week and I can "crawl" along by just raising the clutch and not even touch the gas pedal, similar to when I had the diesel i30.

I know what you mean, I had a 2000 Jetta TDI and I could get the car rolling from a stop, not touching the throttle, at idle, in third gear. Not good for the clutch but it will amaze your friends!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal