i30 Owners Club

Rear lights on with DRL?

cmm · 28 · 8249

Offline cmm

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South West
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to have the rear lights switched on whenever the car is on? fuse hack/jump or software?

Reason I ask is I've noticed that in certain conditions (light fog, rain, spray, early mornings or late evenings (so most of the time in Britain)) the auto-switching lights don't come on quickly enough. In a situation where I would decide to turn the lights on (and majority of people around have) mine are still off.

I know my front DRL are on but that's not much use on a motorway, you want to know that the people behind can see you clearly.

So if the rear lights were on all the time and only the front DRL/headlights were controlled by the auto-switcher then I think that would be a much safer setup.

Thanks in advance, CM
  • Hyundai i30 Style Nav Blue Drive 1.6 CRDI

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This would be a difficult thing to set up electrically. But, the auto lights are sensed by a photocell in the front centre of the dashboard. If you want them to turn on earlier than they currently do, why not try placing some tinted plastic covering over the sensor and see if that triggers an earlier switch on. You would need to try several different strengths to get what you want. Using this method, it would not require any further modifications of the electrical circuitry. It's worth a try IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hmmm... Phil might be right about it being difficult electrically... (possibly it could also breach legislation in your area/country).

As I understand it what you are asking/wanting is:
  • While your DRLs are on 'full' (i.e. while your headlights, and possibly front 'position'/'park' light, are off) you want your rear 'position'/'park'/'tail' lights to be on - so that people see you from behind... as well as in front (whether ahead or coming towards you).
  • This would alleviate the concerns of slow switch on via. auto-switching of position lights and headlights - when the auto switch-on occurs the rear position lights would remain lit, and the DRLs would dim (or switch off - as appropriate) due to the auto-switching turning on the front position lights and headlights
  • Potentially it might be a little simpler if the front, as well as the rear, position lights were wired to always (when ignition is on, etc) be on - with the DRLs on full power...
  • However that might be problematic - depending on how/what triggers the DRLs to dim (or turn-off) e.g. position lights current draw? headlight current draw? both? and legislation... some places your DRLs have to turn off if any position light or headlight is on, others it is dim on either one, probably other combinations exist.  In this particular case while it could be simpler to have the position lights (front and rear) on all the time - it could get you in trouble if there was a legal requirement against full brightness DRLs when positioning lights are on (not to mention the rewiring, if possible, that may be needed in order the DRLs are not affected by the position lights being on)
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Here in DK Hyundai advertise with a solution where you can get auto lights and rear lights on with DRL's so it's definitely possible..  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Here in DK Hyundai advertise with a solution where you can get auto lights and rear lights on with DRL's so it's definitely possible..  :mrgreen:

Oh interesting - I wonder if it is just a setting in the car then.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline cmm

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South West
Thanks for all your replies so far.

The idea of tinting the sensor is a good one, that might be something to play around with to see if they kick in earlier (and safer).

Comments on legalities with DRL. In the UK you can't have DRLs or foglights on with normal headlights on the grounds of dazzling. Fair enough. But I'm not sure whether that applies to the rear lights (as you wouldn't be dazzling anyone).

So my ideal solution would be;

Daytime: DRL & rear lights
Dusk: Headlights and rear lights
Night-time: Headlights and rear lights

Or just if the headlights and rear lights kicked in earlier.

Interesting that there's a solution for this (mentioned by Asterix), but I doubt Hyundai UK would be able to do anything. From experience they said there was no way to retro-fit an auto-dimming rear view mirror, and there was no solution for the sat-nav to remember that I don't want to hear her voice.

So I think my plan will be to use my phone to detect at what lumen level the lights kick in, then see if I can affect it with tinting the sensor.

Cheers folks.

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
I don't understand why you are all discussing tinting the auto light sensor light and the drls?

To answer the original question..

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to have the rear lights switched on whenever the car is on?

Yes, easy. An auto electrician should be able to do in less than half and hour. Simply remove the drivers side panel, find the wire caring power to the rear tail lights, cut it, and wire to an "ignition on" power source.

When you start the car the tail lights will turn on, and turn off when the car is off. Brake lights will work regularly as they have an independent power source.

I'm not sure of any countries where driving around with tail lights on is illegal, some countries you must drive with your lights on, as this is safer and helps to distinguish parked cars from ones that are occupied.

Hope that helps
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't understand why you are all discussing tinting the auto light sensor light and the drls?

That is a solution, however it would void the warranty on new vehicles and some of us don't want to either (spend the money or be bothered cutting into the wiring.) It seemed the simplest and cheapest way to me  :exclaim:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

That is a solution, however it would void the warranty on new vehicles and some of us don't want to either (spend the money or be bothered cutting into the wiring.) It seemed the simplest and cheapest way to me  :exclaim:

Just turn on the sidelights manually when needed?  This will give side, tail and DRLs.  It works that way on my i20.

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX

I see what you're saying, but I think the OP wanted the rear tail lights to always be on. Covering up the sensor will make the headilghts always turn on yes, but you would still need to connect the rear lights to the front ones.

Would something like that really effect the warranty though? Like if the rearview mirror fell off, and the car's still under warranty surely they can't say "we can't replace the mirror because you have wired your rear tailights to always be on"

• Hyundai i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It would only affect anything related, however, unauthorised tinkering with the wiring could lead to unexpected failures in different electrical systems. This is based on the fact that the electricals are very complicated in new cars and the ecu in particular would be very expensive to repair. Hy could use the tampering as an excuse to stop warranty repairs, IMO.

I think tail lights come on when auto lights is triggered by the sensor.  :exclaim:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Would doing this be legal?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Can't see why illuminating the extents of your vehicle would be illegal. Volvo have done it for years.  :exclaim:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Would only affect the warranty for the two wires that are touched.

They can't say oh you cut two wires, your transmission is stuffed, sorry warranty void. At least in Australia.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline cmm

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South West
I've had another idea based on some of my driving in the crappy UK spring we've had. I think now what would be best is if the dipped and rear lights came on while the windscreen wipers were on, independent of whether it's dark or not.

Going back to my original issue of visibility being bad (due to rain and spray) but the lights not coming on because it's not dark enough, this would solve the problem.

Obviously this isn't going to happen as it would require some serious electrical bodging, but it would be a great thing for Hyundai to include in future models on safety grounds. Especially as drivers we're having the car do more things for us, we're less likely to remember to switch the lights on when it rains or gets dark. I've only had the car 6 months and I've already unlearnt to switch lights on.

So in summary, my amazing wiper-based light switch isn't going to happen so I'm just going to have to switch them over from auto to manual when it looks a bit grim out there. 1st World problems!

Thanks for all your suggestions and comment. Awesome to know you guys and girls are out there!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What about when set to intermittant.

Do lights only operate when a sweep?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you want the rear lights on all the time ( which will cause premature wear ) then simply turn on the park lights, DRL's remain active when park lights are on which I see as the simplest solution.

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Just turn on the sidelights manually when needed?

If you want the rear lights on all the time ( which will cause premature wear ) then simply turn on the park lights

This is almost like someone saying they want cruise control, and your answer is "why not just keep your foot on the pedal". Many people people enjoy autonomous functions in cars.

• Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have to agree Jesse, once you've had Auto wipers it's hard to go back to manual ones...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

If you want the rear lights on all the time ( which will cause premature wear ) then simply turn on the park lights

This is almost like someone saying they want cruise control, and your answer is "why not just keep your foot on the pedal". Many people people enjoy autonomous functions in cars.
Almost eh :snigger: I don't use the cruise control :D

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

But cruise control is not autonomous - it requires two manual operations to start using it and, almost certainly, further manual adjustments whilst in use.  Switching on park/rear lights at the start of a journey is just one operation.

Auto wiper is autonomous being an entirely automatic operation..

Offline eccu i30

• 2nd Gear
The importer of Hyundai answered , i30 2GD, only possibility to get rear lights on with DRL..
"Alongside its own vehicle wiring harness to install new wires to the rear lights is supplied with power at the same time, the daytime running lights"

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
If you want the rear lights on all the time ( which will cause premature wear ) then simply turn on the park lights, DRL's remain active when park lights are on which I see as the simplest solution.

I'm not sure about the situation in the UK, but in Australia, design rules stipulate that DRLs cannot be on when parking lights or headlights are on. In some cars, notably the Germans, they dim and act as parking lights.

I installed a set of after market DRLs to my i30. It was a simple process. The control box had a sensor wire you had to clip onto the parking light wire to switch off the DRLs when parking lights illuminated. Therefore they switch off with parking lights or headlights on.

Now I never use parking lights alone. I wish I had connected them to the low beams instead. That way they would have remained on with parking lights and so during heavy rain I could have switched on parking lights and had rear illumination with DRLs at the same time which is what the OP is trying to achieve.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm not sure about the situation in the UK, but in Australia, design rules stipulate that DRLs cannot be on when parking lights or headlights are on. In some cars, notably the Germans, they dim and act as parking lights.
Well I'm in Australia and my factory DRL's stay on if only using park lights and they don't dim, the DRL's turn off once headlights are activated.

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Well I'm in Australia and my factory DRL's stay on if only using park lights and they don't dim, the DRL's turn off once headlights are activated.

Likewise on my GD Tourer in Australia.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Likewise on my GD Tourer in Australia.

I stand corrected then. May I ask if your cars come with actual separate halogen parking lights in addition to the DRLs?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I stand corrected then. May I ask if your cars come with actual separate halogen parking lights in addition to the DRLs?

Yes, they light up in addition to the DRLs and then turn off when the low beams turn on.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Yes, they light up in addition to the DRLs and then turn off when the low beams turn on.
:whsaid:

All bulbs are separate, low - high and park bulbs - front and rear fog lights and DRL's.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal