i30 Owners Club

I30 GD Tourer (Active) - Rear view camera

Offline jayhash

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
G'day all,

I've got the 2013 GD Tourer, Active model, and I was looking at getting a rear view camera that I saw up for sale on eBay from a genuine parts supplier (part no  95760A5031). The part looks like the camera is built into the Hyundai badge.

My main questions are: is it just a simple plug-and-play from removing the rear view badge and replacing, with the electronics in place within the boot lid; or is it a bit more involved electrical-wise?? Happy to do the work, but would like to hear of anyone else's experiences first before proceeding.

Cheers.
  • 2013 GD Tourer

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: I doubt it will be that straight forward. But I hope so as tbe Wife's 2014 tourer doesn't have a camera either. Will watch this thread with interest.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When I originally enquired about this to Hyundai a couple of years ago I was told it wasn't possible, some module is needed under dash and the head unit (stereo) is not compatible so it would have been hugely expensive.

Cheaper and easier to fit a revision mirror camera as I did from The Car Kit Company :link: Reversing Cameras | The Car Kit Company

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The badge with inbuilt camera will have a significantly deeper fingerprint due to the motor that tilts the badge when the camera is activated, plus there's the wiring and connector to consider.

I'm not so sure you can just whip off the existing badge and slot this thing in.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Not to mention the little motor makes quite a loud wurring noise as you drive off.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Javich

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia
I am not even sure the camera integrated to the badge is for the tourer, to me that is for a hatch.

My elite tourer has the camera between the plate lights which btw are asymmetrical with reference to the middle of the boot, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to host the camera and the boot release button.

I can take a picture later if you need but giving  what I can see in mine and other comments you should stay away from the original option and find alternatives.

• 2015 GD 5 Door Elite Tourer (Wagon), Diesel 1.6lt, 7DP Dual Clutch Auto, Red.

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
In this post here: :link: HOW TO: GD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit

You will find a link to an after market Radio & Reversing Camera system which I was interested in getting feedback (positive & negative) as I'd like to install a Reversing Camera next year.
In the next insurance cycle - I'll install a towbar and a Reversing Camera will then be very useful.

However, it seems strange that there are a few Car Security/Insurance Camera systems (with GPS) which interlink and transfer video back to one master unit to be recorded. But don't have a feature to show the rear camera display on the master unit screen while reversing.  Anyone know of a Car Camera system that has such a feature?

----

As a follow-up to above.

It appears that the LUKAS [QVIA] Qvia z970 WD has a "Live Video" function where you can display the rear camera on the master unit's LCD via a menu selection.  I'm not sure how usable it would be? - but may be cheaper/easier than other options.  The devices user manual can be found here (relevant section 5-4 pg23:  :link: LUKAS > Manual_eng > Qvia z970 WD User's Guide_ENG
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 20:46:50 by Heady »
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Offline jayhash

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Apologies for the delayed reply (Raising a newborn has been fun!!!)  :crazy1:

Thanks for all of your responses.
  • 2013 GD Tourer

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee that was a delayed response!  :Shocked:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal